Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

Wat. Not sure why that would be but the mystery has been solved. Well, addressed at least :P. I'll be trying again next update with the rewritten wheel code.

just don't give up :)

found a way to 'animate' your door under gravity without switching :) (not with rover wheels nor landing legs ;))

Tj4dLHJl.gif

(click the image to see the animated .gif)

well, it's unrefined at the moment, but i think it can be adapted to suit your needs :) (and you should be able to use other animated parts for that, like A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (only if you use your brake key or the brake toggle button, as we can't change it's action groups :P) or with service bays :)

http://www./download/kwi67cohhtiiw9m/Door+hinge+test.craft

found a way to 'animate' your door under gravity without switching :) (not with rover wheels nor landing legs ;))

http://i.imgur.com/Tj4dLHJl.gif

well, it's unrefined at the moment, but i think it can be adapted to suit your needs :) (and you should be able to use other animated parts for that, like A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S (only if you use your brake key or the brake toggle button, as we can't change it's action groups :P) or with service bays :)

Nice! I was able to do a similar thing with air brakes. If you all want to help out with my cinematic you can hop on to the google doc. Feel free to comment and write as you like. This hinge will be used on the back of a big pressurized boat.

Clever way round the wheel issue dude. Nice.

What I'm trying to do is be able to open and close the door without needing to swap vessels though. Reaction wheels work fine but you have to swap vessels to use them. I'm wanting to be able to control lights and other things as well as being able to open/close the doors at the same time.

You could use Burn Together, put a part on the door and the ship, and be able to control stuff on the ship from the door.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard that setting the brakes AG to undeploy will fix it. Unconfirmed.

I believe this is the place to ask this question! :) If not, please direct me to the correct thread. I've seen all over the KSP forums people talking about Turbo-RAPIERs, or Turbo-Nukes...had no idea what they were. Now I get what they are--the question now is--why? Does it provide any benefit other than cool effects? Is it the power of both engines in a smaller form factor? If that's it, I've WAY over-thought this and I apologize for being a numpty. :-/

I believe this is the place to ask this question! :) If not, please direct me to the correct thread. I've seen all over the KSP forums people talking about Turbo-RAPIERs, or Turbo-Nukes...had no idea what they were. Now I get what they are--the question now is--why? Does it provide any benefit other than cool effects? Is it the power of both engines in a smaller form factor? If that's it, I've WAY over-thought this and I apologize for being a numpty. :-/

Simple really, partly aesthetics, but it also makes it much easier to align thrust with centre of mass for when you're in the vacuum. That way you can have both. At least that's why I do that sort of thing. If you don't use the Alt+F12 menu, you still pay the drag penalty, but you get a (subjectively) prettier look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Could you please say from what version it is?

The Vernors have been around since 0.24 and the Place Anywhere ones since 0.15.0 (a LONG time a go...)

If you mean the plane. Most likely 1.0.4 or 1.0.3 (the two most recent updates)

Hope this helps

YargJay9991

So it turns out that using the Circular Intake + either the Engine Nacelle or Engine Pre-cooler you can clip them in such a way that the only the inside textures fight and it ends up giving you the appearance of a working fan intake. In the example below I've also clipped in a ram-air intake to show how this can be combined for very stylish fighter jet intakes. I highly recommend downloading the craft file and checking this out in game - it looks really great!

Craft file: Tech Demonstrator

2xmgroPh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ok chaps and chapettes,

I have had a few people asking for instructions on how to make my thermometer hinge. If looking at my four craft that use the hinge is not revealing this will show you how it works.

It looks so simple once you know how! This will however save you a week of headscratching. And given that it is the smallest possible hinge in the game it is a nice trick to learn if you want to make imaginative and exciting craft.

In order to make this hinge you will need to use the No offset mod.

there are many ways you can start this hinge and it will depend on what you are making the hinge for. In this example I am showing the swing I made recently which was built from the floor up. As another example my Hab door hinge was attached to a small docking port at the rear of the Hab and then offset to the front. In the case of the swing I used a stack separator so I just offset it the side. you will see this in the pictures below.

So after attaching the stack separator to the floor I then attach the first moving part which in this case is a small probe core. As there will be two separate craft after staging both need a probe core or they wont be there when you reload. I forgot to do this for my swing.

Then I add a seat to the probe core. Then I attach two inward facing LV-1R "Spider" engines that will act as the part the hinge will rotate around. Now to make the hinge itself.

I use SPH symmetry mode and attach two thermometers to the probe core, they can be attached to any part that will move. I then offset them towards the spider engines to make the top of the hinge. I then repeat this until I have created a square around the engines bell nozzle. Then I create another square but turned so it looks like a star shape, see here:

1zmf3hu.jpg

The spacing around the engine is very important. try to make it look like this picture! Also make sure the spacing between the engine body and the thermometers is like this:

esuwow.jpg

Now you need to stop it from slipping off from side to side, you need to add two more thermometers to each side in this position:

34edqiv.jpg

Try to have the same amount of the engine nozzle poking out, that can make a big difference. So as you can see in the next picture the probe core, seat and thermometers will be a separate craft once we stage the stack separator. they are highlighted green.

2v8ipv9.jpg

And that's it! Now stage the separator and you have a free moving hinge. Even with this tutorial it is possible that it still may be hard to make. I have had so much practice now that it's hard to judge how other will find it.

I can think of a million uses for these and will use them whenever possible. I hope this was helpful. If anyone has any questions I am always happy to help.

MJ

These can also operate as a 'rocker' hinge if you are using it for minimal movement and want to save on parts. This can ba achived with three thermometers placed one horizontally at the top and two at 45 degrees either side of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.