[1.2-1.7] Blender (2.83+) .mu import/export addon

if you used the zip (.tar.gz?) from github, it will have dots in the directory name. Python does not like that and thus blender cannot import the module (so you may need to rename the directory to not have dots in the name). Also, you need to enable the addon in user preferences.

ctrl-alt-u will bring it up. You then go to the addons tab, find the the addon in there, and tick its box. To avoid doing that every time, you may want to save the user preferences after that.

For more details, #blender on irc.freenode.net or the blender forums will be a big help, especially if you are new to blender.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I'm really out of ideas, so this is my halpme cry, I've tried exporting models to KSP using Unity 5.4 + Part Tools (because I wanted animated parts), but it just doesn't seems to work (in a nutshell the export .mu option it's just not there), so after getting no response on that addon post gave up on animated stuffs and give a try to this addon. It's incredible useful and easily merge on blender like a charm, but I'm having issues when it comes to texturing, I get the thing about the switched axis, but why my textures always look weird, like glowing mad or basically without filters and sometimes rotating anything on the UV mode also translate to a rotation of the texture on the final exported model?

Also certain models on KSP become incomplete, missing sides, this happen to me when joining a cage to a big bag I've made to put inside, it was missing a lot of faces there, and that's highly probably me being ignorant about some mechanic on how KSP "read" those models, but I'll would be thankful if someone could explain to me how many polygons should have a model that's not just a cylinder.

Cheers!

Edited by Kerbos

I believe the triangle (vertex?) limit is about 64k (Unity limit), but I doubt you're hitting that.

Sadly, my plugin's material handling is very tricky to use currently, but if you get it working, it should be WYS(in blender)IWYG(in KSP). Certainly, the UVs shouldn't cause problems: my plugin does all the axis swapping for you. Same goes for meshes and animations.

Missing faces is likely to be one of two things: either the faces are inside out, or no material is attached.

9 hours ago, taniwha said:

I believe the triangle (vertex?) limit is about 64k (Unity limit), but I doubt you're hitting that.

Sadly, my plugin's material handling is very tricky to use currently, but if you get it working, it should be WYS(in blender)IWYG(in KSP). Certainly, the UVs shouldn't cause problems: my plugin does all the axis swapping for you. Same goes for meshes and animations.

Missing faces is likely to be one of two things: either the faces are inside out, or no material is attached.

This small paragraph actually solved all my problems (not near 64k so that was discarded:P ), the rotation on my UVs was me trying way too hard to fit everything on the right axis Y Z in blender, hence the plugin was just responding to my manual rotations when exporting resulting on that mess.

And also you were right about no materials on the faces, well 99% right, it was more no texture on the material, when doing complex shapes with scratches, cracks and stuffs on it, like a rock inside a towel, I also use bumpmaps, but since I'm not a blender pro missed how to properly link a material to the texture and the bumpmap, so ended up using the same material for both (and now that I read it I feel even more autistic than doing it).

Still need to figure out how to mark seams properly, but that's on me, thx for everything, love the plugin, also you're telling me that I can export animated things the same way? That would be awesome.

Cya later.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a new version of this that I am not aware of? I accidentally deleted a few files thinking I did not need them anymore and then went on to emptying my recycle bin (yes I am a freakin' genius). I do however have these models as .mu files, but for some reason Blender won't let me import .mu files that has been exported using U5.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the error that pops up when trying to import any of my .mu files. "Unrecognized format: 76543 4"

Edited by liquidhype

17 hours ago, liquidhype said:

EDIT: Forgot to mention the error that pops up when trying to import any of my .mu files. "Unrecognized format: 76543 4"

Oh, wow, yes, you are rather out of date. Version 4 has been supported for some time now.

2 hours ago, taniwha said:

Oh, wow, yes, you are rather out of date. Version 4 has been supported for some time now.

Wow indeed. The version I am using has worked up until this point, and Github did not specify v.4 so I figured I was all up to date. I assume the master download on Git is the new version then?

Thank you :)

• 1 month later...

@taniwha Hi sir

I'm really new to blender but i'm an old user of MAYA, I know for the fact that you don't have time nor the knowledge to convert your import/export for maya but, that is ok, I was going to use blender to load some parts and export them to fbx, naturally tried something from ksp (copula) well, the mesh loads ok, but when you look at shaded mode, the textures are not being applied, am i missing something here?

5a11edf0a51e4054b6f5633cb9b2ced7.png

Edited by Jiraiyah

On 14.10.2016 at 5:59 PM, Jiraiyah said:

@taniwha Hi sir

I'm really new to blender but i'm an old user of MAYA, I know for the fact that you don't have time nor the knowledge to convert your import/export for maya but, that is ok, I was going to use blender to load some parts and export them to fbx, naturally tried something from ksp (copula) well, the mesh loads ok, but when you look at shaded mode, the textures are not being applied, am i missing something here?

5a11edf0a51e4054b6f5633cb9b2ced7.png

You missed going to "UV Editing" window and importing corresponding texture. Since KSP shaders can use more then one - there is no texture automation in import plugin - you have to chose appropriate file manually.

BTW, texures in .dds will need vertical flipping to display correctly in Blender, but you'll need to flip em back before exporting to Unity.

1 minute ago, Dr. Jet said:

You missed going to "UV Editing" window and importing corresponding texture. Since KSP shaders can use more then one - there is no texture automation in import plugin - you have to chose appropriate file manually.

BTW, texures in .dds will need vertical flipping to display correctly in Blender, but you'll need to flip em back before exporting to Unity.

oh that is why i saw my textures flipped compared to uv in maya then, damn, do i need to reset my uv correctly? (I have my textures as png right now and uv are sit properly) what is the process of exporting from maya to unity to the game then? (assuming that this png i have is the texture i want with the uv set i have right now) this is my uv editor in maya : http://prntscr.com/cwswu9

14 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

oh that is why i saw my textures flipped compared to uv in maya then, damn, do i need to reset my uv correctly? (I have my textures as png right now and uv are sit properly) what is the process of exporting from maya to unity to the game then? (assuming that this png i have is the texture i want with the uv set i have right now) this is my uv editor in maya : http://prntscr.com/cwswu9

Never worked with Maya, but it looks more like a Blender+plugin glitch incorrectly translating .dds UVmaps.

With PNG textures along .mu what you see is what you get. If you use Blender just to convert formats - don't touch the UVmap at all - it's OK for PNG, JPG or any other non-dds.

But remember that stock .dds files converted to any other format will be vertically flipped themselves (it's normal for how dds format works), so they won't fit as is.

On 03/08/2013 at 7:35 PM, taniwha said:

" enable it like any other addon"

I may look like an idiot, but I just started using Blender, and I would know what is the name of the addon in User Preferences / Addons

AROFVVg.png

Thanks. (And it's a superb add-on)

Edited by Wolfair corp.

17 hours ago, Wolfair corp. said:

I may look like an idiot, but I just started using Blender, and I would know what is the name of the addon in User Preferences / Addons

If you type KSP into the search box in the upper left corner, it should show up nicely.

Ok, thanks. Do rename folder is enough? I don't understand "Rename directory"

I've unzipped the folder in Downloads, renamed it and moved it in Addons.

So  "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_ksp_mu-master"

Thank for your help.

Edited by Wolfair corp.

14 minutes ago, Wolfair corp. said:

Ok, thanks. Do rename folder is enough? I don't understand "Rename directory"

I've unzipped the folder in Downloads, renamed it and moved it in Addons.

So  "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_ksp_mu-master"

Thank for your help.

Folder is another name for directory