[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Is this a known thing?

6iRjTQd.png

Seems to happen when a cloud's shadow passes over.  happens to all sorts of lights with corona's, like the spot light on that tower beside the launch pad and the runway lights (esp the big end lights).  Looks to me like we are seeing the polys, like the "transparent" part of the texture is rendering gray.

28 minutes ago, Proot said:

@rbray89 could use Eve the shader for the giant gas planets inside this mod to create procedural clods with behaviours similar to the clouds in the video loop posted by @pingopete?

I mean for planets like Kerbin.

It wouldn't work as well for something like kerbin unfortunately... I've looked high and low for something that will approximate procedural clouds, but I think I'm going to have to invent something.

2 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Is this a known thing?

6iRjTQd.png

Seems to happen when a cloud's shadow passes over.  happens to all sorts of lights with corona's, like the spot light on that tower beside the launch pad and the runway lights (esp the big end lights).  Looks to me like we are seeing the polys, like the "transparent" part of the texture is rendering gray.

It's known. Squad never added the proper render tags to ignore it. Eventually I plan to overhaul the lighting system and I'll get to this.

Sorry for my deficient brain but I can't figure out how to download that new dev version.

The link above just takes me to a github page with no download options and anything I click on takes me to another page.

If anyone out there can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it.

1 minute ago, MartGonzo said:

Sorry for my deficient brain but I can't figure out how to download that new dev version.

The link above just takes me to a github page with no download options and anything I click on takes me to another page.

If anyone out there can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it.

Click View Raw to download binaries(zip) from GitHub.

a test done with Scatterer + Thomassino's Sunflares & new Eve release

This is Stock Eve pack / texture (with few personal tune :) ) but for shure when Pingo, Proot, Nhawks they will doo a proper use it will make immersion lvl to get on next lvl :))))

Cheers!

The particles seems to not be customizable. I'm getting just squares with ghosts textures... Also, the ghosts textures at the squares are not mine, are the ghost from your textures, even when your configs and textures are not installed.

:confused:

@rbray89 Great job on the new clouds, they look fantastic!

Had a bit of a play around in the config to see what cloud covering I could come up with for Minmus.

Didn't turn out too bad with the new Dev Update and Scatterer.

Spoiler

screenshot1_zpstusegwz8.jpg

screenshot5_zpsvcvy4r87.jpg

screenshot7_zpshutg7jnl.jpg

screenshot9_zps9yfagug3.jpg

hope the pics work

Edited by DrFumbles

2 hours ago, Blacks said:

a test done with Scatterer + Thomassino's Sunflares & new Eve release

This is Stock Eve pack / texture (with few personal tune :) ) but for shure when Pingo, Proot, Nhawks they will doo a proper use it will make immersion lvl to get on next lvl :))))

Cheers!

Glad you like them!

2 hours ago, Proot said:

The particles seems to not be customizable. I'm getting just squares with ghosts textures... Also, the ghosts textures at the squares are not mine, are the ghost from your textures, even when your configs and textures are not installed.

:confused:

To reduce the number of textures (and help draw calls), I mapped RGB to XYZ as a single texture. You may need to take a look at the textures and configs in BoulderCo to see what I'm doing.

2 hours ago, DrFumbles said:

@rbray89 Great job on the new clouds, they look fantastic!

Had a bit of a play around in the config to see what cloud covering I could come up with for Minmus.

Didn't turn out too bad with the new Dev Update and Scatterer.

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot1_zpstusegwz8.jpg

screenshot5_zpsvcvy4r87.jpg

screenshot7_zpshutg7jnl.jpg

screenshot9_zps9yfagug3.jpg

hope the pics work

Alright, that is seriously cool. I hope to add an option for the layers to "move up" at some point.

Eclipses are showing up on the backside of planets. Newest dev update. This seems wrong. Intended behavior? Apologies if I missed something earlier in the thread about it.

Spoiler

5hR4A7w.png

Edited by theonegalen

10 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Eclipses are showing up on the backside of planets. Newest dev update. This seems wrong. Intended behavior? Apologies if I missed something earlier in the thread about it.

Reveal hidden contents

5hR4A7w.png

This is one of those things that is kinda hard to solve. Working on it though.

3 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

@rbray89 has the newest build changed config structure at all or should existing configs be safe to continue to use?

Particles have changed. I also added a new option for cloud maps. Take a look at the new Kerbin configs.

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

Glad you like them!

To reduce the number of textures (and help draw calls), I mapped RGB to XYZ as a single texture. You may need to take a look at the textures and configs in BoulderCo to see what I'm doing.

Alright, that is seriously cool. I hope to add an option for the layers to "move up" at some point.

I've seen that, and I've done my own cloud+bumpmap. All works fine except this, even when I create a completely new layer.

In the layers where I didn't use normalmap the problem persist too. Also, once you have writed in the GUI space for the bumpmaps particles you can't completely delete it anymore.

If you want, I can send you my logs to check.

DOnw6mD.jpg

Edited by Proot

8 minutes ago, Proot said:

I've seen that, and I've done my own cloud+bumpmap. All works fine except this, even when I create a completely new layer.

In the layers where I didn't use normalmap the problem persist too. Also, once you have writed in the GUI space for the bumpmaps particles you can't completely delete it anymore.

If you want, I can send you my logs to check.

DOnw6mD.jpg

The bumpmaps aren't actually used... Forgot to remove that.

So the issue only shows up after creating a new layer using the GUI? There aren't any problems with just using the configs?

46 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

The bumpmaps aren't actually used... Forgot to remove that.

So the issue only shows up after creating a new layer using the GUI? There aren't any problems with just using the configs?

So the bumpmap is not necessary/can't be changed?

Ok, let me re-do some changes and check again.

Edit: @rbray89 Now is working, seems like my bump was messing all. Its very nice!!

Could be possible in the future to have an optative mode (mixed with the old one) for 3particles+3(customizable)bumps? Under this system that could give the most gorgeus clouds ever seen!

...I'm statring to doubt about the channel system to store the clouds and the particles (dds has a very poor compression saving quality for separated channels and huge pixels are visible due the compression).

And btw, could you explain how works the new system for could maps?

Edited by Proot

20 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Ah... that is due to the scale of the universe... I can only use floats so even this scaled system will run into the floating point limit.

4 casters is the limit. So systems need to only use the closest/largest bodies in their shadow config.

Well, we may not have solved my problem, but we do at least have some documentation down on these issues for other people who might have these questions in the future.

Thanks for all the help rbray!

6 minutes ago, VonFrank said:

Well, we may not have solved my problem, but we do at least have some documentation down on these issues for other people who might have these questions in the future.

Thanks for all the help rbray!

Yeah, unfortunately there are lots of these kinds of limits...