[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Serious question to the modder of Kerbal Joint Reinforcement...  And this is not to pressure you in any way, just a curiosity on my part.  Is there any sort of timeline on an update for KJR?  I love this mod, and have come to the point that playing 1.5 without it is... well, it isn't how I like to play the game.  I prefer something other than hotdogs flying through the sky, and you gave that to me.  Many thanks for it, and I wish I could help in some way, but sadly I can't program my way out of a wet paper bag, and I am broke as a joke.  I am simply curious if this mod is still on your list to update, and if it is, do you have any idea when we might see that update...  I love your work, I use this mod like religion so I am missing it for sure in the new build from Squad.  All the best, and I sincerely hope this finds you well, and in good spirits, and again, thanks for KJR, it has been a godsend through the years.  As always, I know modding is a secondary occupation, usually for fun, and is rarely as supported as it needs to be, so this is not a push to rush it, just a question of when we might see it.

14 hours ago, DStaal said:

First two are from Universal Storage II - Though the second probably needs KIS/KAS to appear as well, and the first appears to need either MechJeb of KOS (I have MechJeb.)

I thought the last was from Better Science Labs.  Apparently it's actually from Science Lab Info: https://github.com/yalov/ScienceLabInfo/releases  It's also just a clone of the stock science lab.

Managed to load it. Without KJR (any of them), the booster are bouncing on the LaunchPad and on flying, but with "my" (and probably any other one recompiled without the KSP version lockl), it works as expected.

It's something on your runtime. We will check this soon.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/issues/3

On 11/22/2018 at 12:55 AM, DStaal said:

First two are from Universal Storage II - Though the second probably needs KIS/KAS to appear as well, and the first appears to need either MechJeb of KOS (I have MechJeb.)

I thought the last was from Better Science Labs.  Apparently it's actually from Science Lab Info: https://github.com/yalov/ScienceLabInfo/releases  It's also just a clone of the stock science lab.

can you please run what follows on a terminal window and screenshot the results?

less "/Applications/Games/Kerbal Space Program/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement/config.xml"

You need to have something like this:

Spoiler

48966456-02d06480-efb9-11e8-9e78-695e774

Edited by Lisias
MOAR INFO

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

BTW: You should fix your editor.  UTF8-w/BOM is permitted, but not recommended. ;) 

An awfully amount of CFG files on KSP has the BOM. The whole KSP/Squad shebang has them. :D 

I just gave up on that. Doesn't make sense expending efforts on trying to fix something that KSP would redo later.

48972551-dc8be280-f013-11e8-86f9-8188465

Edited by Lisias
hit save too soon

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Here you go:

Krakens. I'm out of ideas.

The only way I could reproduce your problem if by mangling my environment - deleting KSPe.dll, putting an old one on there, deleting my KJR's DLL, deleting the config.xml file or moving it out of the KSPDIR/PluginData/KerbalJointReinforcement/config.xml . 

ALL but the last mangle happens to log something on the logs, but yours are clean of problems.

On last (desperate) attempt: you play KSP using a different user account you did to download/install the add-ons? The file being there is not the same as the KSP executable having rights to read it.

Well… Sometimes, the nuclear option is the only option. Run this little bash script (adapting MY_KSP_DIR to your KSP dir):

#!/usr/bin/env bash

MY_KSP_DIR=/Users/lisias/Applications/Games/KSP/Exodus
cd $MY_KSP_DIR/..
pwd > KJR_LISIAS_ISSUE_3.log
ls -lR $MY_KSP_DIR >> KJR_LISIAS_ISSUE_3.log
echo Please publisht $MY_KSP_DIR/../KJR_LISIAS_ISSUE_3.log on.
echo https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/issues/3

Edited by Lisias

29 minutes ago, JH4C said:

Should those last three entries say decouplerStiffeningExtensionTypeX instead of adecouplerStiffeningExtensionTypeX?

Those are on purpose to disable those features. I think it was noted in the readme.txt file or something. I remember looking it up to be sure myself.

Thanks for everyone's hard work trying to get KJR up and running! I don't know how I would live without this mod. Anyway, I've been trying to get Lisias's fork working for a couple of days now with little success. I discovered that it was a mod conflict, as KJR would seemingly work just fine in stock KSP. After painstakingly sorting through my mods for hours, I discovered the mod Modular Flight Integrator first made KJR not work at all, and now KSP just won't start when its installed. Am I missing something obvious, or are these mods simply incompatible? They worked fine together on 1.4.

EDIT: nvm, just installed things incorrectly, please ignore this!

Edited by Invaderchaos
I'm stupid

Quick question.  Is there any way from excluding certain parts from KJR?  I'm using Ground Construction and when trying to deploy a construction container in space (it grows to fit the final size of the ship), it is causing overlapping issues (and explosions).  It would be nice to have something like a ModuleB9DisableTransform list to exclude certain parts from being handled by KJR.

2 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

Quick question.  Is there any way from excluding certain parts from KJR?  I'm using Ground Construction and when trying to deploy a construction container in space (it grows to fit the final size of the ship), it is causing overlapping issues (and explosions).  It would be nice to have something like a ModuleB9DisableTransform list to exclude certain parts from being handled by KJR.

Yes. Edit the config.xml and add an entry on the "exemptModuleType" with the module the parts you have problem with.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, JH4C said:

Should those last three entries say decouplerStiffeningExtensionTypeX instead of adecouplerStiffeningExtensionTypeX?

Technically, yes. But this file was committed this way since the very first commit. So I don't know if this was done on purpose ("let me do this to remember to proper test it and then advise users to fix it"), or a Copy&Paste error.

It worths to give this a try on testing Scenarios, but I'm out of time these days. I will eventually do it. :) 

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/issues/2

On 11/24/2018 at 4:01 PM, DStaal said:

Here you go:

I have a new theory. :D 

I run my KSP on ~/Applications, so everything runs on my user accessing files owned by my user. And with +w on the files in GameData - as I discovered some time ago that by shoving -X or -W on all the DLLs would render the KSP unbootable. Apparently, the UMASK they are using while searching for files needs to have the +X and +W set to on, otherwise the file is not found. DLL included (and I wonder if this is the reason some A/V taints KSP as a threat).

You use KSP right on the /Applications hierarchy, where only the Super User can write things.

Check who is the owner of the KSP files on that installment (in special, for "my" KJR files) and see if the +w and +x are active on them!

19 hours ago, Lisias said:

Yes. Edit the config.xml and add an entry on the "exemptModuleType" with the module the parts you have problem with.

@Lisias

Thanks, I take it the "?" below isn't supposed to be there?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config>
    <bool name="reinforceAttachNodes">1</bool>
    <bool name="multiPartAttachNodeReinforcement">1</bool>
    <bool name="reinforceDecouplersFurther">1</bool>
    <bool name="reinforceLaunchClampsFurther">1</bool>
    <bool name="useVolumeNotArea">1</bool>
    <bool name="debug">0</bool>

<float name="angularDriveSpring">5e12</float>
    <float name="angularDriveDamper">25</float>
    <float name="angularMaxForceFactor">-1</float>

<float name="decouplerAndClampJointStrength">-1</float>

<float name="breakForceMultiplier">1</float>
    <float name="breakTorqueMultiplier">1</float>
    <float name="breakStrengthPerArea">1500</float>
    <float name="breakTorquePerMOI">6000</float>

<float name="massForAdjustment">0.01</float>
    <float name="upperMassForLockedJoint">0</float>

<string name="exemptPartType0">MuMechToggle</string>
    <string name="exemptPartType1">MuMechServo</string>

<string name="exemptModuleType0">WingManipulator</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType1">SingleGroupMan</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType2">KerbalEVA</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType3">MuMechToggle</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType4">ModuleKerbetrotterHitch</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType5">KASModuleWinch</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType6">ModuleGrappleNode</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType7">ModuleDockRotate</string>?

<string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType0">ModuleEngines</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType1">ModuleEnginesFX</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType2">ModuleHybridEngine</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType3">ModuleHybridEngines</string>
    <string name="decouplerStiffeningExtensionType4">ModuleEngineConfigs</string>
    <string name="adecouplerStiffeningExtensionType5">ModuleDecouple</string>
    <string name="adecouplerStiffeningExtensionType6">ModuleAnchoredDecoupler</string>
    <string name="adecouplerStiffeningExtensionType7">ProceduralFairingBase</string>

<float name="stiffeningExtensionMassRatioThreshold">5</float>
</config>

This was in the KerbalJointReinforcement-3.3.3.3-KSP_1.4.1.zip I downloaded from the link supplied.

Thanks for picking this up, as I have a couple heavy bases that the struts just don't cut it on!  KJR forever! :cool:

PS could I request that the following parts get added to a commit?

<string name="exemptModuleType8">DIYKit</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType9">OrbitalKitContainer2</string>

Thanks again!

Edited by Critter79606

3 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

@Lisias

Thanks, I take it the "?" below isn't supposed to be there?

<string name="exemptModuleType7">ModuleDockRotate</string>?

watahell?? o.O

I totally missed that! This problem is there since before I forked the project, as it appears!!!!

@DStaal , please check if this would not fix your issue!!!!

A new release will be published by night. Jeez… :blush:

3 hours ago, Critter79606 said:

@LisiasPS could I request that the following parts get added to a commit?

<string name="exemptModuleType8">DIYKit</string>
    <string name="exemptModuleType9">OrbitalKitContainer2</string>

Sure thing.

— POST — EDIT --

I localized the source of the error. IT`S NOT FROM FERRAM4  , just to prevent misunderstandings. :) 

Edited by Lisias
MOAR INFO

New toy, boys. :) KJR (/L)  3.3.3.4 for who wants to keep playing while Ferram is learning how to launch real rockets on the real World. :D 

(whoever is going to really maintain this, is going to gain a lot of issues solved!)

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F3.3.3.4

— POST — EDIT — 

I did a remerge from Meiru's code, followed by a rebase from my own changes. It's a new code-tree - I hope without glitches. If someone is willing to help me test this new code-tree, this is the download:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F3.4.0.0

Curiously, I remember I had mentioned the need for this remerge before. :) 

Edited by Lisias
PRE-RELEASE 3.4.0.0 (remerge)

On 11/27/2018 at 11:45 PM, Gordon Dry said:

That ? is the obvious dumb *nix hidden character that appears to be out there in the wild everywhere - likely best becoming visible in the Windows world.

Nope. It was a "?" char, 0x3f ascii code. :)

Ir probably happened when the guy typed the ">" to close the tag, and hit also the "/" key by accident!

— POST — EDIT — 

hmm, hmm. Aha! :)

ScreenShot_2018-11-28_at_08.25.12.jpg

Edited by Lisias
changing images URL

Absolutely AWESOME!  I will be loading this into my 1.5x save here shortly, and many thanks for upkeeping this for us!  Yall are epic.  Also... what's this about Ferram learning to launch real rockets in the real world?  Did not know, that also is awesome and if you contact him, hand him mad props from the Rocket Jockeys!!!

am I not installing this correctly? I just copied the contents of the ZIP right into my KSP folder so there are KJR folders in both GameData and PluginData. Are there any new dependencies I'm missing? I just did a test in KSP v1.4.5 (using a LGG release) and KSP 1.5.1 with the same mods installed and this video shows what happens in KSP 1.5.1 first followed by KSP 1.4.5:

So yea, under KSP 1.5.1 my rocket is now more of a wet noodle. Perhaps this is intended, I'm not sure. I do know that it still flies okay as it did under 1.4.5 - but I can definitely detect more AoA wobble in the initial boost phase compared to previous launches but it doesn't flex itself to death or anything like that.

9 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

So what version should i use for 1.4.5? I swapped my official kjr for @Lisias‘ version but experienced major flex which i didn’t remember having before

In the video above, I'm using this release from LGG:

41 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

So what version should i use for 1.4.5? I swapped my official kjr for @Lisias‘ version but experienced major flex which i didn’t remember having before

31 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

am I not installing this correctly? I just copied the contents of the ZIP right into my KSP folder so there are KJR folders in both GameData and PluginData. Are there any new dependencies I'm missing?

Yes, I forgot to mention the dependency on the Release Notes.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases