Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

Oh I just remembered this one from sometime earlier this year.

My first time building an SSTO spaceplane was a STOVL, variable geometry monster with something like 24 engines. Engines for every occasion including a dozen BJE lift jets to shorten the takeoff roll. Even so it lacked the wing area to rotate and takeoff properly, nearly descending into the sea even with all engines at max power. The reason why there were so many engines? I used 0.625m jet engines. 10 for forward thrust, 12 for lift jets.

:D

Ditto for the STOVL requirement adding no small amount of deadweight that could have been used for payload and fuel space. The benefits of the variable geometry wing are neutered by simply constructing larger conventional wings or sci fi wing design with double the wing area.

It took 3 weeks to make it work and in the end it was an expensive and quite useless affair - even the most basic rocket can exceed its puny payload to orbit at 1% of the man-hours spent to make it work long enough to create one flight recording for youtube.

Moral of the story then, is keep things simple and practical.

Of course it was unmanned, it's a moon!

Ba dump PSShhh!

My KSP sin? Being the drummer for 5thHorseman's stand-up comic routine. I gotta get a better gig......

Okay, seriously though. My current game is in Career mode. Ran a mission to the Mun with a six-Kerbal mothership and lander, to get everybody exp for planting flags. And also to do science. Highly successful mission, lots of science. The ship returns home to wide Kerbin orbit, and I launch a ferry from KSC to meet up with the mothership and pick up the crew and science for return to Kerbin (the mothership and its lander are not designed to land on Kerbin, the plan was to keep them in space permanently, and refuel them for more missions to the Mun and Minmus).

So the ferry parks next to the mothership in orbit, and the six mothership crew EVA and jetpack over to the ferry. Jebediah picks up the science I stored in the command pod, and reminds Bob to grab the science from the hitchiker storage container when it's Bob's turn to EVA.

Probably everybody sees where this is going.

All six crew are on the ferry, and are on their way home for brews, celebrations, and their exp reward.

Jebediah: "Uhhh......are we missing half the science??"

Bill: "What do you know, you're not a scientist."

Jebediah: "I can count. We did eighteen experiments. We have eleven on the ship. Where's the rest of the science?"

Bob: "Don't worry about it."

Jebediah: "Bob, did you forget the science?"

Bob: "Shut up."

Jebediah: "Bob, where's the rest of the science?? I specifically remember telling you to get the rest of the science. Did you get the rest of the science??? Because I don't think you got the rest of the science."

Bob: "I said shut up. I didn't forget the science. The player did."

Jebediah: "Player?? What player?? What the hell are you talking about!?"

Bob, pointing out the computer screen: "THAT guy, idiot."

Bill: "Oh, geez....."

Jebediah: "Way to break the fourth wall, moron."

So I turned on infinite fuel, turned the ship around, and ran back to pick up the rest of the science. Sigh.

Okay, I confess. I spend more time reading the forums these days than playing KSP.

SHAME ON ME!

I wish to atone for this sin, but hold on, there's a thread I really want to read first...

It took me over a year of playing, on and off, before I finally figured out orbital rendezvous. Then I did three different 'rendezvous' missions in one day. To be honest, most of that time was just me being discouraged by my first failure to figure it out.

The lack of this faculty did make for some interesting mission designs, like a single-launch Eve lander and return (and so much debris still orbiting on that career..)

Oh, and I am an absolute litterbug in space. I leave fuel tanks errywhere. Nor do I 'recover' them. Nope. They're still out there. One of these days, I'm sure I'm going to get slammed into by a relative-motion hypervelocity orange tank. Should be fun times.

my modified locomotive wheels derived from M1 rover wheels run on monopropellent.. not electricity...

the engines "generate" monopropellant from the alternator..

Lv1-r engines make great air horns playing a loco horn sound on startup..they run off air intake

I almost never use KSP for space and im eyeing it post unity 5 for use as a train simulator with actual rails..

theres also as of last week..a sacrificial 44 class locomotive orbiting kerbin on a roughly eggshaped orbit

the only time ive ever launched a "sattelight" It consisted of a Kos scripted fuel tank, KAX turboprop, SAS and solar panels...on the bottom was 6 lights

it took off..hovered and lit up the runway :)

im sorry :) forgive me

Edited by Overland

my modified locomotive wheels derived from M1 rover wheels run on monopropellent.. not electricity...

the engines "generate" monopropellant from the alternator..

That's actually brilliant. I've been waiting for a mod for ages that simulates the torque output of an internal combustion engine, that needs to 'crossfeed' into a drivetrain, lose x efficiency when converting to 'horsepower' that feeds to the drive wheels. The same simulation could be used to simulate turboshaft helicopters or other machinery realistically.

Infinite fuel.

/hangs head in shame

Only in desperate times though! Honest!

Okay I also can't land a plane to save my life. I equip chutes.

I don't consider mechjeb a confession at this point. Because I can do it all manually now (maybe not very efficiently though) but some things just get tedious.

And I do live by F5/F9.

Edited by SickSix
to confess more

Okay, I confess. I spend more time reading the forums these days than playing KSP.

SHAME ON ME!

Uuups, same sin here. How is punishment? Maybe i can find something punishing in this forum... wait a second...

I installed a mod that puts fully upgraded Mechjeb in all cockpits and probe cores, so in career mode I used it before I should have been able to because even the basic parts of it weren't unlocked in the tech tree yet.

They still aren't by the way despite me having been to Duna and back... twice.

Also, I got the wonderful idea to take my landers for a planned Grand Tour mission up to orbit... strapped to the SIDES of the vehicle, sticking straight out, held on with a Jr. Docking Port and a crapton of struts. Still have yet to see if that's actually gonna work or not.

I must confess that I have never realised till now the importance of calculating ÃŽâ€Vs.

I've been playing the game from near the beginning and I've been winging it to get into orbit this entire time! (Although my lack of knowledge does explain how I've never been able to get anywhere, apart from the occasional accidental landing on the Mun!)

Part of me, however, wish I really hadn't learnt about the ÃŽâ€Vs. My mind has been blown and I'm tumbling down the rabbit's hole. No longer may I just wing it.... #sadface.

I must also confess to the sin of using Alt+F12 menu and for my careless uses of Hyper Edit. Some things are just not meant to happen...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.