What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

In sandbox 1.0.5:

Sent Jeb up with 300 days of life support to make maps of Kerbin. Landed closer to KSC than I ever have. Flew Jeb north of KSC at 1,170 m/s and 22km ASL to look for an anomaly. Did not see it. Flew Jeb to anomaly near North Pole. He died of g-force damage, and since I have no comms coverage, the probe core hidden in the cargo bay was useless. 

Well I tried an Apollo-style Mun landing with 2 minor deviations. Firstly I had to pick up someone stranded in orbit (contract), and secondly I had to refuel from a tank with a docking port that I left in orbit from a previous mission as a "just in case".  First attempt I tried to grab the stranded Kosmonaut and upon exiting the hatch, the command module spun wildly, she exploded in a puff of smoke and the module went careening towards mun.  Nice :huh:.  Loaded a quicksave.  Went for the fuel first this time.  This required me to detach from the LM to fuel up, then reattach.  Got comfortably close with minimal movement between ships and tried to undock the LM.  Nope.  Docking ports glitched and wouldn't release.  Reloaded the quicksave a few more times and tried a handful of things... no dice.  Looked up the issue and seems it was possibly cause by my having it attached to a separator during staging.  Scrapped the entire thing and tried to build a new rocket that wouldn't need more fuel in orbit and would fully land and return without any docking.  3 launch attempts and 3 exploding rockets later, I'm calling it a night.  Will do another revamp tomorrow. :P

I landed one of my trademark crazy-unbalanced looking landers on Mun today.

unbalanced-lander.png

It looks crazy, but is actually fairly well-balanced.  Not having to double everything has saved literal tons of weight.  The side pods are no longer needed either, all fuel and data taken, and will be ejected before departure.  Too bad I have to eject the autopilot.

3 hours ago, Corona688 said:

I landed one of my trademark crazy-unbalanced looking landers on Mun today.

unbalanced-lander.png

It looks crazy, but is actually fairly well-balanced.  Not having to double everything has saved literal tons of weight.  The side pods are no longer needed either, all fuel and data taken, and will be ejected before departure.  Too bad I have to eject the autopilot.

That may be the simplest, most kerbal thing I've ever seen.

12 hours ago, Kertech said:

Finally Icarus 1 proved I don't understand remote tech very well, since it lost communicationshortly after leaving the system, but the booster loked great anyway!!

KSC cannot connect to objects outside of Kerbin's SOI without relay satellites. 

OT: Yesterday, I mapped out a sort of torus that shows the area of complete comms coverage of Kerbin!

Edited by DaMachinator

1 hour ago, MDZhB said:

Holy cow, what visual mods are you using?

6 hours ago, Grenartia said:

That may be the simplest, most kerbal thing I've ever seen.

That is what I aspire to :D

The Pioneer and Voyager missions inspired me somewhat, you can make something asymmetric yet still balanced.

Edited by Corona688

44 minutes ago, MDZhB said:

4uRfSnB.png

Finally built a working, though a little scant on fuel, SSTO.

If you can get those engines pointed perfectly parallel that will save some fuel.  Right now they're wasting some fuel trying to tear your wings off your plane.

real-station.png

My space station received an impromptu upgrade of solar power and battery packs as I'd vastly underestimated how much the science lab needs.  Now he can get to work.

I went to Saturn in RSS/SMURFF                    (edit - vid is over in mission reports )

1AwlYkv.png

And then put a lander on Titan

SN6Gppl.png

02zT1bV.png

BULbMRs.png

I'll see about editing the video at some point. 9 year mission to get the lander down (edit - see link up top).

Edited by Gojira1000
linked

11 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Mostly today I have been mucking about in 1.1.3 .

screenshot44.png

screenshot43_1.png

screenshot48.png

screenshot57_1.png

screenshot47_1.png

The amazingness of Tweakscale. Also, Station Expansion is compatible with 1.1.3?

4 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

did some tests with a new shuttle... :3
eys5NEd.jpg

I imagine you'd never have to worry about losing parts on impact with that paneling.

Spent about 8 hours on and off throughout the day tweaking my any-rocket kOS launch script. I'm probably going to make a thread about it because I've put a LOT of work into making it nearly 100% adaptable, and I've come up with what I think are some pretty neat solutions.

On orbit construction of the "Tourist" is flowing along nicely. There was a small hiccup: the first kerbal lander design would not fit into the centerline hangar bay! The new one has been installed, the SCANSat design has been tested in orbit of Minmus, and one satellite has been installed in the starboard tray. Remaining tasks: load satellite into port tray, test/certify the drone lander drilling craft, install it on the aft stow, onload the rest of the crew, then fuel 'er up! Full up trials will be done around the Mun I think. Assuming this engine design works... fingers crossed lol.

Did the second launch of my new Shuttle, Novelty, after having completed a successful test flight round Kerbin. For this first 'proper' launch though the shuttle required a custom cargo bay expansion to accommodate two light but bulky drones. I call the expansion 'Beluga'.

LIFTOFF of STS008. Destination: Serran orbit this time

Separation of the bay cover was somewhat jerky because of clipping, but it came off nonetheless. I'll really prefer something less clippy next time though, but it's hard to fashion since few parts have a concave face.