No more ocean lag?!

stupid_chris

The reduced/eliminated terrain and water lag was the very first thing I noticed last night on my first "mission" - put a capsule on the pad, do a crew report, EVA report, take Pad surface sample = Science!â„¢ and then go build a real rocket. :) I could easily pan around the launch pad, zoom in and out, and there was zero lag. When I actually launched a rocket a few minutes later, it stayed that smooth pretty much all the way into LKO. Kudos to the dev team!

Based on Scott Manley's videos, this issue might have turned much worse with ARM experimentals, bringing him to single digit FPS values. Maybe that was why the patch was postponed? If yes then it was definitely worth it!

Since Mu didn't touch PQS at all and it's not in the changelog, it appears that it is the transition from unity 4.2.2 to 4.3. So unless they made the transition halfway through... :P

What was "ocean lag"?

Never experienced that one, but yeah it does seem like the patch speeded things up a bit for me. And it didn't even need to. mwuahahahaha!

Ever since the spaceplane update (0.15) the ocean has killed framerates***, the only way to fix it was opening the config and changing the settings... the side effect of messing with the water config settings would be inaccurate collision with the water so you would float a few meters above it.

On my machine:

***Before: 99% GPU Usage / 40 FPS

***Fixed: 60% GPU Usage / 60 FPS (locked at 60)

What was "ocean lag"?

Never experienced that one, but yeah it does seem like the patch speeded things up a bit for me. And it didn't even need to. mwuahahahaha!

Ocean lag attacks when you launch ships with 1.000 parts or more, it reduces your framerate exponentially. I´m accostumed to 2 / 3 frames per second launchs, it takes 30 minutes in real time to reach orbit in most cases.

This is something we can't really take full credit for. The Unity 4.3 update was a MASSIVE performance boost for us as well, not just in builds, the editor itself is running significantly faster also.

So let me add my own thanks to the Unity team, for a crackin' update! Hats off to you sirs!

On our end, the one thing I think helps improve performance is the new part joints, and even the new parts, not necessarily because they are more optimized themselves, but because with much less need to spam hundreds of struts, and heavier parts that can do the job of several smaller ones, your ships are more "optimized" as well, at a design level.

Anyhow, I'm very glad to hear everyone is enjoying a nice performance boost. Most times these things tend to affect only a subset of cases, but on this update, everyone seems to be reporting nicely improved performance, so very happy to see that!

Cheers

This is something we can't really take full credit for. The Unity 4.3 update was a MASSIVE performance boost for us as well, not just in builds, the editor itself is running significantly faster also.

So let me add my own thanks to the Unity team, for a crackin' update! Hats off to you sirs!

On our end, the one thing I think helps improve performance is the new part joints, and even the new parts, not necessarily because they are more optimized themselves, but because with much less need to spam hundreds of struts, and heavier parts that can do the job of several smaller ones, your ships are more "optimized" as well, at a design level.

Anyhow, I'm very glad to hear everyone is enjoying a nice performance boost. Most times these things tend to affect only a subset of cases, but on this update, everyone seems to be reporting nicely improved performance, so very happy to see that!

Cheers

It's cool stuff either way, keep up the good work with updating unity plus your own fixes as well!

The thought of Whackjob with new engines almost makes me pee my pants with fear.

ZF-

Even better: The machine I used to fly on I killed. I have a new machine being built which should be complete in the next few days. And it's got a higher clock speed. So... moar part count! :)

For every strut and truss you don't use, I will use twelve. :cool:

zxg0BJl.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.