[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Can anyone give me a simple direction for what I need to fix? I'm running x64 KSP on Ubuntu Linux 14.04, and every time I try installing EVE, it crashes and locks up my computer when it gets to loading /BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1. I have to reset my computer to do anything. Clearly, this isn't affecting everybody, since there are loads of people talking about in-game issues under Linux, which I never get the chance to experience. I've searched and searched through the forums, and keep getting sucked down various rabbit holes.

Help? Please?

Can anyone give me a simple direction for what I need to fix? I'm running x64 KSP on Ubuntu Linux 14.04, and every time I try installing EVE, it crashes and locks up my computer when it gets to loading /BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1. I have to reset my computer to do anything. Clearly, this isn't affecting everybody, since there are loads of people talking about in-game issues under Linux, which I never get the chance to experience. I've searched and searched through the forums, and keep getting sucked down various rabbit holes.

Help? Please?

I've never had a problem running EVE on Linux 64-bit (first Ubuntu, now Linux Mint). IIRC, it's often the texture after the one that's named on screen that's actually causing the problem. Have you got ATM installed? Can you post logs?

(/home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log is the most useful one)

I've never had a problem running EVE on Linux 64-bit (first Ubuntu, now Linux Mint). IIRC, it's often the texture after the one that's named on screen that's actually causing the problem. Have you got ATM installed? Can you post logs?

(/home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log is the most useful one)

There is never anything useful in the logs, and I don't have ATM installed (Why bother?) I have found on the Linux thread a fairly sane explanation of problems with AMD drivers. I'm going to try that. I think last time I tried that it killed my multi-monitor setup, though.

Distant Object Enhancement does not play nice with Environmental Visual Enhancement. With both installed the night side textures on Kerbin get all messed up.

I've no idea which of the two is to blame.

I don't have ATM installed (Why bother?)

DXT texture compression and mipmaps. ATM basic is good even in 64-bit Linux. It doesn't resize textures, but adding mipmaps to PNG and JPG files can improve visual quality. Although now - if all the mod makers switch to using DDS - it may become redundant for us.

I have found on the Linux thread a fairly sane explanation of problems with AMD drivers. I'm going to try that. I think last time I tried that it killed my multi-monitor setup, though.

Can't offer any help if it's AMD driver-related. Got an nVidia card myself.

There is never anything useful in the logs, and I don't have ATM installed (Why bother?) I have found on the Linux thread a fairly sane explanation of problems with AMD drivers. I'm going to try that. I think last time I tried that it killed my multi-monitor setup, though.

Tried this?

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2uzj9h/psa_users_of_linux_version_of_ksp_with_amd/

I'm using fglrx-14.501.1003 (installed manually) at the present moment:

* EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-7-4 does work

* EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-OVERHAUL-9-2 does not work.

But I'm really interested in testing those open source drivers (mostly becouse I use tons of mods, and would be really happy of the performance boost [if there is any]).

I am using EVE and Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar on 1.0, and getting weird red splotches on Kerbin, Laythe, and Jool as shown below (Eve seems OK). I started with a clean install (no mods other than EVE, ATM, and the mods needed for AVP (Chatterer, PlanetShine, Texture Replacer). I have reinstalled AVP and fiddled around with the ctrl-n menu - neither solved the problem. Any thoughts?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I am using EVE and Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar on 1.0, and getting weird red splotches on Kerbin, Laythe, and Jool as shown below (Eve seems OK). I started with a clean install (no mods other than EVE, ATM, and the mods needed for AVP (Chatterer, PlanetShine, Texture Replacer). I have reinstalled AVP and fiddled around with the ctrl-n menu - neither solved the problem. Any thoughts?

Check your active texture Management cache folder and see if any files that didn't get properly compressed. I had a bunch of 1 byte files and almost everything was red... deleting those and then relaunching ksp worked.

Edited by R3QUIT3D

Yep. Just tried that, and confirmed that the problem is somewhere between AMD drivers and PNG library. Opening certain EVE and Astronomer's Pack texture PNGs in image viewers (Image Magic and EOG) also freezes my desktop. IT's not an EVE or KSP bug. From some bug reports I've found, it sounds like there are certain optimisation methods used for PNGs that trigger the bug. Perhaps there's a solution there in re-encoding PNGs. If devs would like to try different PNG settings, I'm happy to help, as I am reliably getting the UI freeze when opening certain texture files. Send me a PM and we can work something out.

I had freezes before on 0.90. But it happened while in transition from main menu to the second one. A temp fix was to change the rendering quality to anything lower than normal? (I sticked with lowest just to be sure). Then I installed the official radeon drivers and it worked on highest settings. Though I had occasional block ripping/tearing while moving camera.

Opening certain EVE and Astronomer's Pack texture PNGs in image viewers (Image Magic and EOG) also freezes my desktop. IT's not an EVE or KSP bug. From some bug reports I've found, it sounds like there are certain optimisation methods used for PNGs that trigger the bug.

Have you tried opening them in the GIMP? For work I had some goofy PNGs that wouldn't open in Photoshop, ImageMagick or GraphicConverter (legendary Mac image viewer/converter) but GIMP worked just fine.

yeah they should, or maybe already are, hiring Rbray to properly integrate this in the game.

This, and/or they are planning this for when they move to Unity 5. If they ever decide to move to Unity5, it seems to be the best time to do a polish pass on graphics and additionnal effects.

Hi!

I tried reinstalling the Astronomer's pack (just clouds, nothing else) and impossible to run the game properly. He keeps crashing at launch and when it works, all the textures are bugged.

But the mod works EVE. But I do not like the clouds.

I no longer use ActiveTextureManagement because it was a problem with Karbonite Infernal Robotic.

So the problem is not there.

By cons I have an AMD card.

Anyway, so guys is this currently working or not, seems to be pretty old. Maybe it should be adopted.

RBray is definitely around, they're currently working on (overhauling) EVE whilst also helping blackrack with Scatterer.

1.0 has only been out for a couple of days, if we could please refrain from adding additional pressure or expectations on top of the authors own that would be fantastic, thanks!

Edited by NoMrBond

Every time I've seen this it has to do with the format the city lights textures are in. I haven't dealt with it in a while, but if you convert them to dds or png it should go away. These files should be properly converted:

Dropbox

Every time I've seen this it has to do with the format the city lights textures are in. I haven't dealt with it in a while, but if you convert them to dds or png it should go away. These files should be properly converted:

Dropbox

Any tips for what settings to use when converting to DDS?

I installed EVE and then Astronomer's Edge of Oblivion pack and then used Paint.Net to convert to .DDS with these settings:

0sOKr5u.png

But the clouds came out a bit weird, very solid looking:

kBHbagJ.jpg

Any tips for what settings to use when converting to DDS?

I installed EVE and then Astronomer's Edge of Oblivion pack and then used Paint.Net to convert to .DDS with these settings:

But the clouds came out a bit weird, very solid looking:

As far as I know, cloud textures have to be kept readable in the game. This was possible using DDSLoader, but the built-in DDS loader in the game doesn't set them as readable. This may be causing your issue. Might be best to leave cloud textures as PNG.