What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

50 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

You mean Bumper E1?  Thanks! Yes, that's Take Six.  I'm pretty happy with it, though the orbit-payload that last launch went to is about its limit.  In the VAB, MechJeb claims it has just over 10,000 m/s, but the low TWR after booster sep costs a good bit in gravity and aero losses.  Bumper F will almost certainly need to have three or four main engines in the booster stage.  Fortunately, I've got enough flight time on the RD-103 now that igniting four at once at least doesn't virtually guarantee a failure.

For TWR, you could try reducing the thrust limiter on castors, so they last longer, and your sustainer stage will feel better, but depending of your initial TWR, you can manage it.

For me, it's Titan IV and atlas V (heavy too) mostly now (rarely doing saturn launches, to much expensive), most of them have Centaur upper stage.

ATlas V:

pu2Kglq.png

Heavy (Inital TWR not good here, unfinished rocket):

gbHqbbd.png

And saturn:

rpOtkw6.png

I managed to finish Levian Bay's tour of the Joolian moons before plotting a course for home.  Didn't get any nice shots of Bop, but did get Pol:

DD0iAyy.png?2

Finally, heading for home:

rBrBiCL.png?2

I also landed a returning Duna crew.  My reentry with the crew shuttle was nearly perfect - only required a single circle to lose altitude to land at KSC.

Uveo3yx.png?2

RImD9WJ.png?2

PCC-03 Charon was also decommissioned after the Duna crew stripped off the RTG's & science gear.  The new "B" model crew cyclers have much more electrical generation available for Jool & Eeloo missions and will be decommissioned as they return home except PCC-01 Avalon which will remain in orbit as a museum ship or for flights to Eve & Moho.

rxMlzej.png?2

Didn't have too much fuel remaining, only going to impact Mun at a little over at 3 km/s

UfnqhOM.png?2

I launched a rocket with the intent to land on Mimnus... No I didn't make it. Had nothing to do with the rocket. Mid flight, the program hiccuped and froze. It normally hands it back to me after 30 seconds (I timed it) but I figured, "Might as well invest in a program that playable." I force closed the program and deleted it.

Day 2 into Pole2Pole.

The first day was hell, the rover was so underpowered it could only drive 40 km before running out of electric...<_<

So we flew Val in with a new (still piece of crap) stronger buggy.

CsJyqXl.png

After switching the buggy's we are back on track, glad to see some mountains.

DnqaEyG.png

Next up, find a route through the ice valley . . .

eMLS507.png

TBC :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

To get myself back into KSP, I did a quick and sloppy Minmus mission in Sandbox.

pYyzfP2.png

This beautiful hunk of junk is the MN-1 Minraker. I put this together once I remembered that S1.5 parts existed and looked cool.

yE4KnIf.png

Here's the lander portion resting on a slight Minmal slope.

g70V8HV.png

As you can imagine, Jeb was pretty stoked. He also didn't seem to notice his craft had slid about 10 meters in the time it took for him to get out and write something completely inane on the flag.

5RPzGd7.png

After a large amount of orbital stupidity, Jeb plonked her down between two mountains.

anu8agN.png

Jeb was decidedly less stoked and wrote something decidedly less inane. He also seems to have eaten all the soil samples he picked up.

The blasted thing was so over-specced. I probably could have at least hopped a biome or two, or even probably taken it to the Mun. I might try that.

I just started a new science mode save, and began the Spearmint program. Its goal: to make contact with Minmal soil and then immediately rip it apart looking for soil samples.

w6aTvkH.png

This is the Spearmint 1. I was really hoping that I could land on Minmus with the first Spearmint, but I just didn't have the dV. Not pictured is an experiment can on top of the capsule; I took the screenshot before I thought about it.

8lkW00D.png

Here's Bob after putting the Spearmint 1 in orbit. The only reason I didn't let Jeb sneak in was that he couldn't restore experiments.

3b3nqb7.png

I took a glamour shot of Bob cleaning up after a high-Minmus science spree. He's got a thankless job.

DNyc7gA.png

Here's the would-be lander in all its glory. You can almost see the marks where the engineering department frantically ripped off the landing legs when the dV problem came to light.

JQFfRZ9.png

The taunting figure of Minmus hangs above Bob's craft. Not today. Not today...

2KvtHTf.png

This is a shot of Bob screaming down towards Kerbin, both in terms of speed and literal screaming.

dMmkhDd.png

Trust me, the wailing did not stop at splashdown.

eIp853t.png

Here are the results of Spearmint 1. 379.5 science isn't bad for about a month in space and a whole bundle of traumatic memories.

I started working on the instructions for OrX :wink:

Spoiler

OrX - The Loot Box Controversy

Feature List

--OrX HoloCache System--

The OrX HoloCache System brings GeoCaching to KSP ... Now players can go to a location and create a 'HoloCache' that will allow a user to name the location, provide 3 lines of text to describe the location, record the gps location of the HoloCache (as well as up to 10 vessels within a 2km radius) then save that info to a config file ... Any crafts that have a GPS location stored in the HoloCache are also saved as craft files for later spawning

PLEASE NOTE: HoloCache names must have no spaces or characters in them ... only letters and numbers, nothing else or the HoloCache System will get cranky

The the config and craft files created are saved to GameData/OrXHoloCache/'Users HoloCache Name' ... Users can share the directories inside of the GameData/OrXHoloCache directory with other users and the coordinates can be loaded into the HoloCache control menu in the flight scene if they have OrX installed (copy shared HoloCache directories to GameData/OrXHoloCache)

To load a HoloCache ... Open the HoloCache Control menu (green OrX with angled yellow script button) then click on 'Reload HoloCache Data' and any Holocache directory contained within GameData/OrXHoloCache will be added to the list in the menu ... Click on a HoloCache in the list to have a red dot drawn on the world telling you where that location is visually

To creat a HoloCache ... Go to the location you want to create the HoloCache at and open the HoloCache Control menu, then click on 'Spawn Empty HoloCache' and a HoloCache will spawn after which a menu will pop up allowing you to name your HoloCache and provide 3 lines of text to describe the location ... Click on the 'Save HoloCache' button to save the HoloCache (Click on the 'SAVE VESSELS' button to tell the HoloCache to also save up to 10 vessels that are within a 2 km radius of the HoloCache)

When you select a HoloCache location in the HoloCache Control menu, the system will check your distance from that point and if you are not within the physics load range then it will wait a bit of time (based off of how far away you are ... further away the longer between checks) and then check the distance again, but only if a target is selected in the HoloCache Control menu

HoloCaches are spawned in an unknown status but only if you are within physics loading range ... Once the HoloCache spawns, a menu will show up with the description entered at the time that the HoloCache was saved and then the HoloCache part will start to spawn any vessels that were saved when the holo was made if the "SAVE VESSELS" button was used

If using the HoloCache System with BD Armory Continued, vessels will spawn with weapon managers and AI active as well as on the opposite team ... It's a quasi mission creator

-- ADDITIONAL FEATURES IF BD ARMORY CONTINUED IS INSTALLED --

OrX Missions as well as a survival mode (Iron Kerbal) ... PLEASE NOTE: missions are only accesible if BDAc is installed

Enemy spawning system ... Spawns vessels on opposite team with AI and Guard mode active

Enemy Kerbal (OrX) spawning ... some of them are spawned fully armed with KIS weapons and shoot at you (Enemy OrX will chase you ... they also will swim after you if you're in the water)

Sporting Goods Department for spending the Salt you earn from killing enemies ... buy Kerbal upgrades to make you run faster, swim faster, strafe faster, walk faster and jump higher or buy prebuilt vessels etc...

Loot Boxes to rearm yourself with after each level (free of charge)

10 enemy spawn points per mission (Iron Kerbal is random spawning location based off active vessel)

-- REGULAR PARTS

OrX ParaMotor for Paragliding with the stock eva chutes ... Equip the ParaMotor and jump (be sure RCS is not on and your chute is packed)

OrX Scuba Tank and swimming system so you can explore the depths of the oceans .... no need for a Scuba Tank to go swimming but it's better to have enough oxygen since once you run out of oxygen your kerbal goes ragdoll (ragdoll Kerbals can be revived if brought back to the surface)

OrX Tardis for travelling between missions (Tardis works only if BDAc is installed)

Various Helmets and other oddities

Extremely Useless License Aggregate (EULA) Refinery for mining Salt (is in game only if BDAc is installed)

-- WEAPONS AND AMMO (these only work if BDAc is installed)

44 Magnum
AK 74
AT4 - 2
AT4 - 8
Desert Eagle
DSR 50
E11 Blaster
Mk1 Phaser
Smoke Grenade
Glock 17
KUzi Dual Wield Golden Guns
M4
M16
M134 Minigun
Milkor MGL Semi-Automatic Grenade Launcher
Javelin Missile Launcher
Sawn Off Shotgun
Skorpion VZ
Thompson SMG
Uzi
Targeting Cam
Mini Sidewinder
Mini HellFire
Mk19 Grenade Launcher Turret
Mini Bot 16S
Ammo BackPack
Rocket BackPack

PLEASE NOTE: Weapons show up in their own custom editor category (if you wish to remove the weapons from your game, delete the GameData/OrX/Parts/@Weapons directory and the category will no longer be visible) ... Also, to arm guns you must have your jetpack deployed or else the gun will mount pointing straight into the ground

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Today I did my first test run of a full IVA Apollo style trip top the Mun.  Actually went better than I'd expected.  I got Through The Eyes Of A Kerbal, so even when I had to go EVA, It was still 1st person.    RPM of course, which I'd never tried before this and now I don't think I could live without.

Had to quicksave a few times, as once I fired the wrong engines and didn't realize why my orbit wasn't changing until something exploded.  One of my cats was being annoying during the actual lunar landing, so I ended up braking too late and slammed into the surface.

Had to do an emergency correction on my return orbit just before re-entry because I forgot how to transfer Val out of the MK1 Lander Can, and needed a normal orbit to figure myself out again.  Luckily I had plenty of extra fuel.

While it's awesome that you can go EVA while IVA by clicking on the hatch, it's really super annoying that you can't do so when your Kerbal can't see the hatch.  So even though the MK1 Lander Can has a hatch, I have to send one of the other two out to either let her out, or just do a normal transfer... which I can do from outside, but not inside.  Also it went to an outside camera view when getting back in, and when switching between vessels.  Gotta be a way around these issues.

Also be neat if I could set maneuver nodes without going into map view.

Anyway, didn't think to grab many screenshots.  Probably do a video when I get it down.

f00screenshot25.png867screenshot28.png

83dscreenshot29.png262screenshot30.png

Oh, and it was done with a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick and a numpad.  Really only touched the keyboard during the EVA.

My RO/RP-1 Career is going very well, I'm in 1990, so doing late stuff, but I have so much things going, like 5 interplanetary missions (3 with gravity assists!), so to "relax" a bit, I just started a new career (RSS/RO/RP-1), but all in soviet way, so will launch from Baikonour, and use soviet launch vehicle, spacecrafts, probes, as much as I can.

One of the first missions, a copy of the V2 rocket maid by the russian (after WW2, well juust after the capitulation,  a race occured between URSS and USA to found the V2 factory and learn about it, also, found its creator, Werner von Braun, but Americans were first! It's maybe the very beginning of the space race before actually doing it in space :)), and so the engine is a early RD-100 (copy of the V2 engine) burning Lox/Alcohol:

max Ap: 180 km

1CZM3la.png

And happy because, as I start knowing quite well US rocketry/history, it's not the same for russian, so a lot of stuff to learn about, great! :)

Edited by kurgut

[RSS/RO/RP-1] Spuuutnik! Launched with venerable R7 rocket. Was quite (as hell!) expensive, and I had 2 rocket exploded due to engine failures (due to polit bureau budget restrictions applied to well, all stuff, engine tests, etc.., whereas our vodka budget remains higher than our engine budget.. :sticktongue:) But third attempt was the good one! And the contract gave us good amount of founding!

First attempt, booster failure few meters above launchpad:

ATvPzFz.png

Now, the good one!

Launch:

IeoYKsq.png

Boosters separation, forming nice Korolev cross

pzCe24c.png

Core stage finishing putting Sput' into orbit

lg72WBw.png

Sputnik released! Bip..Bip..Bip..

HPAvEoG.png

18 hours ago, kurgut said:

For TWR, you could try reducing the thrust limiter on castors, so they last longer, and your sustainer stage will feel better, but depending of your initial TWR, you can manage it.

For me, it's Titan IV and atlas V (heavy too) mostly now (rarely doing saturn launches, to much expensive), most of them have Centaur upper stage.

I had looked at limiting the thrust on one pair of the Castors to get staggered booster sep back on the Bumper D series, and found the TWR wasn't adequate, but I'll check it again.  If I could avoid the high gravity losses after booster sep, I might be able to do some "space high" and comsat contracts with Bumper E1 instead of having to grind funds and then wait for the pad upgrades to accommodate Bumper F1 (4x RD-103 booster, 1xRD-103 full burn second stage, it's over 120 T and 35 m tall).

I don't have anything similar to Titan I or Atlas anything yet, I'm still waiting for those lazy-butts in R&D to put down their coffee and invent some engines with more thrust and higher Isp than these alcohol-burners.  You'd think they'd never seen a jet engine running on kerosene.

16 hours ago, chazbanx said:

trying to figure out how to play this game.

I'd recommend searching YouTube for "KSP" or "Kerbal Space Program" and "tutorial".  As long as you get a tutorial based on 1.2.2 or later, almost everything you see should apply.  I didn't find the game difficult, even when I started playing, but I've been a rocket enthusiast since the Gemini program was still ongoing (and they were calling the planned Moon rocket "Nova"), built model rockets about the time Apollo ended, etc., so understood about things like rocket stability, thrust-to-weight ratio, and the basics of orbital mechanics.

Long holiday weekend, coupled with excessively rainy weekend has given me a lot of time to get some KSP in:

• Sent Jeb and Bob to the Mun and back in one mission.  Then sent them to Minmus, with a quick stop in Kerbol orbit.....Jeb and Bob are now up to level 3 in my career save.
  • Sent the B-Team (they hate it when I call them that) of Val, Bill, and Merbus to Minmus and Kerbol orbit.   Still need to have them land on the Mun to get to level 3.  Should take care of that this afternoon.
  • Built a large tanker that I hope will have enough fuel to reach Duna orbit.   I'm not ready yet for major Duna missions, but, in advancing through my career I saw a transfer window coming so I figured I send a fuel tanker that way that could be used to assist later missions.  Duna tanker is sitting in Kerbin orbit, waiting a few more days for optimal window to open.
  • Working on Science Lab for Kerbin orbit, polar ore scanning satellites, and finishing off satellite comms network (another reason not ready for full Duna missions).