What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 minutes ago, Immashift said:

It's interesting that although this thing does close to mach 7 at 13000m, it just -barely- manages orbit.

Are you going too shallow? You could be wasting fuel that way....

I just installed GPP yesterday and I have been having alot of fun sending rovers to other planets. I have been to Niven already with a rover, here's some pics. 

843yCKb.png

Launch from Gael space center, I just love how beautiful this mod is!

qXNsfXl.png

Niven is just like Duna, except with slightly higher gravity, thicker atmosphere, and yellow color. I LOVE IT!

pw98bWj.png

Using a sky-crane method to get the rover down to the surface, but I bet I could have done it with just parachutes, if I had enough of them.

Xq8u2LA.png

After timewarping to daytime, I decided to take a stroll with the rover. The skycrane remains are in the background as well.I just love the terrain! It's so beautiful and diverse, I'm throwing away the stock solar-system forever after getting this. Thanks Galileo!

Just a note, does everyone see that the rover is hovering?

Edited by Alpha 360

Spoiler

Well, I think i put all the images i need into the Spoiler for you. its a short round up of the last few days. I have a Science Buggy that i sent around the KSC when i needed more science and had got new experiments. After that i have many images of my multiple trips to the Mun and Minmus. using my Mun/Minmus Lander design. The same design is capable of both. (although the Mun cuts the DV for the return to the edge).

I have put in place 2 satellites one in the orbit of Kerbin with 2 RA-15 Antenna. on it. then i put my Scansat 1 in orbit of Minmus. The primary polar orbit for the Scanner to work and then secondary to use as a Relay for any missions to Duna. 

Now Duna. Heres the fun part. I have 75 days until my Duna Transfer window opens. And i took the Explore Duna mission. Do a Flyby, Get science, Return. i see all you wonderful people doing 2 stage missions. Mothership/return vehicle and a lander to Duna. So i thought i would give this a go. My lander isn't going to be a manned lander as i don't want to lose anyone to Duna. But. Can you take a look and give any advice over if it will launch or work based on the stats and design?

this is my Unmanned module. Its sole mission will be to touch down on the Red wastes. This is my design for a transfer stage. So the whole thing i supposed to get into Kerbin orbit and then transfer with the Command Pod bringing what science it can collect back?

Are their any parts you can see missing or anything i could do differently? Should i launch the lander stage separately or leave it as one? Would i benefit from a Middle 'Interplanetary' stage between the two? (main launch the orange tank and the Twin Boars next to it. 

Edited by Thrawn889
Neatness/trying to use the spoiler thing to hide most images

2 hours ago, Thrawn889 said:

-parts snipped for compactness-

Now Duna. Heres the fun part. I have 75 days until my Duna Transfer window opens. And i took the Explore Duna mission. Do a Flyby, Get science, Return. i see all you wonderful people doing 2 stage missions. Mothership/return vehicle and a lander to Duna. So i thought i would give this a go. My lander isn't going to be a manned lander as i don't want to lose anyone to Duna. But. Can you take a look and give any advice over if it will launch or work based on the stats and design?

this is my Unmanned module. Its sole mission will be to touch down on the Red wastes. This is my design for a transfer stage. So the whole thing i supposed to get into Kerbin orbit and then transfer with the Command Pod bringing what science it can collect back?

Are their any parts you can see missing or anything i could do differently? Should i launch the lander stage separately or leave it as one? Would i benefit from a Middle 'Interplanetary' stage between the two? (main launch the orange tank and the Twin Boars next to it. 

First off, it may help to upload the craft to KerbalX so that it can be exactly reproduced.

Second, while I'll forgo giving specific advice on the craft (not much recent experience in stock), I do have a recommendation.

Send several landers (probably separately), as well as experiment storage units, either directly on your manned vehicle or separately. That'll allow redundancy and potentially science from multiple biomes. There may have to be some manual experiment shuffling, but it can give nice return on investment to have a manned vehicle rendezvous with unmanned landers; I did a very similar thing a while back (the Ariadne-Theseus project).

EDIT: But do bring some experiments directly onboard your manned vehicle. You can use a scientist to reset a materials bay and goo pod to harvest loads of science from Duna and possibly Kerbolar orbit.

Edited by Starman4308

Decision was taken to stay on Kerbin today. An occasion to build a new plane in minutes, or rather a seaplane!

And here comes the ugly OS-40 for its inaugural flight :

5DE6nvG.png

M3IEHVB.png

(Any similarities with the Beriev A-40 would be purely "accidental")

The take-off was long and slow the aircraft being really heavy for the "boosting" Junos. It took off but was not able to reach an altitude of 1000 m without stalling. So back to the SPH!

C5ATpzJ.png

TXSoxdJ.png

The second try was way better! The craft having good maneuverability and a sufficient rate of climb the Junos were not needed any more. It now was the time to test its abilities to land on water.

y7OO43I.png

It's easy to imagine what would be the result in real life for a seaplane touching the water, even of a calm lake, at 142 kt... hopefully this is KSP. Controls were "heavy" and slow at this speed despite the good speed but the craft was still flying well, and far from stalling.

kiaN39y.png

I, alas, don't get a screenshot of the "impact". Despite a soft touching with the rear the craft simply decelerate to the speed showed in like 1 or 2 seconds and I was pretty sure it would broke up. But no, it survives and well!

rZjHuXI.png

Peaceful shot.

Next step will be to test its cruising altitude and speed. Then I will more than probably replace one of the empty Mk2 fuel tank for a cargo bay, to place all the scientific equipment for the Kerbin's discovery flights.

Edited by XB-70A

I was doing a science mission to the south pole and flew all the way back to final approach at KSC before realising I had lost one of the three sets of landing gear on takeoff and was now stranded in the air like the very first episode of Thunderbirds. Unlike that show however, after several failed landing attempts, I realised the only way I was getting down was to pull a water belly landing in an aircraft with a 60m/s stall speed. It was going to be hairy.

Needless to say, not all the parts survived the resulting Miracle on Booster Bay, but Val and Henzon are alive-if a little shaken. The loss of the expensive engine, more expensive nosecone sensor and most of the left wing will be overlooked in light of their piloting skill.

17 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I was doing a science mission to the south pole and flew all the way back to final approach at KSC before realising I had lost one of the three sets of landing gear on takeoff and was now stranded in the air like the very first episode of Thunderbirds. Unlike that show however, after several failed landing attempts, I realised the only way I was getting down was to pull a water belly landing in an aircraft with a 60m/s stall speed. It was going to be hairy.

Needless to say, not all the parts survived the resulting Miracle on Booster Bay, but Val and Henzon are alive-if a little shaken. The loss of the expensive engine, more expensive nosecone sensor and most of the left wing will be overlooked in light of their piloting skill.

Pics? :P

Slightly embarrassed myself in front of my national superpower fellows...

N5HAhLp.jpg

I realised that HTOL carrier landings were too unreliable for a 50m deck, so I started developing a singe engine VTOL with the panther hooked up to stock hinge.

WTdGMXe.jpg

XA10EKx.jpg

It still needs alot of testing but I think its has a lot of potential to look cool function practically.

eWaQ8Dd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by MiffedStarfish

9 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Pics? :P

I was a little busy with landing it so I didn't take any. Luckily for you, I had a backup save from which to re-enact it more or less the same way.

cas8JuA.png

As you can see, the left wing has no gear. I don't know where I lost it but I took off by flying off the edge of the ice wall so it might have clipped the side.

vyBSHFu.jpg

In this instance, as with the original, the plane hit the water at an angle so the left wing got shredded on contact, pinwheeling the plane enough to wreck the front section and (very fragile) engine and take a chunk out of the right wing too.

50 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

May I ask... does it have solar panels? I haven't seen the fire yet, but I can't see any in the pictures.

I installed them on the 3rd stage section. I used the Largest ones. 

I finally integrated those maps I showed you yesterday into my mission reports thread! Read the rest of the stories here:

Chapter 5: 1937-1943

Time Period: The Second Great War

toKlZKN.png

Above: A map of Kerbin during the WWII era; The orange lines represent the fluctuating borders during the war.

The Second Great War (WWII) has to be the deadliest and largest armed conflict in the history of Kerbin. The war began when a megalomaniac named Schnitzel Kerman decided that it was time Germany became a global superpower, and advanced upon the Western European countries swiftly.

Chapter 6: 1943-1978

Time Period: The Cold War - 1st Half

Kp5MYhr.png

Above: A map of Kerbin during the 1st half of the Cold War era.

After the conclusion of the Second Great War, the Allied nations began the long and drawn-out process of cutting themselves a 'slice of the cake' - ie: Deciding which countries that they occupied during the war would they keep, which countries the other nations kept, and what was located in between. The decision was made to split Germany into two parts - one controlled by the Soviet Union, and one controlled by both Britain and the United States. And, because Berlin was the capital of Germany, Berlin itself was split into two halves, one controlled by the USSR, East Berlin, and one controlled by the remaining Allies, Britain and America, West Berlin.

These are extracts from a fictional history book in my universe that I'll use to explain changes in the borders of the various countries in my mission report series.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

I play with stock sized real solar system installed.

And I was out, minding my own business at Jupiter...

Then I looked at the sun-

5sGkFno.png

That's Mars, Earth, Venus, and Mercury all making a solar transit at the same time.

:) 

Alien life was discovered in the system. Kerbals launched a quick mission to investigate.

Spoiler

alien_life_1.jpeg

I basically took my Tylo mothership, moved the drop tanks further back, replaced the lander with a lab, and moved all fragile parts inside the cargo bay.

alien_life_2.jpeg

After discovering the dead alien, Jeb landed on the other side of the ridge to be safe. And because the mothership can only land uphill reliably.

Spoiler

alien_life_3.jpeg

Descending to the valley. The cargo bay was closed to protect the fragile parts.

Spoiler

alien_life_4.jpeg

It was a bumpy ride. The ship accelerated to 12 m/s on the way down, bounced from the valley floor, and spun wildly around all axes before finally landing down. Jeb blamed the Kraken and parked the ship at a safe distance. Then everyone went out to investigate.

alien_life_5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Triop said:

New bomber for the Krimson air force...

39fLDn6.png

She's so ugly, I love her. ^_^

Have the ground units played checkers or chess on her wings yet?