[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

ok chaps , so ive not played for about a mth now as been waiting for updates etc , with the news that the tech tree etc is now up for tender due to real life issues from the fantasic creator i am wondering now what i shud have installed in order to be able to play , what i mean is i have everying ready to go apart from the tech tree and once that is installed then i wil install the overhaul, so do i install the overhaul ? if so then what do i play ? the secience or sandbox or carrer ? i am so confussed right now it must be KSP withdraw symtoms.

Overhaul itself works fine, and you can use it to play sandbox (other modes are not yet supported, as Red pointed out above).

Awesome Mod!!!

One question: Is it even possible to take off from Venus?

And how many Dv is required to take off from Moon?

Delta-v chart you are looking for: http://danielmarin.naukas.com/files/2014/06/wgoy3qt.png

As for Venus - it might be possible to take off from it if you install the Interstellar mod, but it definitely is not possible to land on it and then take off from it, as any ship large enough to take off will not survive reentry.

Delta-v chart you are looking for: http://danielmarin.naukas.com/files/2014/06/wgoy3qt.png

As for Venus - it might be possible to take off from it if you install the Interstellar mod, but it definitely is not possible to land on it and then take off from it, as any ship large enough to take off will not survive reentry.

You could also do it with kethane and extraplanetary launchpads. Just set up a base on the venusian surface and your launchers designed for earth should fly pretty good on venus.

I really, really doubt you can orbit Venus with the same launchers you used on Earth. Pretty sure 80 times higher atmospheric pressure has a big impact on delta-v. Planes are awesome though, even on Eve, you press a button and it moves, instantly.

I really, really doubt you can orbit Venus with the same launchers you used on Earth. Pretty sure 80 times higher atmospheric pressure has a big impact on delta-v. Planes are awesome though, even on Eve, you press a button and it moves, instantly.

Oh yes huge difference. But more so in the upper atmosphere. Maybe those new atmosphere curves last page will help on the last leg of the trip.

After some further investigation, I'm finding that the SOIs of all of the bodies seems to be stock values. That might be related to my problem. I've tried using the debug log but that doesn't seem to be showing any errors.

Is there also something like a good launch window planner and calculator available for this mod?

mecjeb and and protractor will work for RSS. Mostly. And maybe Kerbal Alarm Clock.

Update on my issue. Ive just checked, and all the surface textures for the other planets and moons work fine, Earth/kerbin is the only one affected.

Sounds like you need lower resolution earth textures for Kerbin. Look on the first post for texture pack info.

Edited by Starwaster

I guess it has been asked before but I couldn't find it:

Does anyone know which mods widmanstatten use for his Mars expedition which is shown on the OP?

I'm specifically looking for the landing legs (and better landing legs in general…)

Thank you!

lewis 101: please follow the directions I already posted for you.

griffin247: the Realism Overhaul OP has instructions. Follow them. As has been stated numerous times, just because there's no career support doesn't mean you can't play sandbox.

TheKutKu: thanks! This is the real solar system, so you can look up how much it requires in real life and it will be accurate (hint: 1800-2200 or so).

mecki: you can use NASA's real life tools. Also, Arrowstar made this for Orbiter: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=19682

brickmack: have you tried a clean install with just RSS on stock KSP? *especially* if you're using EVE right now.

soverign: this is why PMing and posting is a bad idea ;) I have no idea if you followed the suggestion I sent in my response PM. Your log showed RSS failed during editing Pol, which of course means all changes after that will not occur. Please try what I asked.

Terrain detail was already set to high.

Edit: I removed all other mods except Module Manager just to confirm it isn't a mod compatibility issue and found problem was still present.

Edited by soverign

When I use it, Mercury, Venus, Earth, The Moon, Mars, Phobos, Deimos, and Jupiter work right, but Ike orbits inside Duna, Minmus still orbits Kerbin, Laythe, Vall, and Tylo orbit inside Jool, Pol orbits Jool correctly but just looks like Pol, not Io, and Dres and Eeloo just have their default orbits. Is this correct, or did I do something wrong?

soverign: try switching to low, then switching back to high. The only thing I saw erroring out on your log was something regarding terrain presets, so that might do it. It might also be a messed up install of KSP itself.

Ianwubby77: logs please.

First off let me just say that I am a big fan of your work NathanKell. As I install the RO, RSS mod I can't help but notice that you authored the majority of the dependencies required to make it work and when the 0.24 ksp patch came out it only took a few days for you to iron out those dependencies and get RSS back up and running again. Need to get you some money soon. I am sure it's a labor of love but it's a lot of work I imagine. Really, really grateful for the time you put in helping the community and fixing people problems. :)

I fixed the problem in a way so I need no help. My solution is at the bottom if anyone is interested. Thought I would still throw up the post in case anyone else was having the same issue.

After looking through the last few pages of forum posts (as I usually do before posting myself) I noticed that someone (Peregrinuus) already has had this issue with bleed through of old cloud colors on several planets. Here is the imgur page he linked to refresh your memory. http://imgur.com/a/Q1kBt I know you said in the response to his post that it's an issue with EVE 7-3 which is not supported. Well let me just copy what you said.

NathanKell

"Peregrinuus: Those screenshots look EVE issues, not RSS issues. If you haven't changed EVE's settings (which are set up for the default Kerbol system, so Eve gets purple clouds, and Jool gets green ones) then...you'll still get those clouds. I thought you were talking about *surface* textures.

When I said EVE Overhaul works with RSS, I meant the clouds are at the appropriate height more or less, etc; not that the mod will somehow detect that RSS is installed and change what clouds it applies."

What I am wanting to know is if there is a way for me to modify the settings in the EVE config. files so that this effect goes away? The only reason I ask is that I used EVE 7-3 with the very first RSS, RO version posted after 0.24 and this effect wasn't present so I figured there might be a way to make it work.

I actually Figured out how to fix this more or less. Go to KSP\GameData\BoulderCo\Clouds and find the cloudLayers.cfg file then edit out all the configs for Jool, Laythe, and Eve which will unfortunately get rid of clouds on those bodies but it does look better in my opinion. You can also change the colors of the clouds to white, or other things but don't ask me how, by changing what the r, g, and b equals to. 1 makes it white just like Kerbin. Just thought I would throw this out there if anyone else has this problem and wants to fix it.

Edited by darshiki

darshiki: thanks so much for the kind words! :)

You can also check out pingopete's RSS Visual Enhancements, although it's not quite working right for the latest EVE Overhaul and .24.2 (or at least isn't for me). It will give you cloud textures and settings to use...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83215-KSP-0-23-5-WIP-RSS-Visual-Enhancements-DEV-RELEASE-0-2-1

I'm really sorry already :-)

I keep having crashes since I installed the Realism Overhaul. I'm really bad at interpreting the logs but from what i read I assumed that RSS was throwing some errors. Could anyone have a look at my logs to help me figure it out?

I have Active Texture Management (Aggressive) installed.

I don't want to hijack this thread and will move or delete my post if inappropriate.

logs

Another thing I just noted:

Maybe it is just the Taurus Capsule and the way it is being rescaled by RealismOverhaul but splashed down it sinks into the water. Only it's very top will stay out. I don't know if this is related to Real Solar System and it's water or one of the other mods.

Also: Is it still true that the heat multiplier for dre has to be tweaked to 10 for this mod to make sense?

Another thing I just noted:

Maybe it is just the Taurus Capsule and the way it is being rescaled by RealismOverhaul but splashed down it sinks into the water. Only it's very top will stay out. I don't know if this is related to Real Solar System and it's water or one of the other mods.

Also: Is it still true that the heat multiplier for dre has to be tweaked to 10 for this mod to make sense?

It depends on your personal tastes and on whether or not you run this mod with RSS. (if you do then you don't touch a thing)

Some people complain about burning up around here even on the default settings. (Clarification Edit: Default settings for stock Kerbin. Re-read what I typed and it looked confusing, sorry)

I'm sure for them it would make sense to turn things down.

So it really all depends on you.

Do you find Deadly Reentry too easy? Then turn up the difficulty as described on page one. (of Deadly Reentry)

Do you find Deadly Reentry too hard? Then turn the difficulty down by using lower numbers (for the settings described on page one) (of Deadly Reentry)

Edited by Starwaster

It depends on your personal tastes and on whether or not you run this mod with RSS. (if you do then you don't touch a thing)

Some people complain about burning up around here even on the default settings. (Clarification Edit: Default settings for stock Kerbin. Re-read what I typed and it looked confusing, sorry)

I'm sure for them it would make sense to turn things down.

So it really all depends on you.

Do you find Deadly Reentry too easy? Then turn up the difficulty as described on page one. (of Deadly Reentry)

Do you find Deadly Reentry too hard? Then turn the difficulty down by using lower numbers (for the settings described on page one) (of Deadly Reentry)

Thank you for the quick clarification!

So it is intended to stay at 25 (and therefore simulating real Earth with RSS and RealismOverhaul installed with this configuration)?