Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Just a thought for you guys - why not include a factory that makes (or appears to make) rocket parts?

I mean, a big, VAB-ish building with the doors open and a half-assembled fuel tank inside. Or something.

Was allready working on something like that! :D Later for the Industrial area! :D

IDR7SpD.png

What about that skyscraper I made? I could remodel it in Blender, downsize it a little, and we could put it on the plot?

It would look really nice on the waterfront, and it could have the Kerbin City logo on it. Or maybe Zokesia, if he really wants.

Could you have the old Kjolsen Aerospace Logo on it? Pleasepleasepleaseplease!

I have soo much fun doing those models! :D It's like back in the Lego Days where I spend hours,

sitting in my room with my best friend and Building whole citys :) #oldtimes

I'm going to texture it when the next Phase starts, but so far i'm pretty happy how it turned out.

BUT I'm not going to make interiors for this one, I want to save some performance :wink:

What do you guys think?

B4oNMWa.png

Edited by Mettwurst

Hi! I'm new here, but I follow this thread from the beginning. I'm a bulding technician(in the future may architect :D), so I think I can be useful here;) When it comes to modeling I am a intermediate(I made a few models, but i still have problem with textures), so I need some help. Here you have some pictures of what I have created (this is not a finished building - I'll add some details, improve textures and surroundings of the building):

dtpw.png

cys.png

So, if I can help, I will create a couple of buildings, and maybe even something bigger;)

What do you think? Can I do some buildings for Kerbin City?

Sorry for spelling mistakes, I'm not very good in English:/

Hi! I'm new here, but I follow this thread from the beginning. I'm a bulding technician(in the future may architect :D), so I think I can be useful here;) When it comes to modeling I am a intermediate(I made a few models, but i still have problem with textures), so I need some help. Here you have some pictures of what I have created (this is not a finished building - I'll add some details, improve textures and surroundings of the building):

dtpw.png

cys.png

Welcome to the Forum!

That House looks great! You are definitly Qualified for the Noble-Area! :)

So, if I can help, I will create a couple of buildings, and maybe even something bigger;)

What do you think? Can I do some buildings for Kerbin City?

When the next phase © starts we will need a whole lot of buildings for the Downtown, Campus, Industrial and Residential Area.

So far we don't have any specific Plans and Rules, so I think you just focus on what you have the most fun modeling!

From what I see, I'm looking forward for your future participation! :)

Just do what you enjoy most, it's all about the fun and keeping the motivation up! :)

Thanks Mettwurst!

This is in my hometown, thought it looked cool, and might fit into KC:

UW_Stratford_Night.jpg

Are you going to make it? It's cool!

How about we put a Villa or even a Palace into the Noble Area? Maybe a parody of Buckingham Palace or Slot Rosenborg?

I can do a villa for Jeb!

I have two questions:

Can I do the interior for several buildings (like the one on the picture)? And can I use translucent textures?

OK, I've planned out what my residential area will be like. 15-20 small houses with gardens and small roads between them, 2-4 large 6-floor mansions off to the side, and 10 New-York Queens style 20-floor buildings on the side closer to the city. Any comments or suggestions?

Edited by POTKC

Hey, I have been following this for a while, but I just saw the possible map for phase B and I was startled. I am currently studying Earth Sciences and I have a particulate interest in Land Reclamation (I live in the Netherlands so let the stereotypes flow xD) and the way it was designed didnt make too much sense. Like why would you put the sea have all the way in the back? I couldn't help myself so I made a possible layout for how it would look if I had designed it from the beginning (including what is already done.)

Index Table:

Orange:

1: Seaport

2: Industrial Area

3: Industrial Area plus electricity production facility. I think it should be nuclear, but I dont know, I'm just a big fan of nuclear energy (when not done by idiots of course, but that counts for everything else as well)

4: Sea Rig (I saw an Idea for this and it looked appealing)

Light Blue

1: Airport (extension)

2: Train Depot

Yellow

1: Government Center

2: KU - Kerbal University

Blue

1: you guys are already familiar

2: Lower side (mostly recreational commercial buildings, so no high-rise)

3: Bijebo Island (mostly expensive and artistic high-rise buildings, something like lower Manhattan. And 10 points to whoever gets the name first)

4: Land reclamation, mostly for residential purposes on the western side while the eastern side is more commercial)

Green:

1: (Gated) expensive community. Villas, lots of homes.

2: Cheap housing. Something like town housing.

3: middle class housing. More variation permitted, but nothing extravagant. lot sizes probably about 30x30 to 50x40

Red

Levees and dikes, because what would a Kerbal City be if it didnt have impending death.

Grey

Freeway system.

The dotted line should be moved up a little more to come out of the upper island as I see now in hindsight. Also I think I would tweak the positioning of the freeway next to the airport and levee a bit.

layout2_zpscb4e5554.jpg

Note that the areas are separated by canals. Not only does this make it more fun to travel around town by whatever means you wish, it also serves a real world purpose. If you reclaim land, but dont have anywhere for the water in the ground to escape, it will bubble up and ruin any possibility of building there. A good example is the man-made province of Flevoland in the Netherlands. The upper part was built first before they realized that. To correct this problem when building the second (lower) part, they left an artificial lake between the mainland and the reclaimed land.

I also put the sea port up front because it would be cheaper to dredge then if it where out back. It also has a positive effect on land values.

I am working on designing the seaport, but I want to study a few of them before I publish a finale draft

Edited by Azivegu
grammer & spelling correction plus some extra info

3: Bijebo Island (mostly expensive and artistic high-rise buildings, something like lower Manhattan. And 10 points to whoever gets the name first)

Bill Jeb Bob! 10 points to me! :D

That looks really though through, nice job!

Just some recizing and we have a great plan, only problem I see is the Traindepot, the positioning of that is very critical since we want to avoid to many curves :)

The only thing I would exchange the Orange 2 and 3,

a nuclear plant (thats what I would want to, see the engines)

right next to an airport sounds a little .. inviting ;)

a nuclear plant (thats what I would want to, see the engines)

right next to an airport sounds a little .. inviting ;)

All Nuclear reactor Buildings are designed to withstand the full force of a fully laden 747 crashing into them and then there is a safety factor on top of that...

Mucking around at KSC, and I realised, we aught to put a narrow alleyway somewhere in the main island. For reasons.

wiiagdE.png

"This town ain't big enough for the two of us!"

Hey, I have been following this for a while, but I just saw the possible map for phase B and I was startled. I am currently studying Earth Sciences and I have a particulate interest in Land Reclamation (I live in the Netherlands so let the stereotypes flow xD) and the way it was designed didnt make too much sense.

layout2_zpscb4e5554.jpg

Some interesting ideas- I didn't think there would be any groundwater issues in a coastal location. You learn something every day, I guess.

I suspect the reason for putting the seaport so far back was to make sure it's sheltered, though I see what you mean by it would be cheaper. But it would be more interesting to sail all the way through the city to get to it. Perhaps a marina could go in the back instead.

Having the sea port further forward would make less trouble with bridges- otherwise, the lower road, and rail bridges may need some sort of opening mechanism to make sense, then again, that could be a feature.

One problem I spotted- the river outlet/tidal channel is blocked. That's a very low patch marked out in this diagram.

(More of an urban design perspective)

WyS1OZ3l.png

Another thing- locating a train depot there could work, maybe, Were you thinking stabling, or just freight?

But I wouldn't put the power generators near there, they'll be interrupting the view out to sea from the city.

I'd also stick with one larger central island, rather than two, as you can have a more interesting layout in that sort of area.

Maybe Nothke will make that one look as though it was always there, rather than recalled, with sloping edges.

But Bijebo island is a clever name.

I like the idea of the dyke, or seawall of some sort that you could walk along. That would be cool.

Edited by Tw1

Hey, I have been following this for a while, but I just saw the possible map for phase B and I was startled. I am currently studying Earth Sciences and I have a particulate interest in Land Reclamation (I live in the Netherlands so let the stereotypes flow xD) and the way it was designed didnt make too much sense.

Yes but Netherlands is a very flat low laying country where the sea is also pretty shallow. I don't look at the Kerbin City islands as "land reclamation" but more like peninsulas that already were there, even they don't really exist on the actual "terrain" but should.

Like why would you put the sea have all the way in the back?

You probably mean why is the "seaport" in the back? The reason is that you would need to take ships under the bridges and look around the city cause it's just cool =) but not realistic of course. Also the water is much calmer inside there =)

Levees and dikes, because what would a Kerbal City be if it didnt have impending death.

That's an interesting idea, but there is no global warming on Kerbin, and Kerbals are certainly ready for any kind of "impending death" xD

The biggest problem about the map I see here is that you didn't mind airport flight/landing paths and rivers (that I noted in a post few pages ago). Otherwise the city is just too big. We need 3 months to fill up one island and I don't plan to be on this project for a long time.

1: (Gated) expensive community. Villas, lots of homes.

I would rather wish that the Kerbals have social equality, so there are no really "classes", sure some Kerbals are more artistic and some more scientific, some are bosses some are workers, but I don't think they need aristocratic villas areas to show off. Even if some do, it certainly wouldn't be "gated". If a Kerbal has higher income, then he pays higher taxes =) I imagine them as having a very good social politics, therefore they can invest everything in science, technology and space exploration and they don't really care about personal wealth cause they only think about space and science =)

Otherwise, most of these ideas are already mention and thought of, but there are some nice ones. I'll keep this in mind.

Edited by nothke

Otherwise the city is just too big. We need 3 months to fill up one island and I don't plan to be on this project for a long time.

The thing is, not every building needs to be an individualized work of art.

For most of the space-filling scenery, it would suffice to model some generic, simplified structures chopped up into modular segments. These segments could then be copied, pasted, and re-arranged as needed to create non-repeating patterns.

With one "set" of building types per district, plus a smattering of individually modeled "centerpiece" structures to keep things from looking too homogeneous, you could easily fill out an entire city.

Just a thought.