What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I FIXED MY KSP BUILD!

For weeks I've been trying to diagnose the cause for frequent crashes. I've pinned the cause to the visual enhancement mod I had installed. The crashes ceased once the mod was removed.

Since I can't make heavy part ships in 1.1 due to crashes, I've been working on some simple stuff.

Designed a test recoverable booster + shuttle to bring crew to LKO cheaply. What I built so far validates the concept and whenever crashes will be fixed I'll be able to make bigger stuff ! :D

Pic after a suborbital abort test (apo just over 70km) in which I succesfully landed and recovered the shuttle and booster (save a few engines):

ot2hw5R.png

I took my most reliable crusier, the Watney Class Cruiser, and upgraded it. Of course that means completely redesigning it to make it about twice as large and so heavy that I had to launch it from the runway. Also, the whole ship was about 4/5 the length of the SPH. But yeah. Really big.

But I have a Watney V2 orbiting Kerbin, so it worked!

I started building a battlestation. It will have the capacity to support 30 kerbals indefinitely and to strike any ground target with a precision-molded 6-meter long metal spike. The secret design files are as fo-

Wait, wrong place to be posting this.

Uh, um, I built a machine that spins around which pretends to be a helicopter.

Sent finally first manned vessel to Duna (how epic it was, OMK, seeing how nuclear engines burn, seeing it slowly drifting away from home, weeeee) and right behind them, first base, as I plan to leave a Kerbal at red planet. Of course base seem to lack d-v to make it, which I have not foreseen for some reason. 

So I had to reinstal ksp after some mods were not playing nicely together and I couldn't work out which one it was... 

Which is a shame cause some were looking really cool

xHuoLIo.jpg

After restarting a new career I did the first Muna flyby 

FXdXWFj.jpg

d2Ilrao.jpg

kHwDw0e.jpg

And had enough fuel to make orbit

UxUpnZn.jpg

Designed a new lander, new style, should be duna-able with some parachutes...

PfPs3C1.jpg

vCxzpvt.jpg

tU5YzIg.jpg

The science unit detaches just after liftoff

8RepnWH.jpg

Next up will train upthe cadets with a minmus landing and brief trip into kerbol orbit then off to Duna, the probe program will continue to put up comsats, so they can reach home, but why walk when you can run....

Also loving @Ven's Stock part revamp!!!

Finally got trains working again in KSP, this time with a bit of a twist :) (pun intended)

2AlvWCz.jpg

no more docking port flex

these new models track beautifully, based on a puma rover for the now just while I tweak things before taking the dive back into detriot powered diesel electric and proper trains

using a free spinning docking port under the wheelsets that gets pulled into any direction as the locomotive from the leading cars fixed wheels.. 

much like a B double or triple truck or land train from a themepark that ive been studying at work

stable at speed, tracks as true as an arrow once wheels were tweaked and modded for a bit more power

but BACK IN BUSINESS!! :)

FdhibXO.jpg

Edited by Overland

Had a quite busy day, I first designed and tested a new class of first stage boosters, the "Thor" class, with 9 "Vector" engines. It worked beautifully and will be my new go-to booster for heavy payloads.

20160522220621_1_zps5gsdcshi.jpg

Then I sent the "Gullfax" mining truck to my Mun base, easier said than done as mining trucks aren't particularly aerodynamic... First I tried putting a fairing around it, basically a flying mushroom, it was very unstable and a nightmare to fly. Then I decided to just bruteforce it with two radially mounted "Thor" boosters, that did the trick, more power and weight usually helps counter instability.

20160523003705_1_zpss2aclcon.jpg

20160523012521_1_zpsxyt2yx58.jpg

20160523020829_1_zps67lhwayg.jpg

The mining truck also provides extra power and cooling for the ISRU converter with it's solar panels and 4 built in nuclear reactors.

I built a USI warpdrive-powered tugboat, which I call WT-1 Exploitationator.  It's intended to carry stuff to far away places in a reasonable amount of time.  It ended up weighing nearly 300 tons, once it had enough dV aboard for orbital maneuvering, and is capable of docking to stuff itself besides just having stuff docked to it.  This will be necessary for refueling.

So, then I had to get it off the ground and up to about 1000km where its drive would work.  Fortunately, @NecroBones has the awesome 7.5m parts in Space-Y Extended and they prove up to the task.  It was nearly 2600 tons on the pad.

WT-1 Launch

So yeah, that's a tiny little 2.5m docking port at the very top.  Then a 5m sustainer stage on a 7.5m lifter that has 3.75m SRBs to kickstart it :)  It barely fit in the VAB.  But it got all the way up there without need of asparagus.  I have to snicker at my aversion to that given that this thing has warp drive.....

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I built a USI warpdrive-powered tugboat, which I call WT-1 Exploitationator.  It's intended to carry stuff to far away places in a reasonable amount of time.  It ended up weighing nearly 300 tons, once it had enough dV aboard for orbital maneuvering, and is capable of docking to stuff itself besides just having stuff docked to it.  This will be necessary for refueling.

So, then I had to get it off the ground and up to about 1000km where its drive would work.  Fortunately, @NecroBones has the awesome 7.5m parts in Space-Y Extended and they prove up to the task.  It was nearly 2600 tons on the pad.

WT-1 Launch

So yeah, that's a tiny little 2.5m docking port at the very top.  Then a 5m sustainer stage on a 7.5m lifter that has 3.75m SRBs to kickstart it :)  It barely fit in the VAB.  But it got all the way up there without need of asparagus.  I have to snicker at my aversion to that given that this thing has warp drive.....

I'm just going to come out and say it -- using the awesome USI Alcubierre Drive to speed up menial tasks is brilliant. There's no shame in that.

I've only used it to play around with how cool it is, but if you're worried it makes you less of a steely-eyed rocket Kerbal to use it, I'm weighing in to say that you're good. If you can build THAT, you clearly are capable of wasting time building a slowboat for milk runs.

Here's my much smaller Singularity One:

536B823AA15E672A2CF4199BCFB1159F155F5F4B

1DA6FD766925CAC7494C66396A8D5F38162B3D31

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm

19 hours ago, Exploro said:

I FIXED MY KSP BUILD!

For weeks I've been trying to diagnose the cause for frequent crashes. I've pinned the cause to the visual enhancement mod I had installed. The crashes ceased once the mod was removed.

Just out of curiosity and possibly to try to fix my own game, which mod was it?

4 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

I'm just going to come out and say it -- using the awesome USI Alcubierre Drive to speed up menial tasks is brilliant. There's no shame in that.

Oh, it's going to do more than menial tasks, at least at first.  It's going to carry all the components of my space empire to their destinations.  But yeah, once that's done, it'll mostly be used just for mail delivery and crew rotation :)

Of course, once I get other star systems working as desired........

4 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

I've only used it to play around with how cool it is, but if you're worried it makes you less of a steely-eyed rocket Kerbal to use it, I'm weighing in to say that you're good. If you can build THAT, you clearly are capable of wasting time building a slowboat for milk runs.

Well, I'm not worried about that.  See, in my imaginary universe, at the end of my 1.0.5 game, the Kerbals had safely stashed away over 56,000 science points beyond the tech tree.  That wrought all kinds of significant changes in their society, besides giving them warpdrive.  So once the dust settles from the Supernova of 1.1.x, they will emerge from their burrows in a very futuristic style instead of the same old stuff they've always been doing.

I have been working on making small as possible a combination orbital scanning prob - landing prob. Below is the picture of the latest results. A previous version was launched to Duna then Eve (in flight). I was successful in scanning Ike and landing a probe (with no remaining fuel, it did bounce but stayed together) as well a mapping Duna with a successful landing. Completed the contract which included transmitting science from the surface of both Ike and Duna. I do not think I can get any shorter then this. Two sets are staked so only one rocket is needed to get to both leaving the scanner in orbit (2nd picture below).  Not a bad nights work :-)

cYS3SUJ.jpg 

wNmhJGr.png

Edited by BJ Quest

I just got my first "World Firsts"  messages regarding Kerbol (the sun). World's first fly-by and orbit of Kerbol. I've never sent anything beyond Minmus yet. 

The hilarious part is that these two firsts are because a piece of debris from a failed Mun shot that has been orbiting Kerbin for nearly two years in a highly elliptical orbit just caught a weird slingshot from Mun that sent it on escape out of kerbins soi. 

I find it hilarious. "The world is congratulating our engineers for accidentally sending a piece of trash into solar orbit." 

Sent a crew up to the test bed for interplanetary missions (the Daedalus 1) Using a Venus crew transporter

d40A0lF.jpg

Venus pod detaching from an Aurora rocket

YEG19T0.jpg

MCqx6HN.jpg

Docked tothe Daedalus 1 (the lander on the top is Icarus type 1 adaptedfrom my Mios lander, should be able to get offDuna)

ohV2rm1.jpg

Venus backs away to be used again for other missions

rUj21NG.jpg

To Minmus

q6LBwiC.jpg

nk9N9hM.jpg

4srGCBm.jpg

Rest of the album vanished, not very interesting, but designing theMercury 1 for the first Interplanetary missions!

Here is the Mercury, with it's two light Mios landers, and the heavy Canary lander. Destination is Duna at the first window.

FOUuC3i.jpg

Getting it all docked including the fuel tanks for the Mios's (so they cando their own thing independently) was a pain