What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 3/30/2018 at 12:52 PM, kapteenipirk said:

yu4j7mx.png

All of this actually makes me want to do the Space-battleship Yamato in KSP.

LOL...yea, the first thing I was thinking was "cool, but he forgot the Wave Motion Gun  :)    Nice build!

KerbalX user Bad Battery has an airplane in the shape of the USS Excelsior. He expressed his wish that it could be turned into an SSTO.

So I did. Due to the drag it's not a very good SSTO, just enough juice to get it to LKO.

s139Ws9.png

Ipxdejc.png

yol1aWN.png

Parts: 272 - almost 1/10th of my scale 1:6 Excelsior.
Mass: 212t.

It's got 14 Rapiers.

QvhdLrGl.png
Hardbrake scenario.
Simulation of an train doing an hard aerobrake at Duna, this was 5 second before stuff blew up, lesson learned in test 5.
Autostruts are mandatory. trailing heat shields is also mandatory but this was learned in simulation 4. 

Tested a J-2 engine for the Saturn V replica I'm finally getting back to work on. The difference in collision mesh of the new Donut from the Round-8 tank make it much easier to put the ring bit (I think it's the thingy that introduces fuel to the cooling tubes in the engine bell) on the engine now.

gxRllOM.png

It works but I'm realizing the exhaust flame is going to look weird, both with stock and realplume. What do you all think would be better? Realistic looking engines, or Kerbal engines with more appropriate flame? (Might work fine for J-2s, but I think the F-1s are gonna look weird no matter what)

Anyways, for those wondering, it's gonna be for this thing:

akHtd65.jpg

KoeyMiQ.jpg

To do:

add details to Command module

Remove LES, add boost cover, and replace LES again. (This will be a pain in the bum due to all the struts on the LES)

Add S-II, S-IC, and interstages

Maybe use ore tanks to add the black stripes to the rocket, if the part count isn't over 800 or something stupid like that by the time the structure is finished. Me gusta the plain white fairings though. So much nicer than with those yellow stripes around the thing.

...And I just realized a lot of the heavily "strut arted" parts on here, such as the landing legs, are attached to pre-1.4 decouplers. They're still in-game though so this thing loads fine. Please Squad I beg you, do not get rid of those... this took hours... :confused:

14 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

When did Bob become a pilot?

He got bored with test tubes, grabbed the keys and went.  Now he's been promoted for his initiative (and for bringing the equipment back intact).

Job mobility and inclusion are our policies at the Kerbal Space Corp.

I've used XLJedi's Star Ranger SSTO in multiple careers, primarily for Laythe interface, but I decided to build my own based on it with mod parts for my 1.4.1 career.  First flight was a dream - Jeb took her up to 90km then back down right to the runway.  Didn't think to grab any screenshots of the first flight unfortunately but I grabbed pics on the runway after a few tweaks.   Sadly, no time for another test flight today.

cyRYT6o.png?2

f4sW4fq.png?2

20 minutes ago, qzgy said:

because you could"?

This is a perfectly valid reason. -_-

1 hour ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

So I finally decided to post my 51,300 ton beast of a rocket, 

Enough faffing about in the low kiloton range. I challenge you to leave simple fission yields behind and enter the realm of megatons!