Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

maGixW7l.png

This is my current WIP, or one of them at least :D

It's a K Drive equipped ship. After hours of fiddling I've managed to make it very reliable (no broken landing legs on the K Drive and consistently hitting a little under 2g's).

Edited by Narcosis

http://i.imgur.com/maGixW7l.png

This is my current WIP, or one of them at least :D

It's a K Drive equipped ship. After hours of fiddling I've managed to make it very reliable (no broken landing legs on the K Drive and consistently hitting a little under 2g's).

Uuuhhh. Reference! I love that series, shows how good Einsteinian sci-fi can be.

I love that series, shows how good Einsteinian sci-fi can be.

Yeah, I know. Not read them in years. I was thinking of branding my K Drive as a Konjoiner drive and having one mounted either side of the lighthugger, but I reckon it'd cause stability issues and wouldn't actually increase the force applied. I'm still getting a bit of unwanted torque as it is, and it'd probably take me an hour of tinkering just to fix that :rolleyes:

Edited by Narcosis

Currently I am designing my first stock-craft for the ARM update.

It is intended as a heavy asteroid tug even for the large class E asteroids with adjustable thrust.

As far as I have seen, moving asteroids will be quite difficult because docking to an asteroid in a way that puts the center of mass on the same line as the center of thrust will be quite difficult.

So I focus with this ship to create an adjustable thrusterring, that is quite far away from the CoM. Actiongroups 1-6 toggle the engine groups so that an adjustment of the center of thrust is possible. Minor adjustments must be done by hand by tweaking the engine-thrust. The large amount of SAS modules should take care of minor deviations.

It's mass in orbit is nearly 240 ton, has a maximal TWR range of 0.62-1.35 (LV-N only) and has about 6000 m/s dV left. This should be enough for some serious asteroid pushing. RCS dV for docking is around 200 m/s.

Here are the first pictures.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Only the asteroid-clamp is missing :)

Hm. just got the idea that I could change the symmetry from 6 to 8 for more control.

Dabbling a bit in microwave power. This is the first microwave antimatter power station heading off to Jool. 5 more will follow.

QYSSDh2.png

Should provide for a good amount of power with that 3.75m antimatter reactor and electric generator. The only maintenance will consist of occasionally refuelling a bit of UF4.

240GW+ of power :confused:

Solar stations around the sun will follow to better cover the inner planets.

How soon can we expect the new asteroids to come around?

It's practically finished. They're just tracking down bugs and polishing it because if they don't, they'll have people whining about it on the forums wor week until they release another patch.

Edited by astropapi1

Testing some hardware for SLS:

ICPS:

dSrmXsp.png

Testing Orion and ICPS on top of a S-IB

gWmEt4n.png

Fairing test:

Tq4TRub.png

In orbit:

7sZQYMl.png

I think I might have to make the service module a bit wider.

sWdBt4B.png

Orion:

q8EyaAl.png

Hmm... it seems that Orion has a smaller engine bell than this.

A quick prototype (the top part is a placeholder for SLS tanks) of a four RL-10 upper stage:

pnUfdJY.png

More to come.

Edited by Giggleplex777

I maked these.

http://i.imgur.com/AnvYpUy.png

http://i.imgur.com/shj60bv.png

http://i.imgur.com/HO3o0xZ.png

This one still isn't space worthy because of how heavy it is(and the over-abundance of docking ports)

http://i.imgur.com/mMahzWF.png

http://i.imgur.com/AViFzlt.png

http://i.imgur.com/U2rIIB1.png

I also decided it was high about time I made something a bit more heavy duty for on land.

How do you even launch those? I have a heavy cruiser of my own, but I simply cannot get it into orbit.

Testing some hardware for SLS:

You're a flippin' genius... :sticktongue: A Giggleplex designed SLS, yay!

I've tried SLS numerous times and could never get it. I tried making an ICPS/DCSS with a Skipper but it didn't look all that great, and your struts techniques are fabulous! :)

Hmmm, why does it have inline decouplers on the side boosters?

old problem with the fuelflow. the boosters are angled and some pixels of the tailend and fusellage are touching/clipping into the corestage (NO PARTCLIPPING ACTIVATED) sometimes, the corestage sucked fuel from the boosters and sometimes it worked perfectly. the decouplers ensures no accidently fuelflow from the boosters to the corestage. i knwo it's weird, i just had to increase teh distance between booster and core a bit more BUT that would look ugly.

old problem with the fuelflow. the boosters are angled and some pixels of the tailend and fusellage are touching/clipping into the corestage (NO PARTCLIPPING ACTIVATED) sometimes, the corestage sucked fuel from the boosters and sometimes it worked perfectly. the decouplers ensures no accidently fuelflow from the boosters to the corestage. i knwo it's weird, i just had to increase teh distance between booster and core a bit more BUT that would look ugly.

You can clip a small decoupler in between the two tanks for the same effect.

Guest Space Cowboy

Yes another "Spaceplane": it's what I like to do. This one includes "improved hypercharged radial jet engines", a sub assembly that is not that big a deal but it works for me. These assemblies have even more intakes than my previous spaceplane. The goals: (many are relative to the vehicle I recently released) reduced part count (fluid framerates), engines from 4 to 2, tight and clean design (nothing "strapped-on"), better controllability in all flight phases, more excess fuel avaiable upon reaching orbit. and fun! It can transport a small contingent of 7 Kerbals too.

I am down to incrementally adding rocket fuel tanks.

screenshot1087_zps0ce0a101.png

i hate squad ... i was just going to save the new launchcomplex for my Soyuz-1 and then: GAMECRASH FOR UPDATE .... RAWR! >_<

on the other hand .... have to test every of myrockets for stability now ... seems i can reduce partcount by removing soem struts now YAY !