[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Oh and one more thing. Can I simply use the deltaV map of the real thing? I am not sure, figures seem to match reality of course, but I would like a confirmation.

So far, it seems to be all right though. I got on an orbit with the right inclination, and Trans Lunar Injection was something like 3400 m/s, which is more or less correct.

For engines, there's a mod called KIDS, from Ferram, that change the engines value from stock to RSS. It's not ufficially updated, but you find a working patch in the last page of the thread. In this way you don't need to build insanely huge rockets just for a Moon (not Mun :-)) landing.

Oh and one more thing. Can I simply use the deltaV map of the real thing? I am not sure, figures seem to match reality of course, but I would like a confirmation.

So far, it seems to be all right though. I got on an orbit with the right inclination, and Trans Lunar Injection was something like 3400 m/s, which is more or less correct.

Yep. The common ones are this one, and the expanded one.

Why is Saturn on its side? Is that normal?

There is no up, down or sides in space. The picture was taken from the equator of Titan, so the horizon is tilted 90 degrees relative to Saturn's ring. If he had landed at the poles Saturn would've been upright.

Same thing happens in real life. If you ever make a trip to the opposite hemisphere go take a look at the moon, it will be on its side relative to its familiar shape.

No Ceres? :( Are we just waiting on nice heightmaps from our friends at NASA?

Also, not sure if you want to make a note in the OP or whether it goes with RO, but KSCSwitcher has been moved out of RSS, link in my sig if you're missing the functionality.

No Ceres? :( Are we just waiting on nice heightmaps from our friends at NASA?

Also, not sure if you want to make a note in the OP or whether it goes with RO, but KSCSwitcher has been moved out of RSS, link in my sig if you're missing the functionality.

We don't have even color maps, only black&white.

We don't have even color maps, only black&white.
Didn't stop the mod from having Pluto...

E: Should note I'm not being impatient or anything and I fully understand if Ceres isn't included or if I need to actually Do It Myself, just wondering if we're waiting or if it was intentionally excluded.

hewi212: I didn't say anything about textures. I asked you to post your log, so we can help you. :)

Nansuchao: I'm not aware of any weird heating issues. Can you try with just RSS (and Kopernicus and the textures and MM) installed, and see if you still get it? You've got errors in the log from FNPlugin, YongeTech, CrewQueue, and something trying and failing to create buttons

While I don't have the time to _make_ a stock-sized RSS, I have no problem with one existing. Anyone making one should feel free to crib from RSS's config and depend on RSS-Textures. I removed the old "alternate configs" links because they don't work on RSS-via-Kopernicus, not because I frown on them or something. :)

Taleric: yep, biomes are in. :)

Dr. Walther, as jrandom says, yep, you can use the real thing. I also find Wiki's page on delta-v budgets quite helpful because it takes plane into account. Probably the prettiest one is this one, calculated by our own metaphor.

regex: you give me textures, we'll get it in. :) Though if you want to add it yourself, even less work for me! :D

As for KSCSwitcher: blargh, totally forgot. I'll add it to the OP. Although the icons still don't show :(

Alexoff: I'll check, thanks.

I'm having some trouble. Installed the new RSS on Windows with a 100% fresh KSP install and no other mods. When I reach the KSP start screen, Kerbin is a white globe with no texture. Then, when I start a game, the KSP scene is simply the skybox. There is nothing to click and I can't look around, I'm just floating in space. Any ideas?

aWMsqqvl.jpg

jVUAQhtl.jpg

Edit: I can't read instructions, see below.

Edited by Jonboy

I try to make EVE clouds for RSS, but Earth make clowds invisible and visible in the same times, it looks like oscillations in the sky. From the space it's OK. And gas giants for the first time are OK too, but when I try to look on them from the long distance, I can see dozens dark patches, moving on the planets. By the way, Saturn looks strange, it's atmosphere is white.

Aw yus, now I only have to scavenge RO for whatever's there that works in 1.0.2. Thanks, Nathan!

I'm starting work on a PlanetShine config for this. If it's compatible. I see no reason it wouldn't be.

Edited by xrayfishx

Important tip: If your lander somehow behaves unbalanced (no idea why; everything looked good when I built it) causing it to want to rotate when under thrust and you've used a lander engine that doesn't (or only barely) gimbals, your RCS propellent will run out and then you can't aim the lander. And when you try to abort to orbit and also have an ascent engine that also doesn't gimble, then end of your landing mission is a bit of a foregone conclusion. :(

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I think this is my 5th or 6th attempt at an RSS/RO lunar landing and is the first to actually achieve lunar orbit. Also, my heat shield on the CM exploded at 70km during reentry so the mission was a total loss. I'm guessing a periapsis of 51km when falling from the moon was wrong? Too steep or too shallow?

I made a test in a fresh install, as suggested and I made an interesting discovery. My engine's explosions weren't dued to some weird bug or incompatibility, but from KIDS. Adjusting the stock engines values to the RSS ones, make every engine overheat so easily that you litterally cannot take off from the launchpad or the runway.

So, to avoid to have to build insanely huge rockets just to reach orbit (you know, parts count), what can you suggest?