What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Testing 1.4.2.

"All right, you primitive greenheads, listen up! You will now bow down before the magnificence of your new overlords!"

mXOZ6lL.png

"Uhm ... we can't bow unless we ragdoll."

"No? We're done here then. Come on girls!"

JsOH2Od.png

I sent a probe to collect science from the low space around the Sun situation. It gets a tad warm here.

HKjw22c.pngKMFPerO.png

And here's my ship farther from the sun where I can actually rotate it to be visible. Turns out I went a little overboard on the delta v. The last two drop tanks aren't even empty yet.

vgBoFrf.png

Edited by KevinW42
Accidentally hit quote instead of edit

I finished a round of joyriding today in GPP. I landed at this other GSC somewhere in the south...The original GSC is still in the default location. :wink: 

nNVUfcZ.jpg

IQlDvKF.jpg

Then I took my very loosely Milano inspired spaceplane for another shakedown run in places very certain. it failed an un-powered decent and lost a wing due to those particular OPT wings (see screenshots above) overloading Shieldnir. I really wanted to land on or near that ice.

QqGlrBl.jpg

otRGFeC.jpg

Didn't do a whole lot in KSP today (or yesterday for that matter). Been kinda drained overall this week.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, qzgy said:

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!

I dare you.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:10 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Like qzgy said, you have to go save Hairy!

By popular demand, and out of pity, I launched a Fetcher probe to grab Hairy's craft and bring it back to Kerbin - the first time I've done this with something that actually had a kerbal on board at the time. I also hired a couple new pilots. Hairy's not the only kerbal with an unfortunate name, it seems.

unfortunatenames_by_littlefiredragon-dc7

Hairy and Anger are siblings whose parents evidently hated them. Hairy prefers to go by Harriet. Anger's name suits him well, though he insists it's pronounced "ahn-JERR."

It also suits my own reaction to a relatively minor but obnoxious glitch.

contractparameters_by_littlefiredragon-d

ALRIGHT I GET IT ALREADY.

Work on Spinel Tiger's Eye Station starts immediately, if only to complete the contract ASAP and thereby stop the flood of notifications.

Edited by Ace in Space
For additional Funny.

1 hour ago, Ace in Space said:

unfortunatenames_by_littlefiredragon-dc7

Hairy and Anger are siblings whose parents evidently hated them. Hairy prefers to go by Harriet. Anger's name suits him well, though he insists it's pronounced "ahn-JERR."

Hah! I love it! :D Sounds like a gritty ‘70’s cop duo.

Coming soon to KRBL-TV! They’re cleaning up the the mean streets and flushing crime... down the drain. This fall, watch out for

HAIRY/ANGER*

*brought to you by Gillette 

16 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Wow, these GEnx-2B engines ended up looking really nice! Here's the link if you want to download them

https://kerbalx.com/Kronus_Aerospace/GEnx-Engine

b3H01Il.jpg

UoHu6ET.jpg

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

How did you make the fans? Stock propellers? I feel this would be a good demonstration of

EDIT: Do you mind building me an engine? A small one? If you can't, I'll try using the stock propeller trick for the fan. By the way, does it have bypass? If it does, you could try dropping a kerbal in while it's running. :)

EDIT #2: I have a challenge for you! Make an engine under 25 parts with opening maintainance doors! I don't know of any cargo bays that are circular and not mk2 or mk3, but hey, you can still give it a try!

Edited by Kebab Kerman

9 minutes ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

How do I do that? I thought Kerbpaint was only 1.0

I have a version for 1.2.2, albeit not working for most parts. It does work for a lot, though, and there is a glitch where you can color a single part and anything attached to it will be colored like that as well. I'm also able to color the parts mid-flight for some reason. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

EDIT: Got a link from KerbalX. Unfortunately, it stops at 1.2.2. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82486/KerbPaint.zip

EDIT #2: Make a 1.2.2 version, please! I want to see these for myself, because I have over 100 mods and I can't find the time to update them.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

On 3/27/2018 at 11:15 PM, LordFerret said:

I've had that problem. Struts will help.

I've had this problem also, with my cargo plane. I started putting the Small Radiator Panels on the rear of the engine nacelles, which worked very well in bleeding off heat. I also used the idea on my Albatross2 (struts on wings and radiator panels), and it can cruise for quite extended periods at about Mach 4.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I fixed the problem with the engines falling off.  Tried autostrut at first, and that didn't cut it, so I buried a strut inside the engine mount to the wing.  I thought it was a weird effect because I haven't seen that with any other engine.

Even with only two Goliaths, my version is absurdly over-powered when compared to the real deal.  I haven't tested the cargo capacity yet.  So far, I've only carried a manned science rover to the next continent over.  Building something narrow enough to fit on the Mk3 cargo bay floor was a challenge in itself.  I would build a rover that fit the widest part or the bay, but then couldn't drive out because it wasn't flat on the floor.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:00 AM, dangerhamster said:

Guilty as charged M'Lud. The rover will fit in a standard Mk3 as standard  but this version has a wider track wheels. The two base modules on the right fit in a standard bay whilst the exploration rover on the left needs the "enhanced" bay.

The rovers have been landed with standard bays and rejigged in the field but this version is meant for uncrewed deployment so needed wide track from the get go.

screenshot20

I thought so.  I've been struggling to fit a materials bay with medium wheels into the standard Mk3 bay.  I like the removable wheels though - I did something similar on my Duna / Ike rover that includes room for 12 Kerbals and a science bay.  Wheels and parachutes are mounted to i-beams and docking ports so that an RCS only mini-tug can connect them in transit.  The whole rover (minus parachutes) will land on Ike, then grab more fuel and chutes from an orbital tug, then cruise over to Duna and explore some more.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:36 AM, Hotel26 said:

If they're not already attached to the fuselage (but are attached to their natural, visible position (such as the wings), take a deep swallow and use the Gizmo to attach everything to the fuselage no matter where it goes in the layout.)

This is the lesson I was given in the SPH first time round by the Masters of the Craft...

Tried that already.  Didn't work.  Luckily it's a simple design - the entire plane is probably 12 pieces - and I didn't lose much time screwing with it.  It was hard to tell what happened at first, because I would see the engines flame out at about the same time they hit the ground and exploded and the plane bounced back into the air... before hitting the ground and exploding.  The goliaths are nearly as tall as the Mk3 fuselage parts, so I couldn't be sure the landing gear compression wasn't allowing the engines to hit the ground.  One little strut fixed the problem where even autostrut couldn't.

That's one thing I'm enjoying with stock prop planes - they're so impossibly slow that max achievable speed is barely enough to blow up a cockpit on impact.  They'll fly reasonably well at 15 m/s, so stalling is never an issue (unless the engine wiggles loose of the bearings).

8 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

How did you make the fans? Stock propellers?

EDIT: Do you mind building me an engine? A small one? If you can't, I'll try using the stock propeller trick for the fan. By the way, does it have bypass? If it does, you could try dropping a kerbal in while it's running. :)

EDIT #2: I have a challenge for you! Make an engine under 25 parts with opening maintainance doors! I don't know of any cargo bays that are circular and not mk2 or mk3, but hey, you can still give it a try!

Sorry dude, the fan is just for show, it doesn't actually rotate or serve any purpose. I honestly have no interest in fully constructing an actual turbofan, as that has already been done before. 

https://kerbalx.com/Malaclypse/Stock-Turbofan

Besides, the engine was designed to be used on an aircraft that I'm currently working on, so making it overly complex would be a bit unnecessary.

You can make whatever you like, it's not like anyone can copyright their designs, and what you're proposing would be pretty cool anyway.

As for your challenge, Maybe? I'm not sure that that is possible to do with a Turbofan engine since the blades alone would amount to 16-27 parts depending on the specific Turbofan in question, but on a small engine that might be something cool to do.

Just now, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Sorry dude, the fan is just for show, it doesn't actually rotate or serve any purpose. I honestly have no interest in fully constructing an actual turbofan, as that has already been done before. 

https://kerbalx.com/Malaclypse/Stock-Turbofan

Besides, the engine was designed to be used on an aircraft that I'm currently working on, so making it overly complex would be a bit unnecessary.

You can make whatever you like, it's not like anyone can copyright their designs, and what you're proposing would be pretty cool anyway.

As for your challenge, Maybe? I'm not sure that that is possible to do with a Turbofan engine since the blades alone would amount to 16-27 parts depending on the specific Turbofan in question, but on a small engine that might be something cool to do.

Darn. I kinda thought you used the stock propeller trick but with more blades.

Today I;

Accidentally Blew Up A Space Station

Started Building A New One

Took out 1 of the 2 solar arrays while building

Had an epic fail during docking resulting in a rapid unplanned disassembly courtesy of the kraken

Finally admitted that I cant dock for :sealed: and installed Mechjeb

Watched in horror as mechjeb proceeded to fly a SSTO full of kerbals through the finished station

Patted myself on the back for remembering to include a nearly indestructible escape system

Then the game crashed.

Kraken: 2 

Escape System: 1

Me: 0

Guess the explosions were fun tho. =P