The developer of flappy bird is using a dirty marketing trick.

Kinglet

So, the developer of flappy bird said he is taking flappy bird off the App Store. We'll, he just did. Now he made a Reskin called "Splashy fish" immediately after flappy bird is removed. It is obvious the developer is using this trick to keep up the hype for flappy bird.

Let me know what you think!

He's successful when people bother to give him attention and keep talking about his stuff, people seem to be getting worked up over nothing.

And he increased the attention by making a drama that he will remove flappy bird and then making a Reskin.

I don't know the specifics but I'm pretty sure his brother didn't die; a quick Google search seemed to disprove that. Also, I went to Splashy Fish on the iTunes page and it says it is by Massimo Guareschi. The creator of Flappy Bird is Dong Nguyen.

I don't get the big deal, I see on sites saying thing like "The game has received criticism for being too simple and too difficult." It's a game for a phone lol. :)

I'm not mad at anyone here, I just think it's silly how big of a deal people make of the game :)

I play the game myself :P

And he increased the attention by making a drama that he will remove flappy bird and then making a Reskin.

Well, it worked. It got you to start a thread here. If you don't like the drama/attention it's getting, don't be part of the problem.

What the heck is "flappy bird", anyway?

Because it's a stupid game. Really. Sometimes the most addicting gameplay (for the general population) is the simplest gameplay, one that provides you with a reward (highscores)

Put that in a phone with zero entry barrier and...

The entire reason he deleted it was because he was getting attention. He's a guy that slapped together a few stock assets to make for practice, and he decided to stick it on the play store to see if he could at least let get a bit of return on the time he spent. Suddenly half of the internet starts attacking him, and he gets multiple death threats, so he decides to get rid of the whole thing as best he can. There's no 'strategy' here, just a fairly typical guy getting a fairly typical '15 minutes of fame' episode. As for the reskin, there are literally hundreds of reskins of this game. If you don't believe that, just put 'flappy' into the google play store and start counting.

The entire reason he deleted it was because he was getting attention. He's a guy that slapped together a few stock assets to make for practice, and he decided to stick it on the play store to see if he could at least let get a bit of return on the time he spent. Suddenly half of the internet starts attacking him, and he gets multiple death threats, so he decides to get rid of the whole thing as best he can. There's no 'strategy' here, just a fairly typical guy getting a fairly typical '15 minutes of fame' episode. As for the reskin, there are literally hundreds of reskins of this game. If you don't believe that, just put 'flappy' into the google play store and start counting.

I dread to think what would happen if these people ever encountered something hard, I played flappy bird it's not a hard game, the trick is timing nothing more.

So, the developer of flappy bird said he is taking flappy bird off the App Store. We'll, he just did. Now he made a Reskin called "Splashy fish" immediately after flappy bird is removed. It is obvious the developer is using this trick to keep up the hype for flappy bird.

Let me know what you think!

The author of Flappy Bird did not make Splashy Fish. There are countless spinoffs of Flappy Bird, none of which is by Nguyen.

Nguyen was threatened and hated the fame. That's it.

I still have flappy bird, high score of 15. I feel like a god now. :P

Me too. :)

BTW I'm so tired of those people who say the game is easy. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

The author of Flappy Bird did not make Splashy Fish.

This, there have been a ton of Flappy Bird clones pop up due to all the media hype. Do not install any of them. Some have been found to contain malware that sends texts to premium rate numbers.

Source.

i dont much like how app stores in general encourage horrible development practices.

ive always said that apps were half assed applications. you just cant create a well designed piece of code on a shoestring budget. you see things of the caliber of high school level computer science classes being sold for $3 a pop. its not a game im going to play, ever.

I can make a clone of Flappy Bird in two days, no doubt about it.

Should I make a iOS game called "Flappy Kerbal"?

Anyways, Dong isn't making anything soon.

He took it off because of death threats that he get from very angry fans, and the negative publicity he was receiving. It's more of him trying to save his reputation and quote possibly, his life.

i dont much like how app stores in general encourage horrible development practices.

ive always said that apps were half assed applications. you just cant create a well designed piece of code on a shoestring budget. you see things of the caliber of high school level computer science classes being sold for $3 a pop. its not a game im going to play, ever.

Funny you said that, because our teacher is using it as an example of a simple game, and remaking in Dr. Racket.

I find it strange that people pay for mobile games I think they are all terrible. I must just be spoilt with consoles and desktop pc my whole life

its actually somewhat reminiscent of the 8 bit era. there were a lot of horrible nintendo games that cost a lot more than $3 a pop (google avgn).

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.