[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

2 hours ago, Third_OfFive said:

Niiice

2 hours ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Dude, that looks good! 

Thank you. On the volume of feedback, it may be preferred to the current colour scheme...

2 hours ago, Onesmallstep said:

YEES!! THIS MOD IS EPIC I LANDED ON THE MOON WHIT STOCK PARTS!!

I also used the transfer stage for the biggest part of the landing thats why there is a fairing there .

I am a little confused why this is here.

I would also ask for preferences on what to do next.

Edited by Beale

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Alternate texture for the Soyuz?

Per request of @MrMeeb

79d364b547.jpg

It's beautiful. I can't wait! :D

Tough call, but personally I'd rather an Ariane revamp. What's the possibility of looking into getting the Ariane upper stage, and some of its more unique (compared to other lifters) payload mount solutions, like the one for two satellites? I think that the current Ariane parts only really allow the making of the first stage of Ariane, not the whole launch vehicle. Just my 2p (I'm English) :) 

VzsQNGP.jpg

(I think the ESC-A is the more commonly used upper stage. and the ESC-B is a newer design? Not sure though)

Ariane_5_ME_configuration_large.jpg

Edited by MrMeeb

2 hours ago, Danny88 said:

Phobos-Grunt remake? I love using it as a probe for the less-atmospheric worlds. 

So I decided against using LK since I wanted to make a mun colony. What do you think of my solution? (Parts from BDB and Tantares)

I really like the lander design for the Soyuz (I think I will steal it!).

Would you mind if I use some of these images for the album? 

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Tough call, but personally I'd rather an Ariane revamp. What's the possibility of looking into getting the Ariane upper stage, and some of its more unique (compared to other lifters) payload mount solutions, like the one for two satellites? I think that the current Ariane parts only really allow the making of the first stage of Ariane, not the whole launch vehicle. Just my 2p (I'm English) :) 

VzsQNGP.jpg

(I think the ESC-A is the more commonly used upper stage. and the ESC-B is a newer design? Not sure though)

Ariane_5_ME_configuration_large.jpg

1 hour ago, FlyMeToTheMinmus said:

If we're talking about Ariane V, I'd like if we could see about the ATV solar panels again. There's nothing else that quite feels right on it.

The ATV is being unwrapped right now, so the Ariane is a strong case to be revamped (And an upper stage with it).

The major difficulty is sizing. The rocket does not fit neatly into any size category (Even using "off" sizes).

The solar panels, sure.

4c9724ce54.jpgd2affeee69.png

Edited by Beale

16 minutes ago, Beale said:

The major difficulty is sizing. The rocket does not fit neatly into any size category (Even using "off" sizes).

I can see your issue there. I'm not actually familiar with the 'off' sizes above 2.5m, but doing some maths (which I'm sure has been done at some point before), the size of the tanks should be around 3.5m (64% of the Ariane's diameter). Is that closer to 3.75, or the off size between 2.5 and 3.75? :) 

21 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

I can see your issue there. I'm not actually familiar with the 'off' sizes above 2.5m, but doing some maths (which I'm sure has been done at some point before), the size of the tanks should be around 3.5m (64% of the Ariane's diameter). Is that closer to 3.75, or the off size between 2.5 and 3.75?

With Contares i get 2.5m for H2B and Ariane 6 but i'm not happy. Better to go to 50% (2.7m) or 55,5% (3m) scale for CLV/Ariane 5. Both variants make a straight fairing of 2.5m parts posible. 3.75m is absolutly to big!

A bit of "Cold War heresy" I haven't indulged in since the Bobcat days...

3E20Ou0.png?1

Yeeeaaaahhhhhhh!

k4g0Tei.png?1

For the curious, the fairings are to protect the SM and its solar panels. Yep, solar panels on a Gemini.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

I very much prefer the newer style for the Soyuz LV and think it should be the standard version. I was musing today on my 14 hour car ride, @beale I think your gray style has gone a bit too far. You need to add more variation, be it using more whites/blacks, or other colors, or both. But that's, just, like, my opinion man.

edit: inb4 Ariane V first stage cryogenic tank is Tantares gray.

edit2: Gibe the Ariane V in 3.125m pls

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I very much prefer the newer style for the Soyuz LV and think it should be the standard version. I was musing today on my 14 hour car ride, @beale I think your gray style has gone a bit too far. You need to add more variation, be it using more whites/blacks, or other colors, or both. But that's, just, like, my opinion man.

I would agree. I love the Tantares mod (obviously), but I would like to see more variation and colour in the markings.

6 hours ago, Beale said:

I really like the lander design for the Soyuz (I think I will steal it!).

Would you mind if I use some of these images for the album? 

Go ahead! :D It launches with your N-1 LLV, and you can see there is a probe left in Mun orbit that contains an engine for kerbin return if you spend too much fuel on landing and ascent.

Edit:

In fact, here's a version of the stack with all Tantares and Stock parts, with similar performance: image

Edit 2: annnnnd an album of said new version.

Edited by Danny88
edit with image

On 6/2/2016 at 8:02 PM, Beale said:

Can anybody else reproduce camera issues with this part?

I am trying to troubleshoot, but unable to reproduce issues.

445505b57a.jpg

Hey guys can anyone help with this? It should be easy to test. Just strap this part onto any vehicle and try to fly it to orbit.

The problems you're looking for is strange camera behavior (camera points behind the vehicle, zooms out without interaction, when zooming in is not centered on the CoM of the vehicle, ...). It does not start immediately. For me around 6 km altitude. But it gets worse over time.

3 hours ago, Dodovogel said:

Hey guys can anyone help with this? It should be easy to test. Just strap this part onto any vehicle and try to fly it to orbit.

The problems you're looking for is strange camera behavior (camera points behind the vehicle, zooms out without interaction, when zooming in is not centered on the CoM of the vehicle, ...). It does not start immediately. For me around 6 km altitude. But it gets worse over time.

Same problem here, everything's fine until around 6000-6500 meters. Camera immediately trails after the craft above that.

Strange thing is, when moving the camera close to the craft after that, the tanks now longer are visible, but the flight log doesn't contain any messages about the tanks having been ripped off or been destroyed in any other way. Pulling the tank into the VAB scene also spams the debug log with error messages:

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I hope that helps. KSPx64 with FAR and a heap of other mods, Tantares/TantaresLV are the newest versions.

16 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

I can see your issue there. I'm not actually familiar with the 'off' sizes above 2.5m, but doing some maths (which I'm sure has been done at some point before), the size of the tanks should be around 3.5m (64% of the Ariane's diameter). Is that closer to 3.75, or the off size between 2.5 and 3.75? :) 

16 hours ago, hraban said:

With Contares i get 2.5m for H2B and Ariane 6 but i'm not happy. Better to go to 50% (2.7m) or 55,5% (3m) scale for CLV/Ariane 5. Both variants make a straight fairing of 2.5m parts posible. 3.75m is absolutly to big!

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

edit: inb4 Ariane V first stage cryogenic tank is Tantares gray.

edit2: Gibe the Ariane V in 3.125m pls

Thank you for the feedback!

3.125m is a very neat size. The boosters are near perfectly in scale at 1.875m!

c334184792.jpg

For colour, I think the new Fuji and LK are good benchmarks. Colourful, but not too much.

The problem is, the colours are loaded with meaning. Yellow on white says monopropellant, red says... ?

The new ATV is white, but if I try to add colour it may look something different.

b3aca6144d.jpg

579b2cf41b.jpg

13 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

A bit of "Cold War heresy" I haven't indulged in since the Bobcat days...

3E20Ou0.png?1

Yeeeaaaahhhhhhh!

k4g0Tei.png?1

For the curious, the fairings are to protect the SM and its solar panels. Yep, solar panels on a Gemini.

Very nice!

I am surprised it flies as well, with the strange shape.

11 hours ago, Danny88 said:

In fact, here's a version of the stack with all Tantares and Stock parts, with similar performance: image

Edit 2: annnnnd an album of said new version.

The double LM tank is a nice combo, it reminds me a lot of:

932a0534a5.jpg

The Cygnus rover is very cute too!

5 hours ago, Dodovogel said:

Unfortunately, I cannot produce the camera issues.

However, it appears to be the case that the part does not produce electricity! :sealed:

8 minutes ago, Beale said:

3.125m is a very neat size. The boosters are near perfectly in scale at 1.875m!

No, always to to large!

take 1.5m for the Booster and 2.75 for the main.

Edited by hraban

16 minutes ago, hraban said:

No, always to to large!

take 1.5m for the Booster and 2.75 for the main.

no one has ever used 2.75 though. Meanwhile I have 3 rockets in that size that are in the works, so Beale wouldn't be alone.

50%/55% scale is great and all, but then what do you do with the payloads? There are already issues with the station parts not correctly fitting in a Proton. IMO the solution is to just scale everything - payloads and launchers - the same. The rockets will always be way OP in the stock system and players should know by now to use rescales to fix it.

EDIT: @Beale I think a good start would be to move away from the plain gray on everything and start using more whites / blacks. At least on the lifters. Incorporating some semi unique colors (tans, extra shades of gray, etc) into the payloads like the ATV would go a long way as well.

Additionally, I have recently become a huge proponent of adding spec/normal maps to all my parts and I would love to see more of that in Tantares. Or were you waiting for PBR..?

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

no one has ever used 2.75 though. Meanwhile I have 3 rockets in that size that are in the works, so Beale wouldn't be alone.

1.5, 1.875m are also no stock sizes. 3.125 is also far away from stock like 2.75m. 2.5m ATV fits nearly perfect to a 2.75m ariane. Your parts are well textured but by the texture absolutly incompatible to Tantares parts.

Just now, hraban said:

1.5, 1.875m are also no stock sizes. 3.125 is also far away from stock like 2.75m. 2.5m ATV fits nearly perfect to a 2.75m ariane. Your parts are well textured but by the texture absolutly incompatible to Tantares parts.

3.125 is half between 2.5 and 3.75. It's as legitimate as 1.875m.

And I suppose that's why I wanted @Beale to move towards my textures. I've gotten some requests lately for my own renditions of his parts as some of the more recent reduxes have moved farther away from a stockalike aesthetic.

Speaking of scale, @Beale @CobaltWolf what scale have you both been using for your parts? Scaling the various ISS modules to 2.5M came out to be ~55% so I'd assume scaling the trusses (in my mod pack) to 55% would be a better fit than 64%.

Edited by cxg2827
Words

41 minutes ago, cxg2827 said:

Speaking of scale, @Beale @CobaltWolf what scale have you both been using for your parts? Scaling the various ISS modules to 2.5M came out to be ~55% so I'd assume scaling the trusses (in my mod pack) to 55% would be a better fit than 64%.

I am terrible, that I don't use a scale at all - I see a real design, choose what size it will be in KSP and scale all other parts relative to that. :) 

Edited by Beale

39 minutes ago, captainradish said:

Slightly off topic, but I have wondered for a while: where did the name Tantares come from?

1. In older versions mods were loaded in alphabetical order.
  2. Antares is a cool name, but would load before the 'Squad' folder.
  3. Add a 'T' to the beginning of 'Antares' to make it load after the stock parts.

It is dumb, but I like it :) 

25 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

The texture on the new ATV is so boring though... I think it's fine the way it is. 

Yeah the textures of the new ATV are kinda boring when you compare it to the current one , the new ones look to me like some generic fuel tank:P