[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I just tried it, and anything that isn't detail textures gets screwed up big time. They show up all pixellated and not even the full texture shows up.

I have a question: what happens if I take a normal, working cloud config and load it in a game that has rescaled planets? I assume it is unlikely to just work out of the box, but from the way I see it, there's two possible scenarios:

1.) The cloud configs are defined relative to the surface, so as long as the atmosphere doesn't change, the clouds will work without adjustment

2.) The cloud configs are defined relative to the planet's center, so if the planet radius changes in any way, the clouds no longer work as they should

But which one is it? Have people actually used EVE clouds with rescaled planets? (Not RO, I think they had a custom version of EVE?)

And are there other complications I may not have thought of?

But which one is it? Have people actually used EVE clouds with rescaled planets? (Not RO, I think they had a custom version of EVE?)

And are there other complications I may not have thought of?

I actually just finished tinkering with clouds for 3.7x rescale + OPM. As far as I can tell, the altitude is defined relative to the surface.

The biggest things I've considered when using clouds on an upscaled system are z-fighting (weird graphical flickering) and the cloud speeds. I've managed to reduce z-fighting by using a higher than normal altitude for the clouds and removing some cloud layers altogether. Also you'll need to reduce the cloud speed a bit depending on the scale so the clouds aren't whizzing by at unrealistic speeds (tangential velocity increasing as radius increases and all that mathy stuff).

I haven't ever tinkered with scale settings or anything like that as it hasn't really seemed necessary.

Pardon my ignorance, but the pack in OP is 0.24 right? And there is a 1.0 pack somewhere in the thread? Want to make sure I'm not wasting my time going through these 450+ pages.

It hasn't been updated since 0.24, but it works fine in 1.0.2.

Pardon my ignorance, but the pack in OP is 0.24 right? And there is a 1.0 pack somewhere in the thread? Want to make sure I'm not wasting my time going through these 450+ pages.

Because of how it works, it hasn't needed an update since 0.24. The mod author is still adding stuff to the mod, though. He's said on reddit he's gonna try and add a Scatterer-type thing to it.

Oh dear. When I install it I don't get anything. You just drop gamedata into the main folder so it merges right?

Yes, what are your system specs? And are you running OpenGL? And lastly did you install just EVE? Or did you install astronomers visual or renaissance along with it? I like to open the game data folders in the zip files to make sure I don't roll back my version of Module manager. What version I module manager are you currently running by the way?

do you have some mod like texture replacer or advanced texture management?

Same effect for me, same installation (CKAN) and yes, using both TR and ATM. These played nicely together previously. I don't have any part mods installed so didn't expect to run into memory problems or anything of the sort.

Same effect for me, same installation (CKAN) and yes, using both TR and ATM. These played nicely together previously. I don't have any part mods installed so didn't expect to run into memory problems or anything of the sort.

You could try to add an exception for eve textures and see if that fixes the problem

or at least try a clean install with eve only and then see if you have that problem anyway

Something is broken...

http://imgur.com/1XJWFrJ

...installed using CKAN.

To expand on what Sigma88 has mentioned:

Image conversion is a high mem intensive task and even though ATM does a good job, sometimes things can go a little wrong (especially if you are using Win KSP_32).

*ATM also tries to do its best to convert textures and free memory as it builds its cache - but it is still quite easy to hit the high mark occasionally.*

Once the texture is done correctly and stored in ATM's cache, it will not need processing again.

(I have had a 'Pink Kerbin' in the past due to a crash during ATM processing).

You can try and find the faulty cache files in ATM's cache folder and delete them - ATM will redo them if they are missing.

Thanks guys. What I did was delete the cache folder, and then rerun the 'build' a few times. After each crash I deleted any files that looked corrupt (0 bytes) and the file that the loader crashed on. After a few runs of it basically doing each PNG individually, it finally loaded up and no more pink Kerbin and no red and white stripes.

I wonder if a solution can be made where EVE can be recoded to use DDS files, in order to make ATM completely unnecessary? Perhaps the ideal solution would be Squad contacting the developers to work together to get this into stock like the many other mods that have been incorporated. Or perhaps that should wait until after the Unity 5 conversion, since there are several new visual effects available with that that might make parts of EVE unnecessary or obsolete.

All the same, I'm glad this is back up and running, while I'm not too bothered about clouds on Kerbin, I've always enjoyed a mission to Eve itself much better with the sense of foreboding that the first moments of entering the first wisps of its soupy atmosphere brings. I've just reached this point in my current career hence my desire to get EVE reinstalled.

1Rl3tjA.jpg

Has anyone used modulemanager to change the EVE config?

I'm looking to change the speed of clouds, but haven't had any success.

Here is an example of the code that isn't working :(

@CLOUD_LAYER_PACK
{
@CLOUD_LAYER[Laythe]
{
@DEFAULTS
{
@main_texture
{
@speed
{
@x /= 2
}
}
@detail_texture
{
speed
{
x /= 2
}
}
}
}
}

That's fine for personal use, but no good if I want to distribute the changes with a mod.

Indeed and it gets a lot more complicated when you factor into account that not everyone will be using default EVE. Some might be using KSPRC or another config pack which has multiple layers of clouds for a number of varying effects along with default and saved settings. Anyway, I had a crack at it and while I could get module manager to acknowledge it had patched something I could not get the desired effect to take hold in game, so I have no idea what it actually patched.

I'm far from a module manager expert but here's the code I tried...

@CLOUD_LAYER_PACK
{
@CLOUD_LAYER
{
@DEFAULTS:HAS[#body[Kerbin]]
{
@main_texture
{
@speed
{
@x *= 5000
}
}
@detail_texture
{
@speed
{
@x *= 5000
}
}
}
@SAVED:HAS[#body[Kerbin]]
{
@main_texture
{
@speed
{
@x *= 5000
}
}
@detail_texture
{
@speed
{
@x *= 5000
}
}
}
}
}

I tried replacing the values instead of multiplying them aswell as putting

[*] markers behind all the titles...I'm too tired to think. EVE Overhaul uses a different config structure and from what I can make out on the RVE github, they are simply distributing redefined configs.

It might be worth asking in the Module Manager thread but I'm inclined to think it's not built to handle EVEs configs as they are not defined in the same way as say a part with modules.