[0.23.5] MoveKSC - Change the location of KSC on Kerbin (latitude, longitude..)

voneiden

Very interesting idea for a mod! I'm downloading this right now to check it out!

this looks totally cool, and just gave me a crazy idea. how hard would it be to make this plugin allow you to place the KSC anywhere? Eve would make a good KSP: Challenge Mode

I would like to second this idea! It would be really useful for me to have a KSC on Duna or one of Jool's moons so that I can test out my landers and other vehicles. (I am aware that you can do this with Hyperedit, however I was unable to get it to work, even after PMing its creator)

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know where you can learn to use KerbTown to add another KSC to Kerbin? It's always seemed too complicated for me.

I would say, yes the process is a bit complex until you know how to use it.

1. You should download some launch pad mod so that we have something to place in the world.
2. Pick a rocket and take it to the launch pad (the actual purpose is to put you into flight so you can pick an orbiting satellite as well).
3. Press RCtrl+K to bring up the KerbTown GUI.
4. Add an instance of launch pad you downloaded and adjust its Lat/Lon/ASL, mark it as launch pad and give it a name.
5. Save session and then restart your game.
6. Get to VAB/SPH and you should be able to pick your new pad in the list.
7. Check if the launch pad is place at proper altitude, adjust it (by pressing RCtrl+K and selecting the existing instance) if needed. If unlucky, your rocket might be spawned underground or your pad is floating in mid-air, tune the ASL then.

Note that you can save some time by creating multiple instances and save them all in the first run of the game. After that, in the second boot of the game, you fine tune all of them one by one.

Edited by HoneyFox

Same, I'd like to know how to put one on laythe

The key is that you should have your active vessel orbiting/landed at Laythe first.

So if you haven't already had something over there, a simple way is to use HyperEdit to move any dummy vessel to Laythe first.

After that, switch to that vessel and use KerbTown GUI to create instance of launch pad (or whatever you want).

This mod is interesting. It will be even better if KSC is actually cloned instead of moved around. That way, at least all Kerbin land-based launch sites can utilize that. For launch sites on other planets/the sea, still better to use KerbTown IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had issues with .. a bugged world when you resume an existing flight? I haven't had time to enjoy actually playing with this mod and I just realized as I attempted to resume a flight that half of the planet was missing. Assuming it's related to this mod I released, KerbTown might do the job better considering it's now updated.

Slightly offtopic, Arrowhead just released a new version of the KSPTOT and I managed to run a first multiplayer test with my mission control plugin with a friend yesterday. KSPTOT is really neat and my first impression was that it would make my mission control project completely obsolete, but I was delighted to find that they actually seem to support each other. KSPTOT is excellent for planning the route, while my MC seems to be better suited for monitoring and guiding the active flight, at least for now.

Has anyone had issues with .. a bugged world when you resume an existing flight? I haven't had time to enjoy actually playing with this mod and I just realized as I attempted to resume a flight that half of the planet was missing. Assuming it's related to this mod I released, KerbTown might do the job better considering it's now updated.

Slightly offtopic, Arrowhead just released a new version of the KSPTOT and I managed to run a first multiplayer test with my mission control plugin with a friend yesterday. KSPTOT is really neat and my first impression was that it would make my mission control project completely obsolete, but I was delighted to find that they actually seem to support each other. KSPTOT is excellent for planning the route, while my MC seems to be better suited for monitoring and guiding the active flight, at least for now.

I am not having any bugs actually. It has been running pretty well. I use this and KerbTown. I like this because I really like the ability to change the location of the actual KSC without a separate model like KerbTown. :)

Does the Altitude setting actually do anything? More often than not, it seems that raising everything up five meters or so would make a good location perfect, but it doesn't seem to work.

Apparently according to other users it doesn't really seem to change anything. I uploaded a new version that adds a bit of config tweakables as suggested by Nathan.. uhh.. already a month ago.. and allows disabling the surface flattening feature. No radical changes here otherwise. Download at the first post.

As a heads up to everyone, I've been testing Arrowheads KSPTOT tool during the past days and it's really neat. We attempted a few multiplayer sessions with a friend combining KSPTOT and KSPMC. It was quite fun to attempt to cooperate to achieve a common goal but unfortunately we missed our destination Minmus because KSPTOT thought it was somewhere where it wasn't. Arrowhead is mighty fast at fixing issues and that among many other things have been solved during the past week or so.

I find it's especially neat for planning approach burns to create trajectories that allow directly landing on certain geographical coordinates, or just optimizing for a capture orbit that allows descent to certain coordinates after one orbital revolution. The possibilities are endless.

KSPMC is still WIP, but is pretty good for general flight following already.

Edit: I figured that the bugged Kerbin/craft issue I've been having is purely dependent on a corrupted the craft in persistent file (parts get all mixed up order). If I fix the vessel manually Kerbin appears OK again. So I doubt it's related to moveksc.

Edited by voneiden

So, are there still issues with moving KSC? And can you see the new location of KSC at the space centre menu? Or does that view default to normal. Because I have a few ideas of some neat locations to launch from if this works like I hope it does.

...can you see the new location of KSC at the space centre menu?

Yep...

BqEkJQq.jpg

If only there was a way to make landed vessels in the vicinity of the space center show in that scene :)

The exterior views from inside the VAB/SPH don't change of course, sadly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.