Caterpillar Tracks- NOW OPEN SOURCE, ALL FILES OPEN TO PUBLIC

We are greatly hoping for it to be moved back soon for also a good reason :D

This all depends on when the plugin is ready :sticktongue: Then I can re-release the older sets with that. Then afterwards will come the new sets.

In the meantime I'm playing with dDo and nDo, they're fantastic to use, and should hopefully help me make much prettier tracks still.

So now I have some good news, and some good(er) news.

Good news: 6.forty has made some great progress on the new plugin. Most of the features are there, but not all (The most notable being the suspension).

Good(er) news: I am now looking for some testers. There are however some minor preferences for testing, so read those before you apply.

--You must understand that you cannot become a tester simply for the sake of getting the new plugin early (thats right, only the plugin is new. You'll be testing with the older tracks).

--Understand that these are not complete, they are completely unbalanced and do not have some of the functions yet.

--If you can prove yourself to be a reputable tester, please do so (This would include any references/links etc).

--You should know how to edit cfg's.

--Your mission is to break these things. Fly them, crash them, make huge monsters with them, throw them at Jool, feed them to the space kraken.

--report any (undocumented) bugs you find, to me. I'll then pass them to 6.forty if theyre plugin related, and to myself if theyre visual.

You'll get a thanks in the release thread (and maybe a virtual cookie).

If you wanna be a tester, message me here on the forums. Keep in mind though that testing positions are very limited (keeping it a low number).

I would like to apply, I usually find some rather interesting concepts and know how to push the envelope. I'm an avid config editor and Frankly I want to see how well I can crash... erm Test them.

And yes. I space very much

Heres a new small update (unrelated to the testers). The old tracks are not being abandoned when the new tracks come around, the old tracks will actually become the new tracks (along with some actual new things). Here is a nice little hi-poly re-model of the tiny tracks. All the older sets will go through the same treatment as this set.

28ac8b26760d71ede25f1544b9b6efa6.png

2d550f096c1607cc408a9bbdb0f29e86.png

3a66c42fb297670ce5b2ae8e110f4566.png

so has anybody tried using them as landing gear yet? and do they just not break like the old ones?

No max speed, the only way they break is if they break off like any other part. If that happens, you're gonna have a bad time.

ABvdn2zl.png

I'm looking forward to these!

May I suggest a set of micro tracks....tiny ones that would not look out of place stuck on the side of the smallest probe core as an alternative to the smallest stock wheels?

Now excuse me while I drool at those new models! and thanks for all your effort.

I have so many plans for these. I would certainly like to test them.

As far as my plans go:

-Rocket-powered tracked planes sound like a fun stress test

-Submarine crawlers are bound to find some obscure bugs (Old ones worked very well at this!)

-I need to set up my Extraplanetary Launchpads base. And a mobile launch pad would do just the thing...

-I have a boatload of mods (30+!) so if there's some issues between mods - Well, I'll probably find it.

And for my config editing - I did the initial modulemanager fix for HotRockets. I've also made ballast tanks (That filled and emptied!) for experimental submarine stuff, and I'm fairly sure I know what at least 90% of the config files do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.