[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

Nobody else has mentioned it so I will: that's just mechjeb's PID controller. It's a little wonky sometimes. There's some option in mechjeb to adjust the PID values that can make things much smoother if its misbehaving with a particular ship. Play with those a bit (sorry can't help you with specifics) and see what happens.

The new stock SAS code seems to be pretty smooth now, even with large gimbal ranges. It's too bad mechjeb uses its own currently inferior controller.

Thanks for pointing it out, I appreciate it. I'll have to tool around in MechJeb like you said.

Hey, dtobi, would it be possible for you to add Buran/Energia style tanks and tank-mounted engines? For the orbiter, we can just use the current engines, but a grey tank with engines and the Buran LRB's would be cool.

Energia_buran.jpg

Here, you can see how there is engines under the outboard tank, not just on the boosters and the orbiter. Of course, you shouldn't make any fancy look-alike stuff, Soviet Pack is for that. Just a roughly similar LRB and outboard tank.

I'd like some fairing sections to match the shape of the radial mounts (perhaps a fuselage section and a LFO section) so it can be extended for visual reasons, and a connector part to fit that flares out to standard circular sizes.

Also, this bug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe_fjOZEPOI

That bug looks rasther strange. Can you upload the craft file somewhere?

Fairings are difficult for these bent engines. Let me think about it.

for a cluster

and fine tuning

Nice idea... However, it would need a probe bi-or tricoupler. I'll consider that.

I wanted to mome a little bit away from teh Space shuttle theme anyway and go more for "Asymmetric Rockets" - which includes space shuttle type rockets as well.

Hey, dtobi, would it be possible for you to add Buran/Energia style tanks and tank-mounted engines? For the orbiter, we can just use the current engines, but a grey tank with engines and the Buran LRB's would be cool.

Energia_buran.jpg

Here, you can see how there is engines under the outboard tank, not just on the boosters and the orbiter. Of course, you shouldn't make any fancy look-alike stuff, Soviet Pack is for that. Just a roughly similar LRB and outboard tank.

Whew. I've seen the OK-GLI Buran recently - impressive thing! You just need a white tank? KW Rocketry has such boosters if I recall properly.

Or you can use kerbpaint and just repaint the tanks you need...

Whew. I've seen the OK-GLI Buran recently - impressive thing! You just need a white tank? KW Rocketry has such boosters if I recall properly.

NovaPunch has something that looks like the Energia Boosters, but they've got quite weird ISP's. Anyway, the only thing that we REALLY need to be able to make a Buran-style space shuttle is the outboard tank engines with high gimbal range.

NovaPunch has something that looks like the Energia Boosters, but they've got quite weird ISP's. Anyway, the only thing that we REALLY need to be able to make a Buran-style space shuttle is the outboard tank engines with high gimbal range.

I'm actually working on new versions, but they're for my shuttle pack - those in NP are actually really old models that Novasilisko made and they're being retired soon too.

http://i.imgur.com/xcawGct.jpg

I'm actually working on new versions, but they're for my shuttle pack - those in NP are actually really old models that Novasilisko made and they're being retired soon too.

http://i.imgur.com/xcawGct.jpg

You're retiring them??? They are still really cool with all the pipes and such. It's gonna be a sad day to be a green man. Oh, and if they're that old, you shouldn't retire them - they, along with the fixed landing legs, are pretty much what makes NovaPunch hold the "Oldest Still Functioning Addon" title, aren't they? I actually can't think of other really old parts right now.

Just retiring the models, making new ones to replace them. (probably, frizzank does most of the art now, he sometimes updates old models, we'll see)

I'm leaning towards making the liquid boosters look like the new proposed boosters for the SLS (the one they're making a new F-1 engine for)

http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/sls-dynetics.jpg

But enough of that, don't want to derail this thread. These are some quality parts, and its cool to have some stuff built to work with B9 and add shuttle functions.

That's how my Tiberdyne mod started - it was shuttle addon parts for the old C7 spaceplane mod (before they became stock parts, heh)

Edited by Tiberion

I still really can't balance my thrust, even using this.

Getting the CoM right, requires some practice even with this mod. Some hints:

If you go nose down, set your tank higher. This will reduce the required angle of the engines. If your CoM shifts too much during flight, you can use the new fuel flow breakers and fuel lines to segment larger tanks and avoid strong shifting CoMs.

Would you post a picture or send me one ( vab with CoM and CoT) and a beauty shot of your vessel?

Edited by dtobi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.