[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

1 hour ago, sDaZe said:

Finally got Scatterer and EVE working in stock size rss. So happy!

hbsT3ns.jpg

2HIqGQm.jpg

Yo!  Teach me your ways! That's awesome!  Exclamation point! Seriously that's awesome though mind sharing how? 

Edited by Berlin

13 hours ago, alexus said:

How i can use Using ALPHAMAP_A instead of ALPHAMAP_B in the clouds.cfg ?

Open the file '<KSP>\GameData\BoulderCo\Atmosphere\clouds.cfg' in notepad or something similar, find the line "alphaMask = ALPHAMAP_B" in the Kerbin object (should be line 17) and replace the '_B' by '_A'.

In space flight I get a lot of null reference errors, which I believe is related to EVE, based on there is a dll called "Utils.dll" in EVE.

[EXC 11:17:01.668] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Utils.DeferredRenderer.OnWillRenderObject ()

It comes many, many, many times in a row. I have had flight where it did not appeare, but I'm unsure of what is causing it.

Log file

Can anybody conferm this error?

First of all, thank you for maintaining this mod.  However, using the stock stuff (EVE & your configs), KSP does not even start, it crashes before I even see the load screen.

Full log after KSP has crashed.  I hope a screenshot isn't necessary in this case... :rolleyes:

Edit: This happens even without the configs, just EVE installed.

Edit2: Seems to be an incompatibility with forcing DX11, which I still had in my shortcut to save RAM on the 32-bit 1.0.x installs.  It works fine when you don't force DX11.

Edited by `Orum

2 hours ago, `Orum said:

Seems to be an incompatibility with forcing DX11, which I still had in my shortcut to save RAM on the 32-bit 1.0.x installs.  It works fine when you don't force DX11.

DX11 support is broken in KSP, it's not the fault of the mod

Sorry, I wasn't trying to blame EVE, I know it's not their fault.  It'd be nice to have a warning though for anyone else in the main post (I found out by accident when looking at scatterer).

5 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

In space flight I get a lot of null reference errors, which I believe is related to EVE, based on there is a dll called "Utils.dll" in EVE.

[EXC 11:17:01.668] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Utils.DeferredRenderer.OnWillRenderObject ()

It comes many, many, many times in a row. I have had flight where it did not appeare, but I'm unsure of what is causing it.

Log file

Can anybody conferm this error?

This may simply be an old install (there was a quick patch put up shortly after release to address this). 

@rbray89 I am trying to replicate a hurricane by using one cube face with the hurricane texture's, storm eye directly in the center of the texture. I apply it in game, say as the Top Face and change the rotationAxis1 to be 1,0,0 so that the texture rotates with its axes through the eye... creating a spinning storm. I can change the speed of the rotation of the storm by increasing the speed parameter as 0,x,0.

This is all desirable but when it comes to locking down the eye of the storm to a specific place over the planet/moon I am having trouble. I can change the Z value of the offset to change the Latitude of the storm but as I have locked down the other two axis of rotation into the same plane I cannot then change the offset of the X or Y to change the Longitude of the storm so that I could, for example, have two storms 10 degrees South of the equator, but on opposite sides of the sphere.

Any ideas?

1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

@rbray89 I am trying to replicate a hurricane by using one cube face with the hurricane texture's, storm eye directly in the center of the texture. I apply it in game, say as the Top Face and change the rotationAxis1 to be 1,0,0 so that the texture rotates with its axes through the eye... creating a spinning storm. I can change the speed of the rotation of the storm by increasing the speed parameter as 0,x,0.

This is all desirable but when it comes to locking down the eye of the storm to a specific place over the planet/moon I am having trouble. I can change the Z value of the offset to change the Latitude of the storm but as I have locked down the other two axis of rotation into the same plane I cannot then change the offset of the X or Y to change the Longitude of the storm so that I could, for example, have two storms 10 degrees South of the equator, but on opposite sides of the sphere.

Any ideas?

The axis of rotation are applied in order... As are the offsets. So what you can do:

1. Place the texture on the Y axis.
  2. Rotate on Z or X using offset
  3. Rotate on Y axis using speed.

This will get you a spinning texture at wherever you rotated the Y axis to be.

I can use the X offset to adjust the Longitude but when adjusting the Z offset is does change the original latitude of the texture but it still rotates around the Y axis pole on the equator so you get a warbling effect.

Beware the incoming massive .gifs...

Animation6d98e.gif

^ Works fine with no Z offset.

Animation1bda13.gif

^ With a offset at Z the texture rotates around the Y axis pole sitting at 0 Latitude which creates a standing wave like warble.

Getting confused here. I ideally want the Z axis to work for the the offset but then not apply when the rotation is applied.

38 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

I can use the X offset to adjust the Longitude but when adjusting the Z offset is does change the original latitude of the texture but it still rotates around the Y axis pole on the equator so you get a warbling effect.

Works fine with no Z offset.

at Z the texture rotates around the Y axis pole sitting at 0 Latitude which creates a standing wave like warble.

Getting confused here. I ideally want the Z axis to work for the the offset but then not apply when the rotation is applied.

MUST ... HAVE ... THIS ... GIVE ... US ... PLEASE :)

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

^ Works fine with no Z offset.

^ With a offset at Z the texture rotates around the Y axis pole sitting at 0 Latitude which creates a standing wave like warble.

If I were doing this, I'd do it this way:

1. Texture on Y axis.
  2. Offset of x,z,0
  3. Speed of x,z,0
  4. Rotation Axis0: 1,0,0
  5. Rotation Axis1: 0,0,1
  6. Rotation Axis2: 0,1,0

You just have to remember that you aren't using the body's axis, you are using the CLOUD axis. You have to imagine the axis being moved around.
This also means that you could do NON-X/Y/Z axis too... Say you want the clouds to swirl around the planet, you can do so by messing with Axis0 and Axis1 and speed/offset of x and z. 

EDIT: Thought I'd explain what you are seeing in your second GIF as even I had trouble visualizing it.

What is happening is that when you rotate on Y, you change where your X and Z axis are. 
This isn't much of an issue when you only use X to rotate after your Y, but when you think about it, you end up with something like this:

etVBEoP.png

Edited by rbray89

Haha, yeah, thanks for the confirmation of it. I knew I was getting it wrong but I also knew why it what wrong as you explained above, I was getting the fingers out, Fleming's Left Hand Rule style, to visualise it but what you are suggesting makes sense. I'll go have a tinker and post the results.

@rbray89 I got it sorted.

Animation25a7a8.gif

Basically had to use the following:

• Texture on the Yp or Yn cube face
  • Speed: 0,0,x (where x is speed of rotation of storm)
  • Offset: x,y,0 (where x is Latitude range 0 to 180 and y is Longitude range -180 to 180)
  • rotationAxis0: 1,0,0
  • rotationAxis1: 0,0,1
  • rotationAxis2: 0,1,0

Basically what I had been thinking after my original post and yours just with the speed modifier being the z value. Now proof of concept it sorted, just have to make it look good now. :D

Thanks for your help.

8 hours ago, Poodmund said:

• Offset: x,y,0 (where x is Latitude range 0 to 180 and y is Longitude range -180 to 180)

Basically what I had been thinking after my original post and yours just with the speed modifier being the z value. Now proof of concept it sorted, just have to make it look good now. :D

Thanks for your help.

Cool!!!!!!!!!!! And It would be great if the storm could randomly appear and disappear...to change the direction of rotation, the density of the clouds... to change in size... like a real atmosphere. Dreams!

Every time I visit this thread all I do is drool this mod rocks!  I will be installing just as soon as I finish my stock play through for 1.1.   Thanks again rbray89.

17 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Animation25a7a8.gif

Thanks for your help.

Ah man! The possibilities in RSS, I new it was possible with EVE but guess I had to see it in action to grasp its true awesomeness. Axially tilted auroras on planets like Uranus, Jupiters giant storm... This has me wanting to remake all of Earths clouds dammit! :D 

Edited by pingopete