[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

7 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Didn't know that. In the past it used solid fuel. It's been a while since I used this mod.
Can't you limit the thrust to zero? :wink:

Yeah, I think that's how it should be. The LES will deploy but there will be no thrust. 

On the other hand, if the command module separates, then....

1 minute ago, Delta_8930 said:

Yeah, I think that's how it should be. The LES will deploy but there will be no thrust. 

On the other hand, if the command module separates, then....

I'll just use the Modular Rocket Systems to have a separate LES tower 

On 2/12/2016 at 4:21 PM, Delta_8930 said:

Ok, here is the first version of the patch:

Installation instructions:

1. Create a new CFG file in your 'GameData' folder and name it anything you wish.

2. Copy all of the code below to the CFG file.

3. Run KSP.

Thank you for this and the quick response. I may have found an issue with this though. When I use the slider to rescale I am unable to make it any smaller than the stock 3.75. In fact when I click the downsize arrow it makes it bigger and says 1.25. I would modify this CFG file myself, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I would like to see from 2.5m up to atleast 5m. 

34 minutes ago, Astronomicalcat said:

Thank you for this and the quick response. I may have found an issue with this though. When I use the slider to rescale I am unable to make it any smaller than the stock 3.75. In fact when I click the downsize arrow it makes it bigger and says 1.25. I would modify this CFG file myself, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I would like to see from 2.5m up to atleast 5m. 

Hmm. I've made the cfg so that it goes from 1.25 up to 7.5 m. I'll take a quick look at that tomorrow (I am not near my PC right now)

15 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

Hmm. I've made the cfg so that it goes from 1.25 up to 7.5 m. I'll take a quick look at that tomorrow (I am not near my PC right now)

1.25-7m would be perfect, since I just got the spaceY heavy lifter mod. Trying to help out as much as I can. The only parts I was able to test were the Taurus itself, and the nuclear engine. Both of them I was able to make bigger but not smaller. I don't think the tweakscale bar was accurately reflecting the size either. If I took the bar the whole way to 7 the thing was huge. I'm sure you will get to it as soon as you can, so I'll keep checking back for an update. Thanks again Delta_8930! 

On 2/14/2016 at 6:20 AM, Whovian41110 said:

Is there any way to disable the LES on the Taurus?  I nearly had a very unfortunate accident with a Duna ship

For my personal games I don't mind using quick .cfg edits, (I haven't quite figured out how to write non-destructive MM files well). I have a solution that works, but it is a pretty hacky solution, use it at your own risk, back up your files, and all that. I used to simply delete everything under the engine section of the taurus's part.cfg file. While this worked, the LES engines on the Taurus model would be stuck in the open position. I found a soltion to this was to add this animate generic module to the taurus .cfg  which added the option to toggle whether the LES thrusters were in the open or closed position by the right click menu.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
        animationName = LESDeploy
        allowManualControl = no
    }

\

On 2/15/2016 at 9:37 AM, Delta_8930 said:

So I seemed to have fixed the problem. I just changed all the default sizes to 3.75. Hopefully that helps you out. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing so if this is wrong let me know haha.

SCALETYPE
{
	name = TaurusHCV_Probe
	freeScale = true
	scaleFactors = 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5, 7.5
	scaleNames = 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m, 5m, 7.5m
	defaultScale = 3.75
}

@PART[TaurusHCV]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[stackSeparatorHuge]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[TaurusScienceBay]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[TaurusHitchhiker]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[Size3SASBatt]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[XLOreTank]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[taurusNuclearEngine]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[TaurusHeatshield]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[Size3TinyTank]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

@PART[TaurusOrbitalEngine]
{
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = TaurusHCV_Probe
		defaultScale = 3.75
	}
}

On 2/17/2016 at 5:42 PM, bsquiklehausen said:

Kerbal Stuff will be missed sorely, but we have a new download link at Spacedock!

Do you know when you might be updating your CKAN repo/manifest?  The source links are still pointing to KerbalStuff:

$ ckan install RandSCapsuledyne
About to install...

* Taurus HCV - 3.75 m Stock-ish Crew Pod 1:1.5.3
 * BahamutoD Animation Modules v0.6.2

Continue? [Y/n] Y

Downloading "https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/13/Taurus HCV - 3.75 m Stock-ish Crew Pod/download/1.5.3" (libcurl)
Downloading "https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/321/Adjustable Landing Gear/download/v1.2.0" (libcurl)
0 kbps - downloading - 0 MiB left - 100%           
Installing mod "RandSCapsuledyne 1:1.5.3"
Unhandled Exception:
CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install RandSCapsuledyne 1:1.5.3, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted

SPB-HUGE-3 main collider is still non-convex, while KSP 1.0.5 assumes all colliders are convex. This results in wall-mounted eqipment in cargo bay hanging in mid-air.

Recommendation: split that non-convex collider into 3 convex colliders (box-like central and two wider on the sides) - that will solve the problem.

Edited by Dr. Jet

• 4 weeks later...

i just want to say one thing: i love this mod!

i just wish i could use the LES engines to do a propulsive landing, like the SpaceX Dragon v2.

could you do that for me please?

On March 16, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Plecy75 said:

i just wish i could use the LES engines to do a propulsive landing, like the SpaceX Dragon v2.

Totally possible with a little tweaking. To get the 200-300m/s atmospheric dv needed for a purely propulsive capsule landing, I had to improve the Isp substantially (using the Thud as a template) and bump up the fuel storage. The heat shield adds a substantial amount of weight, so I added a decoupler to it.

I just hope you're comfortable making suicide burns, as there's not much margin for error...

Spoiler

@PART[TaurusHCV]
{
  @MODULE[ModuleEngines]{
    @throttleLocked = False
    !atmosphereCurve{}
    atmosphereCurve
  	{
      key = 0 305
      key = 1 275
      key = 9 0.001
  	}
  }
  @RESOURCE[MonoPropellant]{
    @amount = 250
    @maxAmount = 250
  }
}

@PART[TaurusHeatshield]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleDecouple
		ejectionForce = 100
		explosiveNodeID = top
	}
}

I incorporated these changes into some miscellaneous tweaks I have here - there are a few Taurus parts that are a little too heavy compared to stock, and the Quadroodle's Isp is somewhat too good IMO.

On 9/22/2015 at 4:19 PM, Boots said:

I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, but on return from EVA I cannot grab [f] or board [g] the Taurus capsule when near the hatch.

I don't even get the contextual menu/prompt to press said buttons.

I'm getting the same thing, but not if I EVA from the craft with the parts.  EVAing from a nearby craft (to transfer crew) is causing this for me.  And the only crew parts on my interplanetary ship were from this mod, so I can't tell if it's a KSP bug or a mod bug.

On 3/29/2016 at 6:44 AM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I'm getting the same thing, but not if I EVA from the craft with the parts.  EVAing from a nearby craft (to transfer crew) is causing this for me.  And the only crew parts on my interplanetary ship were from this mod, so I can't tell if it's a KSP bug or a mod bug.

Actually, seems like a broken save or something with the game itself.  Ignore me.

Hi all, I Have read already some updates for 1.1 are going on with this mod but im no coder - does anyone have this mod jigged to work in 1.1 64bit? Just the crew module would be great as I need a 7 seater for my space station! lol, would love to see a full update ASAP :D Thanks for all your time modders

2 hours ago, combat squirrel said:

Hi all, I Have read already some updates for 1.1 are going on with this mod but im no coder - does anyone have this mod jigged to work in 1.1 64bit? Just the crew module would be great as I need a 7 seater for my space station! lol, would love to see a full update ASAP :D Thanks for all your time modders

I haven't checked these parts, but only the science module would be affected as far as I know.  Wheels, legs, hollow parts and custom modules need changing for 1.1.  And the science module's mini cargo spaces are (AFAIK) the only things that would qualify.

8 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I haven't checked these parts, but only the science module would be affected as far as I know.  Wheels, legs, hollow parts and custom modules need changing for 1.1.  And the science module's mini cargo spaces are (AFAIK) the only things that would qualify.

This was actually present in the 1.05 version of this mod, but I have found that the heat-shield from this mod burns through its ablator way too quickly, and this causes the Taurus to explode on re-entry.

I found the solotion was to edit the line in the .cfg for the heatshield, under the ModuleAblator that read 

lossConst = 1

and to change it to read this

lossConst = .1

which is the same value that this the stock 3.75m heatshield has for this. This solves the exploding on re-entry problems rather nicely.

It works in my 1.1 pre. When I installed it I skipped the bahasp directory, that means somethying is not gonna work but the capsule and the lab shows on game, the ivas work and shows when clicking the option.

16 minutes ago, bsquiklehausen said:

The launch escape functions are not working in 1.1 at the moment - we are waiting on Baha to update his plugin. I will check out the heat shield and some of the suggested balance changes as well.

Can you watch for fix hatch and ladders colliders ? because now they create some phantom forces when kerbal is on the ladder , is possible to fix them by moving colliders center at 25-30 cm from parts colliders.

Thanks for this great mod

Regards Luca

Edited by Badsector

• 2 weeks later...