[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

I thoroughly wish this mod to continue moving into 1.1, possibly with an evolution version. 

Even though DMmagic's mod has it's own charm, nothing beats bringing up heavy station parts for science (especially in an interstellar-like modded install). Now with 1.1 going 64 bit and being a lot more parts-friendly, I see the oppurtunity of making big science stations again without frying computers.

Would happily donate or contribute to such a thing, maybe even co-launch a spin-off (although I can't code for excrements, I can do a lil bit of modeling, as well as do systems concept design and balancing on a professional level).

Whats so great about this mod for me:

- Simple big parts at the core
- Need for supply and recovery runs
- Takes time to complete experiments (couples well with life support mods)

What I'd love to see evolved:
- Longer progression
- A few more alternative experiments with different resource needs
- Specific situation core parts (ground stations, extra-kerbinial research

Random ideas:
- Make specific research actions pre-quisites for some high tech parts to work if those mods are installed (like with interstellar extended, you might need to do a very heavy nuclear propulsion test or something). Basically make field research a pre-quisite to unlocking them or something.

3 hours ago, Samlow said:

I thoroughly wish this mod to continue moving into 1.1, possibly with an evolution version. 

Even though DMmagic's mod has it's own charm, nothing beats bringing up heavy station parts for science (especially in an interstellar-like modded install). Now with 1.1 going 64 bit and being a lot more parts-friendly, I see the oppurtunity of making big science stations again without frying computers.

Would happily donate or contribute to such a thing, maybe even co-launch a spin-off (although I can't code for excrements, I can do a lil bit of modeling, as well as do systems concept design and balancing on a professional level).

Whats so great about this mod for me:

- Simple big parts at the core
- Need for supply and recovery runs
- Takes time to complete experiments (couples well with life support mods)

What I'd love to see evolved:
- Longer progression
- A few more alternative experiments with different resource needs
- Specific situation core parts (ground stations, extra-kerbinial research

Random ideas:
- Make specific research actions pre-quisites for some high tech parts to work if those mods are installed (like with interstellar extended, you might need to do a very heavy nuclear propulsion test or something). Basically make field research a pre-quisite to unlocking them or something.

I agree on all points, having some land based large experiment parts setup like the space based parts where you have to take supplies and recover experiments would be neat.  Would be neat to build a remote science base on duna that actually has a long term purpose and send ships back and forth.  

Edited by eberkain

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

I agree on all points, having some land based large experiment parts setup like the space based parts where you have to take supplies and recover experiments would be neat.  Would be neat to build a remote science base on duna that actually has a long term purpose and send ships back and forth.  

Well said, as I forgot to say the meaning for me behind space station science: Long term investment and use for big projects.

On 4/13/2016 at 6:55 AM, ethernet said:

I am working on updating this for 1.1. It should be ready by 1.1 release.

Thanks for keeping us up to date ethernet :lol:!  I love this mod so much that built my entire install around it haha.  My science returns are so limited in my set up that I can completely strip a planet of science from stock experiments and only get a few hundred points.  And with the community tech tree's expanded (and expensive) nodes, the only way to progress is to get those super heavy Station Science modules out of Kerbin's SOI and around/onto other planets.  It has created some really fun problems to solve :D.

Keep up the good work!!!!

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 9:55 AM, ethernet said:

I am working on updating this for 1.1. It should be ready by 1.1 release.

This is one of my must-have mods, right alongside FAR, DRE, TACLS, RT, and a few others.  Of course, my preferred modset includes literally hundreds of others (which I was always able to run in v1.0.x in Linux-64) but this is a mod I wouldn't even cut from the list for Windows-32 play sessions.

With v1.1 and Win64 a viable option now, I quiver at the thought of the greatness my career saves can achieve!

My schooling is drawing to a close, and the last two semesters have been way beyond "hectic" anyway, but even casually tinkering in KSP just isn't something I look forward to without this mod at the ready.

@Ethernet, please know that I am one very loyal fan of your wonderful work, and I intend to wait patiently while you re-release your mod for v1.1.  If there is anything I can do to help, even if it's something silly like managing the CKAN metadata tracking, please don't hesitate to message me, as I'd be humbled to have an opportunity to contribute.

Edited by MisterFister
"modset" autocorrects to "modest." Nothing about me is ever "modest."

41 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

This is one of my must-have mods, right alongside FAR, DRE, TACLS, RT, and a few others.  Of course, my preferred modset includes literally hundreds of others (which I was always able to run in v1.0.x in Linux-64) but this is a mod I wouldn't even cut from the list for Windows-32 play sessions.

With v1.1 and Win64 a viable option now, I quiver at the thought of the greatness my career saves can achieve!

My schooling is drawing to a close, and the last two semesters have been way beyond "hectic" anyway, but even casually tinkering in KSP just isn't something I look forward to without this mod at the ready.

@Ethernet, please know that I am one very loyal fan of your wonderful work, and I intend to wait patiently while you re-release your mod for v1.1.  If there is anything I can do to help, even if it's something silly like managing the CKAN metadata tracking, please don't hesitate to message me, as I'd be humbled to have an opportunity to contribute.

I agree 100%.  I will not play a 1.1 save until this mod is updated.

@ethernet How's the update going? I -and certainly others as well- am really waiting for the update since it gave space station a more meaningful use.

At least an update about your progress would be nice

Edited by ZaeRoe

Version 1.6, with support for KSP 1.1, is now available.

This release has no new features or modelling, but I will be pursuing integration of SpeedyB's new models for a new release. This will likely be a v2 release that breaks backwards compatibility.

edit: Looks like the models won't significantly break compatibility, actually, so don't let that put you off using this mod now.

Edited by ethernet

4 minutes ago, ethernet said:

Version 1.6, with support for KSP 1.1, is now available.

This release has no new features or modelling, but I will be pursuing integration of SpeedyB's new models for a new release. This will likely be a v2 release that breaks backwards compatibility.

YAY! Good to hear that! Now it is time to try this new (for me) awesome mod! 1.0.5 prevented all of us from installing many mods.

Thanks dude!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.