What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So with all of the science I made after a successful Minmus landing and return I decided to go on and try my luck with a little flight time in planes. Also, I accepted a measure temperature contract that as been in the way for a while now so decided to try and knock some of those out too. While doing my tests flights, I noticed how nervous Bob was and how happy Jebediah is in the situation. I really don't think Bob is in the right business I mean the plane was flying fine.

b3bWaBB.png?1

PIIvyMo.png?1

8gl2w1H.png?1

I started my weekend by discovering that my 'recover 1100 ore from Minmus landed on Kerbin' mission did not end with Recovery, but instead required 10 seconds of stability.

First landing: Splash!/Recover! huh, only 550 ore... something must have broken... F9

Second landing: reverse thrust around 44km to put landing on land, then successfully got this very tall and narrow vessel stable on the ground! Recover! Yep, over 1100 ore... why did the mission not complete? AARG! F9

Third & fourth landings: Almost... tip/crash/boom/F9

Fifth: landed, waiting, complete! recover!

My first Duna mission since a sandbox attempt in 0.90 launched from Minmus with full fuel and 1500 ore, after getting orbit then a ~1800 m/s retrograde burn(retrograde to both Minmus and Kerbin as I did not want to wait for the Minmus orbit to get to the right spot and Duna is in a position that requires swinging in close to Eve's orbit to catch up, this being only day 60 after all), I finished refining all the ore and had roughly 7km/s delta-v left(full fuel with no ore is ~8km/s, so I probably got more than 1km/s from the ore).

A bit of node twiddling has me on a trajectory to get to Duna in ~230 days and to get into orbit of Ike with nearly 1km/s delta-v left for a landing.

Then I went back and checked my Duna resource scanner probe and the route that one was on. Turns out it would have reached Duna orbit with ~-1km/s delta-v so that required some fixing. Now it should be in a roughly polar orbit of Duna performing Aerocatpure/braking with (hopefully) several hundred m/s delta-v left, and perhaps enough fuel to get into a polar Ike orbit in the 30 days it has before the manned mission is scheduled to arrive. (worst case scenario: the Duna mission needs to land and refuel on Ike so it can Klaw the scanner and refuel it so it can properly scan Ike and Duna) Expecting to leave the scan-sat equipped probe in orbit after the mission is complete. I'll probably end up refueling it before the manned mission leaves, but I'm not sure where it will go after it finishes scanning Ike and Duna.

I did notice however, that if you have a vehicle or maneuver node in the SOI, you can no longer target the planet(you can't target the planet from inside it's SOI, and if you have a node or vehicle in the SOI, you select that instead of getting the option of targeting the planet). I should probably take a look at the key-bindings to see if I missed something, but this might be a bug...

I also landed a base on Minmus, rescuing 2 pilots(drat!), but it turns out that I forgot the docking port, so I launched a new vessel to complete that part of the mission...

On the plus side my 2nd and 3rd Minmus/Sol training missions have returned so now I have lots of level 3 Kerbals available for other missions... Wonder if I should launch for Gilly or Moho...

In fact, it's a mint flavoured ice-cream cake walk.

I was tempted to go with the ice cream cake joke...

That said, I sent Jeb on an expedition to the artic in a rather poorly build prop driven plane... It may not take off easily (seems off balance) and may be a bit twitchy when turning but it cruises like a dream and lands quite well...

screenshot16_zpsctjuvw8t.png

Unfortunately since I drained all the fuel from 2 of the 3 tanks he ran out of fuel and had to turn back, still I hadn't turned back early enough (was already over half fuel spent when I realized I wouldn't make it) and had to put down in the ocean.

I have lost 3 Kerbals today (2-star pilot and two 1-star scientists) who have perished in launch accident when they were on their mission to Minmus. This accident was made even worse by it being my first launch accident on this save (at least when Kerbals are riding a rocket) and also was first on which I decided not to use LES to save just that tiny bit of mass. I went to retry that mission with a bit modified craft and new crew, but that cost me nice amount of money. I had to take on new scientists and a pilot because everyone else was on a mission somewhere and now I have to again save money to upgrade R&D (I was just about 200k funds away, now it is again almost 1,5 million funds)

ASTRONAUT PRESUMED DEAD

From KSC: Earlier today an unnamed, high-ranking administrator from the Kerbal Space Program (KSP) confirmed that Jebediah B. Kerman is indeed missing in action and presumed to be dead. Jebediah had been piloting the Explorer 1 spacecraft on its maiden voyage when it broke up during reentry. The administrator said that mission control lost contact with Jebediah just after re-entering the atmosphere. Witness reported a fireball in the sky followed by strange black debris landing around the supposed crash site. According to the administrator, "the most likely cause of breakup was high temperatures, due to the lack of a heat shield on the craft". When questioned why there was no heat shield on the spacecraft, the administrator shrugged and said that "the engineers probably forgot". No internal investigations are currently planned by the KSP. Jebediah is suspected to have landed in the Eastern Sea, if anyone knows where Jebediah is, they are urged to contact Kerbal Daily.-Leeroy C. Kerman

I made an SSTO ... and was shocked that it worked as I've never tried to make one before.

Ok, so it's not much, has a horrible orbit, and is almost out of fuel. :D Still not too upset since it was my first try and I really didn't expect much.

B86hzdB.jpg

Evidently I need to work on my descent angle.

daZwgtW.jpg

2.9 seconds of fuel and the nose refuses to rise what could possibly go wrong?

6UHTRnD.jpg

Seconds before crashing Jeb went full throttle and was able to raise the front end.

P6zyzHd.jpg

Made a minimalist stunt plane

screenshot83.png

screenshot86.png

I've been able to touch the landing gear to the sides of buildings and "vertical land" due to how the control box lets it turn on a dime.

Edited by Znath

Today, I...

...Designed a new heavy long-range SSTO satellite carrier...

VYYVvUo.png

...Deployed satellites...

oDJyXO8.png

...Deployed rather a lot of satellites...

QykcusF.png

...Parked illegally...

OXcuWUp.jpg

...And decided that ladders were too partcount-heavy and cumbersome to get in and out of a 30-meter-tall ship, and overengineered a solution.

HpnqWld.png

I call it a good day! :D

I built a small ship and stranded a poor Kerbal in LKO.

I also tested a small launcher, sending rather small probes to imterplanetary space.

I wish I was more patient, so I would be willing to do all of the rescue missions I have...

I was going to post more construction pix, but I spent nearly all of Sunday maddeningly trying to get THIS monstrosity to Minmus:

U37snnv.png

Trying to put the rocket UNDER it just refused to work. I tried every possible permutation of ridiculously long and finny, until I had so many fins upon fins they were tearing themselves right off, and STILL every single launch attempt ended up like THIS:

3Q56zHo.png

So I finally say, "Oh yeah, Aerodynamics?? Well I'll just put the rocket ABOVE! the payload!"

Isoe7GT.png

Taking the most Kerbal approach finally worked. I stacked a small(ish) fuel tank and BIG engine under the lander, then built the main fuel tanks above it with some pretty ridiculous plumbing, and a couple of big LRB's, and finally, it went straight!

Isoe7GT.png

Well mostly. Right general direction at least. Up-ish. Then spent another hour trying to get the !@#&$^%!!! seperatrons to fire! But no matter what I did they adamantly refused to stage, stock or modded, and the boosters kept hitting the engine, and extreme cussing hilarity ensued. Finally I had to resort to using an action group.

ETavNew.png

Climb out going well...

jkWdmYP.png

Main fuel tank depletion and jettison. This part actually worked surprisingly well with enough SpaceY seperatrons, and one tiny offset one to nudge it out of the way of the rocket behind.

Beroryh.png

Followed three seconds later by plumbing tank jettison...

jSzIucj.png

Orbit, at last!

iKsuKmp.png

But now the bloody Mün was in the way. Had to tweak the maneuver node to change a collision to a grabbity assist...

eKetcCW.png

I was about done by this point. Bugger the parking orbit, I'm diving straight at the base!

VZpLab1.png

Transfer stage is left to crash into Minmus.

gVFKsDK.png

And finally, on the surface! I'm reminded how utterly useless rovers are in the weak Minmusian grabbity, but this thing's (eventually) going to Duna. I see I missed a strut connection and some other weak points that will have to be fixed with KIS-ed Quantum Struts, but I brought extra. And I just remembered the lone base caretaker is a Scientist, not an Engineer, so she can't fix anything. And is probably bat-poop crazy after years alone on Minmus.

U37snnv.png

Today I decided to update my KSP screenshots on Steam (I never play KSP on Steam), and figured an Apollo 11 recreation was in order. Here are a few shots from that mission, which was completely successful. My 100% stock Saturn 5 replica flew like a charm, didn't explode at Stage 1 Sep, and was more than enough to bring Bill, Jeb, and even Bob safely back to Kerbin.

20150622_00008_apollo11.jpg

20150622_00035_apollo11.jpg

20150622_00054_apollo11.jpg

There are more screenshots over on my Steam profile if you're bored and want to dig around. Unfortunately they're the straight-form-the-horse's-yeah unedited versions... no cropping, no slight color tweaks, etc, and I can't figure out how to put into an album, or if such a thing is even possible in Steam... what a mess. Link for the curious: http://steamcommunity.com/id/cydonian_monk/screenshots/

Cheers. ;)