[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

36 minutes ago, suicidejunkie said:

Would it be possible to simply grey out/disable the sliders when picking the ship design for a survey station?

Yeah. I'm in the process of redoing EL's resource system. I'll try to remember to do that.

As for the bahamuto drills: I've updated the link. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Eskandare said:

Actually, I found it :)  I made the necessary modifications to make it work in 1.3.1  :D

Nice.

Could you make a list of the steps you took while they're fresh?

I'm collecting a mod set for my Dad to upgrade to, and that would come in handy for me and probably a lot of other people.

10 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

Nice.

Could you make a list of the steps you took while they're fresh?

I'm collecting a mod set for my Dad to upgrade to, and that would come in handy for me and probably a lot of other people.

@Dux Aquila has a link to the mod posted on the last post in:

There are community fixes but I'll post the CFG file to replace the originals. I was thinking of just making a MM patch. 

On 1/31/2018 at 7:09 PM, Eskandare said:

@Dux Aquila has a link to the mod posted on the last post in:

There are community fixes but I'll post the CFG file to replace the originals. I was thinking of just making a MM patch. 

I'd linked that thread earlier, but as you'd noted it isn't quite up to date.  I was thinking to try and make an MM patch based on the changes you'd found necessary, but I suppose the best way to communicate what those changes are is an MM patch itself :)

So I am having some trouble, and either I've broken the mod when I install it or I am just not doing something right. Whenever i try to build a ship, if i have the parts necessary it can get  it to 100% and the finalize option to come up but no matter how many times i click finalize, the craft never builds and appears. ive used the orbital dock and multiple launchpads (some included from mods like USI or Freighter)

Am I just stupid and missing something simple or perhaps I'm somehow installing it wrong? Perhaps a mod in my Gamedata is interfering with it finalizing? Also in case it might have been the issue i double checked that i have the latest module manager just in case that was what was messing with it

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to this mod. I seem to have a bit of a problem. Craft called Icarus IV 0.41b EL seems to have zero productivity. For the life of me I cannot see or understand why. I have in the same game a little test rover called Jack I. Now that does have a productivity. Not fantastic I admit, but it was rather to prove to myself that this mod does work in this install. Can anyone help me shed some light on this please?

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2y3lhgwf79ymtxp/saves for Extraplanitary Launchpads.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xaz05swl5zlqa2/saves for Extraplanitary Launchpads.1.zero prod 0 41b EL.rar?dl=0

Craft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2q0k2w91e9cv68/saves for Extraplanitary Launchpads.1.Icarus IV 0 41b EL.rar?dl=0

I want to clearly understand. I need a 5 Star Engineer in the part that has the UI to make stuff. Then I can have a Pilot to extend the range I can plant my Stakes at. Finally the first 5 Star Engineer will allow me to have none engineers and get them to help with my productivity?

If I had more than one part that has the UI for making stuff, will productivity for each part (that can) be added together to form a larger total productivity?

Or in other words if I have a craft that has multiple parts with the MODULE[ExWorkshop], I can gain a much larger productivity than if I only had one part that has a MODULE[ExWorkshop], presuming that I only have smart kerbals?

Yes, multiple workshops add their contribution to the vessel's productivity. A symbolic way of looking at it is:

• sum(kerbals) -> workshop
  • sum(workshops) -> vessel
  • distrib(vessel) -> "pads"

Also, as implied above, you can have multiple "pads" building at once (at a proportionately lower rate).

I highly recommend checking EL_Manual.pdf in EL's GameData directory, as it has a fair bit of information (though it could do with more).

I am very pleased to report back a success. After ensuring one five start engineer in each of the three places in my craft that hold kerbals, kicking out all the dumb ones, I obtained a Productivity of about 7.5.

What is odd though is that the craft they did assemble spawned deep within the body I was landed on. I will pull the stake and try again but does anyone know why this might happen? I rather like the idea of using stakes. BTW I planted a single stake, I assumed that it would serve as the center origin for the craft being built. Craft was quite small, roughly less than 20 parts. Mainly pathfinder, bit of kis, some el.

Thanks again for the help.

So far I managed to get one sph saved craft to be built at a stake. The pathfinder conestoga?. I tried a mc-1000? with some cc-r2? connector ports inside it but failed. I read the pdf. It is quite a good read. But it does not cover what can be built and where. For instance assemblies. Are they supposed to be built? Do we need to build only entire craft? If it is a base part, like say a pathfinder module, do they need to be a craft that is built in the sph on top say a muncrete block? From a point of coming fresh to this mod, having stuff not get built/or built somewhere in accessible/blown up on completion it would be handy to know if what I am trying to build is something that can/cannot be built. Especially since it does take a while as I have two 400+ part craft right next to the build point. One craft is to be recycled, but I cannot get to that stage as at present I am unable to build with success. This is frustrating because such a lot of time is take to make each attempt. So a plea for a little direct commentary on what can be built at a stake and more importantly what cannot. I am committed to making a base this way. Mun or bust as they say!

@Apaseall: If it's listed in EL's load vessel dialog, it can be built (so VAB, SPH or subassembly). I have even built KIS containers packed with various small parts that I needed (lights, batteries, antennas, drills, stakes, ...).

If you have problems building, my first guess as to the problem is the terrain itself and thus the vessel is spawning partially underground. The solution to this is judicious use of a -Y bounds stake (on slightly higher ground than your origin stake). X and Z bounds stakes can help, too (right click on the stake when EVAed and relatively near).

So, with care (particularly when surveying), there is no craft that EL cannot build (in theory, some mods do cause problems by throwing exceptions during their startup). Despite occasional clamors for vessel size/mass limits, I have refused to put such in EL as I feel the productivity system and EL's mass conservation do more than well enough at making large scale operations challenging. The survey system was initially a solution to another design goal I have yet to realize, but in the process of getting it working, I realized that with adequate control over the survey site (which the stakes do provide), the survey system was an excellent solution to the problem of building on uneven terrain. I even made it so you can use launch clamps on builds (check the title page of EL's manual: that's actually a screen shot of a Mun base with Kerbin in the sky; you can see a clamp in the lower left and one just above the kerbal's head).

[fyi, screen shot converted using Inkscape's Path -> Trace Bitmap]

@taniwhaThanks for the reply.

It is good to know that there is no good reason for something I pick not to be built. All user error it must be :)

Ok maybe it is because I am using only one stake. My belief was that I only needed one stake if I was happy with what ever being made was spawned centered over the stake. I will take a read of the manual again with a view to learning how to use more than one stake.

Once again thanks for your help with this.

I have successfully built a KIS container with connectors inside and a sph craft (base). Yay! I used 2 stakes. Both changed to bound. Both with copy paste names. One as origin the other as -Y.

A couple of observations/suggestions:

1. The stakes fall over, a lot. Now this might be due to me being on the Mun. But every time something is built, a stake falls over. Sometimes the stakes fall over after swapping vessels. This is annoying. I have no idea but I suspect that the stakes need to be attached and not just lying on the ground. Can something be done to keep the stakes in the ground?

2. Having to set both an origin and -Y when trying to build something on the ground is counter intuitive. I thought the origin on the surface was the -Y if Y is the vertical axis. Can this not be overcome? Perhaps set origin as also -Y or build slightly higher off the ground?

3. The last build was a small base. The origin stake fell over. Into the ground. I think it is still making its way towards the center of the Mun as I type. Not handy for picking up again. Can something be done about this?

4. I time warp when building. I set build to start and warp. The alarm clock slows down and stops the warp when the build nears and finishes 100%. Now at this point physics starts to be eased in. Before that has finished, the button to finalize the build is there. I am not sure but I bet things go real wrong if I press finalize before physics has settled. Can the finalize button remain unavailable until physics has settled? This may seem trivial but when you have say 800+ parts going through physics easing, it takes a while, factor in also maybe low frame rate and stopping mouse clicking is hard.

Due to the issue with stakes falling over I am seriously considering jumping straight to some sort of landing pad or similar. Just to have somewhere stable to build bits. Parts for pathfind bases that are inflatable etc. I don't know if this is the intention, to skip the stakes but I don't feel good about rushing into a pad when I don't want to build vehicles.

These are comments, made as feedback. I wish for the mod to be easier/friendlier to use. I rather like the concept and I want it to improve.

36 minutes ago, Apaseall said:

I have successfully built a KIS container with connectors inside and a sph craft (base). Yay! I used 2 stakes. Both changed to bound. Both with copy paste names. One as origin the other as -Y.

A couple of observations/suggestions:

1. The stakes fall over, a lot. Now this might be due to me being on the Mun. But every time something is built, a stake falls over. Sometimes the stakes fall over after swapping vessels. This is annoying. I have no idea but I suspect that the stakes need to be attached and not just lying on the ground. Can something be done to keep the stakes in the ground?

2. Having to set both an origin and -Y when trying to build something on the ground is counter intuitive. I thought the origin on the surface was the -Y if Y is the vertical axis. Can this not be overcome? Perhaps set origin as also -Y or build slightly higher off the ground?

3. The last build was a small base. The origin stake fell over. Into the ground. I think it is still making its way towards the center of the Mun as I type. Not handy for picking up again. Can something be done about this?

4. I time warp when building. I set build to start and warp. The alarm clock slows down and stops the warp when the build nears and finishes 100%. Now at this point physics starts to be eased in. Before that has finished, the button to finalize the build is there. I am not sure but I bet things go real wrong if I press finalize before physics has settled. Can the finalize button remain unavailable until physics has settled? This may seem trivial but when you have say 800+ parts going through physics easing, it takes a while, factor in also maybe low frame rate and stopping mouse clicking is hard.

Due to the issue with stakes falling over I am seriously considering jumping straight to some sort of landing pad or similar. Just to have somewhere stable to build bits. Parts for pathfind bases that are inflatable etc. I don't know if this is the intention, to skip the stakes but I don't feel good about rushing into a pad when I don't want to build vehicles.

These are comments, made as feedback. I wish for the mod to be easier/friendlier to use. I rather like the concept and I want it to improve.

Since you have KIS containers, I'm assuming you can get the screwdriver and such. You need to surface attach them to the ground with your tool equipped.

I thought that is what the mallet was for? Plus they do seem to be attached. I get the KIS/KAS sounds for attachment. They remain attached, until erm they don't. What I don't mean is that they fall over for no good reason. They do fall over after spawn/build.

Yes I do make sure that my mallet is equipped and not say drill thing or wrench.

Edited by Apaseall

2 hours ago, Apaseall said:

I thought that is what the mallet was for? Plus they do seem to be attached. I get the KIS/KAS sounds for attachment. They remain attached, until erm they don't. What I don't mean is that they fall over for no good reason. They do fall over after spawn/build.

Yes I do make sure that my mallet is equipped and not say drill thing or wrench.

That's right, the mallet. Hmm. I've noticed my origin stake get knocked over on the spawning of the vehicle, but it usually stays put for me unless I run over it with something.