[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Why isn't this thread called RealBacon Bacon Systems yet? Pretty please!

Create a file in your GameData folder named BaconChutes.cfg

Copy and paste the following into that file. Then, serve and enjoy. I mean, start up the game.

MATERIAL
{
name = Bacon
description = Bacon, while an incredibly tasty meat candy, is completely useless as a parachute being too fragile to withstand deployment forces. DO NOT USE AS A PARACHUTE.
areaDensity = 0.0005
dragCoefficient = 0.05
areaCost = 0.1
}

You will now be able to create chutes made out of bacon! They look just like real parachutes due to the magic of Kerbal engineering. (read: I was too lazy to make a bacon texture)

Note however that they tend to be heavier than ordinary chutes being thicker and a little denser. They are also near useless as parachutes because the bacon tends to stretch, deform and tear. Your Kerbals will probably not survive using this chute. Well, at least the recovery crews however will not have to worry about sharing the chutes with the crew.

Finally, the cost per chute is outrageous. It's very difficult to keep enough bacon in stock to make new chutes out of it because the Kerbals keep eating it all. The cost of increased inventory security is therefore factored into the cost of each chute. Also the cost of constantly having to procure more bacon as the security guards keep eating the stock.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to repack a chute ?

I installed the new version and deactivated the "only engineers" can do it option. Also i set the cut chute paramter to -1. So for now the chutes stay attached but when i eva with my pilot on kerbin to repack them the right click context menu does not have repach only "cut" as an option.

So how to repack them ?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I installed the new version and deactivated the "only engineers" can do it option. Also i set the cut chute paramter to -1. So for now the chutes stay attached but when i eva with my pilot on kerbin to repack them the right click context menu does not have repach only "cut" as an option.

So how to repack them ?

Thanks

The usual workflow is to let the chute cut, then repack it. That's why there's a configurable number of spares for each chute. Does the "repack" option appear after you cut the chute?

Hi Guys,

So how to repack them ?

Thanks

Not enough info. First, logs. Second what is the "cut chute" parameter. Where did you set that, because the editor will not let you apply negative values. When are you trying to repack.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for answering so quick!

First off, this could not be a bug, more my stupidity. I did not test: cut the chute and then repack it. i thought this was not possible as the chute was cut. But now it makes more sense like this.

Ok so i tried: The the altitude to cut it so -1. I set that in the VAB in the config dialog of the chute. Then i cut the chute with the kerbal evaing and repack did not appear only attach and grab (propably from KAS).

So is the normal process like this ?

1. Set altitude to cut at something (not -1)

2. let chutes be cut of

3. eva with kerbal

4. go to the "empty" chute and click on repack

???

I'm still not convinced this is a bug and claim for now my not understanding how this works neurons in my brain....

Thanks for clarifying.

You mean you set the autocut altitude to -1? Because you can't, the editor window from the action groups will not let you do that. The label will turn red, and if you hit apply an error message will appear. You don't even have to touch this parameter at all most of the time actually. The parachutes will cut on their own when necessary once your craft touches the ground. To repack, the only conditions are for at least one chute being cut, and for your craft to either be out of the atmosphere, or on the ground, not moving, and you need to have enough spare chutes. You just EVA the kerbal, approach the part, right click, and press "Repack". If the option is not there, one of the conditions I mentioned is not met.

For the mass quantities of Tang?

One is for Tang, and the other contains various condiments to go with bacon.

Will these Parachutes *Ahem, picnic backpacks have there own textures?

The parachute picnic backpack textures are separate from the stock Kerbal EVA model, yes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.