[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

21 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Promising start! Is there a particular reason you chose to make your own Kvant-1 instead of using the module in the mod? :) 

hi nice work on Zarya

i just wanted to make my own Kavant -1 , no reason

15 hours ago, Beale said:

The Meeb strikes back!

Wonderful craft you have made. :) 

Drop me a message if you would like more custom textures created! I would be happy to get involved.

Hello!

Yes, sorry it is quite confusing right now. But is fixed and ready to go in an update, as soon as the LK is 100% done (Very soon).
The capsule originally had a heat shield, but no longer has. As it is refitted for only space stations now.

It is (very loosely) based from the Spektr Mir Module.

Spektr_-_Mir_module.png

Stunning! I love it a lot. Re-texturing you have done?

Hi good to know you like my MIR. Great work you too

Any more parts on next update ?

@Beale, did the Blok-D not make it into the latest update? I dove head first into rebuilding the N1 from scratch and just want to make sure I'm not overlooking it. 

I love the look of the revised LK. Thanks for all your hard work!

18 hours ago, Redhornet919 said:

@Bealeis the LK engine Save breaking??? I'm going to have to finish a mission if it is :P

Yes, the sizes are different.

8 hours ago, Apurva Kawthalkar said:

Any more parts on next update ?

I'm open to ideas!

But, currently I do not really have enough time to make whole new craft.

13 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

@Beale, did the Blok-D not make it into the latest update? I dove head first into rebuilding the N1 from scratch and just want to make sure I'm not overlooking it. 

I love the look of the revised LK. Thanks for all your hard work!

Hello!

Sorry, it is in the process of being moved to TantaresLV, so currently is unavailable (But finished soon).

You'll will have to substitute in the mean-time. 

b3e696373d.jpg

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Hello!

Sorry, it is in the process of being moved to TantaresLV, so currently is unavailable (But finished soon).

You'll will have to substitute in the mean-time. 

b3e696373d.jpg

Ah, no worries then. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Beale said:

:) 

f090abd30e.jpg70cd2f3241.jpg9affdb91d3.jpg357794a810.jpg

I can't shake the sense that the upper structure (payload end) is too long. even if it's not, I think it would look and feel much better if it were a triangle pattern like the lower strut work (engine end). Just my two cents. The texture work looks great BTW!

Just now, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I can't shake the sense that the upper structure (payload end) is too long. even if it's not, I think it would look and feel much better if it were a triangle pattern like the lower strut work (engine end). Just my two cents. The texture work looks great BTW!

Thanks!

I think it looks long because it is to the 0.9375m end point, where most depictions you see in images will be to a wider base, for example here it is with a 1.25m end point.

7ccfe8487a.jpg

The style of the struts is up for debate, but I think it looks not-so-good when crossing. Too high density.

13cd4e70b8.jpg

3 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I think the high and the straight struts was needed to place the Legs of LK.

I think you should keep it short and 1.25m tbh. We could put a 1.25m-0.9375m adapter on top, as the real one didn't really have those struts at the top, it was solid. As well as the bottom of the struts went around the edges of the kerosene ring, not stretched to the top of it. 

But hey, it already looks almost done so I'm not really worried about it. :P

Hello Beale and all fans of Tantares,

Contares (addons for Tantares and TantaresLV) has just released version 1.7.2. Among other things, appear with the release the manned version of the REX-glider and FENIKS (Soyuz 5) launcher and many new and useful small items.

Many rocket engines have been reworked and added into. So there is now the RK-Z-0162 (RD-0162) LOX / LNG (methane), RK-Z-0124 in three versions for diameters of 1.25, 1.5 and 1.875m.

For TLV (Soyuz launcher) a visually appealing stabilizer has been added which significantly differs from Beales half toast :wink:

Take a look at the Contares pages and have fun (Link in the Signature).

Edited by hraban

OK, I build my interim Blok-D and finished out the N1, and forgot to take snapshots along the way. I did manage to get a nice post launch photo:

3HE1B6S.png?1

And burning for the Mun:

ED3Hef3.png?1

2 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I think you should keep it short and 1.25m tbh. We could put a 1.25m-0.9375m adapter on top, as the real one didn't really have those struts at the top, it was solid. As well as the bottom of the struts went around the edges of the kerosene ring, not stretched to the top of it. 

But hey, it already looks almost done so I'm not really worried about it. :P

Possible.

There also can be two different versions of the Blok-D.

11 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

OK, I build my interim Blok-D and finished out the N1, and forgot to take snapshots along the way. I did manage to get a nice post launch photo:

3HE1B6S.png?1

And burning for the Mun:

ED3Hef3.png?1

Amazing!

8c53528ba6.jpg
14126aa5d7.jpg
98bac279b1.jpg
d1f0b7bd2c.jpg
7718fe0d3e.jpg

Hi, I consider myself an amateur Soviet Space Program expert (which means I have a lot of free time and do a lot of Googling), and I think I have an interesting idea to make this stick out from other KSP Soviet'n'such packs, or just something cool to add. It's a crewed Mars spacecraft designed for a flyby of Mars, then on the way home of Venus, called TMK. It is, however, very difficult to find documents on its design, but it did include a lab, a habitat module, and a lead box for the crew to hide in during solar storms. It would be launched by the N1 rocket. If you're interested, here are a few resources: 

Encyclopedia Astronautica: TMK-1

Russian Space Web: Russia's Plans for a Manned Mission to Mars

Also if you're interested, I'd be glad to try and open a few vaults to find a more detailed description.

57 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

3HE1B6S.png?1

And burning for the Mun:

ED3Hef3.png?1

I'll be your best friend if you give me that craft file

blog-mobc-featuredimage-nudgenudge.png

@Joeybafoey, I'd be happy to share it if:

• it wasn't largely untested
  • it wasn't a conglomeration of mods and Tweakscaled parts
  • it didn't have a weird tendency to incrementally lose camera focus every 20 seconds

The last one has me stumped. It was fine in Kerbin orbit, but now at the Mun it jumps farther and farther from the camera over time.

9 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

• it didn't have a weird tendency to incrementally lose camera focus every 20 seconds

The last one has me stumped. It was fine in Kerbin orbit, but now at the Mun it jumps farther and farther from the camera over time.

You got the Stock Bugfix mod? This caused phantom acceleration in orbit of low gravity objects for my game. Camera focus depends on center of mass and if this shifts the camera moves. This mod also helps a lot: 

Edited by hendrack

13 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

It's almost like the real rocket 

17 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

3HE1B6S.png?1

And burning for the Mun:

ED3Hef3.png?1

OH MY KOD AND BABY KESUS. THAT IS THE BEST REPLICA OF THE N-1 YET.

May I ask where you got the fairings?

Though a little note: The LOK never had antenna on the side :wink:

I cant seem to get the texture options on the Soyuz to work. Im must not have done that part of the install ok. Everything else works. All the parts are there, etc. But I dont have any options anywhere to change the textures... 

KSP ->
    GameData ->
             Tantares  ->
                     all Tantares folders including "Alternate Textures"
CM

@Calvin_Maclure

Unfortunately, I do not know what operating system you use, but the replacement of textures is really not rocket science.
Copy the desired texture/s (.dds file) from the "Black Soyuz" OR "Green Soyuz" folder and replace the existing under GameData/Tantares/Soyuz. Now reboot KSP and ... tada ... the chosen alternative texture is visible.

There are alternative textures no texture-change ingame!

Edited by hraban

28 minutes ago, hraban said:

@Calvin_Maclure

Unfortunately, I do not know what operating system you use, but the replacement of textures is really not rocket science.
Copy the desired texture/s (.dds file) from the "Black Soyuz" OR "Green Soyuz" folder and replace the existing under GameData/Tantares/Soyuz. Now reboot KSP and ... tada ... the chosen alternative texture is visible.

There are alternative textures no texture-change ingame!

Ahh I see. I was under the impression that the textures could be changed in-game...

Thanks!

(Windows 10 OS)

CM

Thanks for the kind words about my N1, everyone! It's a launch platform that has always intrigued me, and it's a delight to be able to experiment with the beastie.

@hendrack , thanks for the tip about Camera Focus Changer! That saved the mission (unless I find another way to muck it up).

Descent burn. The temporary crasher stage is pants and needs to be redesigned. Watching it smash into the surface was pretty satisfying after fighting with the hunk of junk. I'll most likely wait for Beale to finish his Blok-D so I can do things properly.

hyu5qnI.png?1

Less than three metres to go.

scwuVb7.png?1

Touchdown and antennae deployment. 

6pvNyqv.png?1

I don't know if this has been reported.

I had an issue when a craft reached about 6 km in altitude, the camera started to act really weirdly, like the craft CoM is somewhere behind the craft. Anyway it got so bad that affected crafts are almost unplayable. There seem to be no errors in the log when this happens.

I do have lots of mods installed so I can not rule out that this is the result of some cross-mod interaction. But if any of you have this issue. I tracked it down to the A-U2R Photovoltaic Monoprop Tanks. If I remove those from the craft or replace them with the non-solar panel version everything is fine.

It would be cool if someone could verify this (perhaps without other mods installed).

After a load of texture fenangling to get the TKS mount to blend nicely with the rest of the Proton, I introduce the new design of the fairing in its early stages, based off @InsaneDruid's feedback and photos. As you can see, Zarya fits nice and snug into the fairing, by pure skill (chance). I've still got some things to do, including shrinking the size of the fairing text and making the TKS mount shorter (it is way longer thanks to the PF mount, but I'll get around that). As you can see however, if I want the more authentic profile, the antennae stick out really quite far from the fairing. IRL, the fairing had small aerodynamic shrouds built into the fairing to protect these, and I suspect this was combined with a telescopic arm. Either way, neither of those options are available to me, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there, other than go for a wider fairing. 

z6Yy3qh.pngJ4Xp0Vn.png