[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

CatastrophicFailure said:
Hmm, one piece body. No more LES I guess :(

I've made a very simple working one with the KSPX escape tower.

EDIT: I, uh, added a parachute to the nosecone, and the shuttle re-entered backwards. And glided backwards. And landed safely. Engines first, cockpit last.

Starwaster said:

This is hardly a new problem either. The same thing happened over 20 years before when Apollo 1 astronauts complained about flammable space suits, hard to open hatches and other fire hazards that they asked to be fixed and never were, until after the fact of their deaths.

Well, I guess the very small consolation is that it happened on a 3-person spacecraft, then they added measures to fix it. It would have been worse on the shuttle. At least NASA DID change the spacesuits etc. after the Apollo 1 accident. It would have been 1000 times worse if they hadn't, and more people had died...

Edited by sumghai
Removed Steam profile link at user request - see https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/modcp/reports/10007/

I believe the sad issue is that NASA fell to the same disregard for safety that some other agency's and/or corporations have fallen to. In that it takes people losing lives to make changes, which is sad.

NASA specifically stated that the failure of Columbia was due to managerial style and structure. They are a government agency, that alone screams gross incompetence, and on top of it they are in charge of humans' lives. They blamed their culture on the need to secure funding at all costs; which makes no sense because the surest way to lose funding is systematic preventable failures resulting in the loss of life. Regardless, the entire design of the space shuttle is ludicrous. Everyone knew it, but the cool factor won out and they decided to risk the hell out of people's lives with no abort options during the first two minutes of launch. It's just a really unpractical space vehicle that could have only come into existence via a government program.

NASA specifically stated that the failure of Columbia was due to managerial style and structure. They are a government agency, that alone screams gross incompetence, and on top of it they are in charge of humans' lives. They blamed their culture on the need to secure funding at all costs; which makes no sense because the surest way to lose funding is systematic preventable failures resulting in the loss of life. Regardless, the entire design of the space shuttle is ludicrous. Everyone knew it, but the cool factor won out and they decided to risk the hell out of people's lives with no abort options during the first two minutes of launch. It's just a really unpractical space vehicle that could have only come into existence via a government program.

Beat me to my point. Apollo had fatal flaws, but the overall design was sound (that's why we're returning to it). The shuttles overall design was doomed from the beginning. Challenger & Columbia were not anomalies, they were inevitabilities.

BUT.....

Perhaps we really should take this discussion to another thread instead of clogging up helldiver's thread with more off topic banter.

Beat me to my point. Apollo had fatal flaws, but the overall design was sound (that's why we're returning to it). The shuttles overall design was doomed from the beginning. Challenger & Columbia were not anomalies, they were inevitabilities.

BUT.....

Perhaps we really should take this discussion to another thread instead of clogging up helldiver's thread with more off topic banter.

Yes please, I don't want to hear you two rant and rave about nasa's ineptitude or design flaws, I'd rather hear about the KSO super.

Actually, after doing a quick google images search I think they are the in the right spot compared to the actually space shuttle. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/Space_Shuttle_Atlantis_landing_at_KSC_following_STS-122.jpg/640px-Space_Shuttle_Atlantis_landing_at_KSC_following_STS-122.jpg

It's like that to prevent tailstrikes.

Yes please, I don't want to hear you two rant and rave about nasa's ineptitude or design flaws, I'd rather hear about the KSO super.

My bad! I can't wait for the Super 25!

Hey guys, first off I wanted to say a big THANK you to helldiver and all those who worked on the KSO, its possibly the most fun mod to hit KSP in a long, long time.

Anyway, Ive been playing about with this mod, building my own KSS (I know, original, right? :) ) and a thought struck me as I was doing so. See, I tend to RP my big builds, putting a story behind them even if its in my own head. It makes it more fun for me... Instead of just build, blast, dock, repeat, theres a sense that, in my own head at least, Im completing a mission against difficult odds.

I do this with KSP a lot, but with this mod, for some reason, it just seems to be more fun.

Anyway, I was going over the stages for my KSS with the RP stuff I'd made up along the way and I thought, wouldnt this be a better 'story' mode than the campaign mode that Squad has built and is apparently planning to expand with contracts? Like, instead of picking and choosing generic missions like get a satellite into orbit, we have a long term project type campaign with each level being a stage along the way. In my case, with the KSO, it would be level one: test fly and land the KSO without loss of vehicle or crew, level two, deliver a payload to orbit with the KSO etc etc, but rather than a simple, do this, get reward, unlock bigger rockets, move on type deal, there could be complexities of a story with twists and setbacks that happen during or even between missions - these could be abstract, such as an engine malfunctions mid flight forcing you to adjust your flight profile or even abort to save your crew or even based on real world events, such as the Apollo 1 fire, which could lead, in game to the masses of kerbin cry out for safer rockets and until they get them, you can only do unmanned stuff or you could have to compete with an invisible enemy (or rival) to get a job done cheaper, like the bidding war that was run to see who would service the ISS after the shuttle retired.

Basically, what Im driving at would be similar to standard career mode as it is now, you start out small and limited, and you build on it - but rather than it all being the story you create, there would be an actual in game story to drive it along. There could even be added plot elements like government pressure to get things done in a certain way or in a certain time or under a certain budget (or all three) or your program is shut down, programs being scrapped mid way through so you have to scramble to repurpose your designs or lose funding. There could be industrial espionage between competing space programs where you have spies trying to steal competitors designs for better parts and engines while they try to do the same to you, you could have deadlines put in jeopardy by contractors failing to deliver that mega efficient engine in time for the much hyped mission to duna that youve committed publicly to, forcing you to come up with a way to work around the problem with a restricted set of parts.

I was watching helldivers stream while he was developing the Super 25 and he mentioned a similar thought to this, he was referring to you, the player, being NASA (or the kerbal equivalent) competing against either private companies or a rival nation ala the space race and how this would drive the enjoyment by giving you a goal to strive for. I know that Squad say the basis of KSP is to be unbound and to do whatever you want, which is a good thing and, of course, just as they do in the likes of Tropico, the sandbox would always be there for you to do your own thing and just go nuts with whatever you want, but the career mode, in my opinion, should not just be limited to restricting parts till you unlock better ones - in many ways the current career mode plays like a tutorial, helping you to learn the game as you go rather than being overwhelmed by the complexity at the start - which is fine, but I want more.

Anyone agree?

So almost like adding a bit of strategy game to KSP, or more of a role-play style? I think the fun of the KSO is that you actually have to build stuff to fit in the bay, rather than just sticking it on a booster and *Bam!* your in orbit. I would like to actually have a bit more economy things in career mode, and government, etc. I would recommend you make a new thread somewhere so that we don't clog up this thread with ideas that aren't related to the KSO. Definitely a good idea though.

Yeah, not a bad idea for a new thread. that post kinda got away from me, started out just saying thanks for a great mod and.... well that escalated quickly

Or you could do what Westi does. RP and post videos here of your playthrough with commentary here and there. Westi likes to showcase the KSO's capabilities and his videos are great fun to watch of the KSO in action.

Yeah, not a bad idea for a new thread. that post kinda got away from me, started out just saying thanks for a great mod and.... well that escalated quickly

Well, we are talking about a game where you build rockets. If you don't escalate quickly you're gonna have a bad time. ^_^

I know it's not mainly about the shuttle, but i wonder if the RCS arms on the Station service Tug could be made as separate parts...

i've been looking all over for these, there used to be a mod in... 0.19 that had very similar things and it's a godsend for rotating large parts.

I know it's not mainly about the shuttle, but i wonder if the RCS arms on the Station service Tug could be made as separate parts...

i've been looking all over for these, there used to be a mod in... 0.19 that had very similar things and it's a godsend for rotating large parts.

I dont know how the SST was built, but if it was in any way similar to how the Super 25 was built... that is going to be unlikely to happen, and the RCS booms are built into the model of the SST.

I pretty sure Avalon is right they are but as part of the SST, but if you use Infernal Robotics you can make your own.

I dont know how the SST was built, but if it was in any way similar to how the Super 25 was built... that is going to be unlikely to happen, and the RCS booms are built into the model of the SST.

He knows they are built into it. that's why he's asking if they can be made as separate parts, to which the answer is 'yes, they can be made as separate parts'. And no, it's unlikely that they will.

Fantastic pack! First mod downloaded and have created multiple orbiters! RIP Jebediah, Dunbar, and Bobson Kerman. Died during the reentry phase when ferram decided to flip the shuttle.

Update

Q1d7W8E.jpg

isXLjCG.jpg

To Do

-Nosecone Flight control systems texture details.

-Any additional art support that may come up.

-All Unity/KSP integration (Nazari's end). First flights have already begun which returned some issues that have been solved but required some art assets.

-Interior

-Lift vehicle (possibly Energia inspired)

Optional

-If time permits, I will include the Airstair truck so your Kerbals can disembark from the KSO EWBCL

-KSO EWBCL does not have an airstair

Update

http://i.imgur.com/Q1d7W8E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/isXLjCG.jpg

To Do

-Nosecone Flight control systems texture details.

-Any additional art support that may come up.

-All Unity/KSP integration (Nazari's end). First flights have already begun which returned some issues that have been solved but required some art assets.

-Interior

-Lift vehicle (possibly Energia inspired)

Optional

-If time permits, I will include the Airstair truck so your Kerbals can disembark from the KSO EWBCL

-KSO EWBCL does not have an airstair

yea do the lift launcher like the Energia also question would the shuttle launching systems boosters and external tanks double as seperet rockets in the future?