[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

3 minutes ago, Redhornet919 said:

Could you add that .625m cylinder in the middle that is in the current one???  Its nice for smaller engines like the Fuji orbital engine 

Yes! Nice idea.

Texturing Begins

It is like a big brother to the Fregat in appearance.
The Blok-D tank is close to 256x512 (sharing space with the engine part), the Fregat is... 512x512, I should probably fix that.

483ff7a47d.jpg
78388eeb07.jpg
3b1bdb7bf7.jpg
Comparison with the old, you can see there is not really any major size difference.
The old tank has a max-diameter of 2.4m, the new only 2.1

6ac6d63758.jpg

Edited by Beale

19 minutes ago, hraban said:

Ugh, KSP does not need patriotic and nationalistic advertising in the form of national flags or lettering. That destroys the whole aesthetics of rocketry.

If that's pointed at me, I agree. However, I'm going for a replica here, so I'm doing my best to recreate the appearance of the actual Proton rocket that Zarya launched on:

https://m.imgur.com/a/OHUbD

(on mobile and can't get it to imbed)

Is that not fair?

1 minute ago, MrMeeb said:

If that's pointed at me, I agree. However, I'm going for a replica here, so I'm doing my best to recreate the appearance of the actual Proton rocket that Zarya launched on:

https://m.imgur.com/a/OHUbD

(on mobile and can't get it to imbed)

Is that not fair?

Point to what you want but try it in the sense of a free game without all the national pettiness.

2 minutes ago, hraban said:

Point to what you want but try it in the sense of a free game without all the national pettiness.

As far as I'm concerned, if I remove the flags, it's not a visual replica of the mission, which is what I'm going for. Each to their own :) 

I have two questions about the Spectre capsule. First of all, although I know it was based on a TKS variant I don't know which one. Second of all, it seems to have ablator but lack a properly heat-shield looking base. Is this intentional?

23 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Everyone likes teasers, right?

arFXkT4.jpg

Soontm

19 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

:) 

Did someone say stickers?

7bD0yTq.png

I made the red font and the PK logo by hand. I'm dying inside

The Meeb strikes back!

Wonderful craft you have made. :) 

Drop me a message if you would like more custom textures created! I would be happy to get involved.

13 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

I have two questions about the Spectre capsule. First of all, although I know it was based on a TKS variant I don't know which one. Second of all, it seems to have ablator but lack a properly heat-shield looking base. Is this

intentional?

Hello!

Yes, sorry it is quite confusing right now. But is fixed and ready to go in an update, as soon as the LK is 100% done (Very soon).
The capsule originally had a heat shield, but no longer has. As it is refitted for only space stations now.

It is (very loosely) based from the Spektr Mir Module.

Spektr_-_Mir_module.png

6 hours ago, Apurva Kawthalkar said:

http://imgur.com/a/mqQTy MIR in progress

Stunning! I love it a lot. Re-texturing you have done?

47 minutes ago, Beale said:

Hello!

Yes, sorry it is quite confusing right now. But is fixed and ready to go in an update, as soon as the LK is 100% done (Very soon).
The capsule originally had a heat shield, but no longer has. As it is refitted for only space stations now.

It is (very loosely) based from the Spektr Mir Module.

Spektr_-_Mir_module.png

Okay, I was wondering because apart from the heat shield it is perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing command pod I have.

21 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

:) 

Did someone say stickers?

7bD0yTq.png

I made the red font and the PK logo by hand. I'm dying inside

That fairing is wAAAAy to wide. Proton never had this. And Zarya, beeing an TKS based vessel is 4150mm in maximum diameter and its characteristic double cone is actually derived from the bottom of the third stage of proton mounted to a shortened DOS. So they are very close to the 4100mm of proton itself. Also, the interstage that actually holds TKS based vessels on the proton (and covers the aft section of the TKS doible cone) is missing.

Nice stickers though. I like them. Are you using flag meshes to change them? Or replace the whole fairing texture?

Just now, InsaneDruid said:

That fairing is wAAAAy to wide. Proton never had this. And Zarya, beeing an TKS based vessel is 4150mm in maximum diameter and its characteristic double cone is actually derived from the bottom of the third stage of proton mounted to a shortened DOS. So they are very close to the 4100mm of proton itself. Also, the interstage that actually holds TKS based vessels on the proton (and covers the aft section of the TKS doible cone) is missing.

Nice stickers though. I like them. Are you using flag meshes to change them? Or replace the whole fairing texture?

Yeah, I'm aware that the fairing is too wide. I also think it's too tall. However, I didn't particularly want to tweakscale either the Proton or the module to make the proportions correct. Also, I think the issue is actually due to how the Tantares solar panels retract. It's either that or due to the antenna I have not being able to retract like the real ones could (or have funny extensions to the fairings to allow for them), and procedural fairings is just trying to work with it. If you look here, the bulk of Zarya is the same width as the Proton. It's the antennae causing the problem.

LHf3R4c.jpg

I don't really understand your comments about the missing interstage, or shortened DOS (I don't know what that is...forgive me, but I'm not great with part names on the real hardware), but I'm interested. As you can see, I just mounted it in a way that felt sensible to me, due to there not being any easily find-able (if any) images of Zarya being mounted or anything. Do you have any reference photos/articles that I can take a look at? Or you could PM me a more detailed explanation? :)

As for the markings, I used a mod that allows you to place flags on the craft, and each letter is just an individual flag. I think they came out pretty good, all things considered (I'm a total noob at texturing)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did the first test flight of the whole stack, and it flew remarkably well in my version of RSS! I initiated the gravity turn at 100m/s onto the correct heading, locked prograde and the only times I had to touch the controls were for staging and cutting the engines on the last stage! Hurrah! :D 

What you don't get to see is the amount of 'ballast' required to balance the first stage to have a suitable TWR and an accurate burn time after SMURFF makes it incredibly OP

(Also, I know it's upside down. It rolls over. Shhhhhh)

Ah I see.

You mounted the TKS quite realistic. In the real world, this is not a girder-like structure, but actually, the fairing base, which is usually just 583mm in height is extended to  2250mm.

That means, the actual fairing itself which can be jettisoned, doesn't encapsulate a TKS craft completely, but just reaches to the ring in the TKS double cone. The fairing and the TKS are mounted to the extended fairing base.

Here is a link with drawings and dimension of the multiple fairings used for different TKS variants. You can see the difference between structure (the longer fairing base) and the actual fairing itself. http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/East_Europe_2/Proton/Fairings/Proton-TKS.htm (though Kwant is wrong as its missing the FGB that was used as a spacetug).

You can also clearly see this on assembly and starting images of various proton flights.

Zarja and its extended fairing base:

iss_fgb_254_back_bottom_1.jpg

Priroda being encapsulated:

TKS_fairing.jpg

Zarja on the way to the launchpad (note the position of the holding clamp, this is where s3 ends)

145668458614856851.jpg

A TKS/VA (short FGB) with extended fairing base mounted.

TKS_23.jpg

Compare it to the (green) fairing base used in the exomars mission (standard PLF). This images also shows the location of the holding clamp nicely again.ad_199489176.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&st

DOS based vessels, like the Almaz, Saljut, MIR core and Zvezda, also use an extended "fairing" base, but this time, the fairing only reaches down to the beginning of the largest diameter of these parts at max Even less on some launches. The Part of the largest diameter itself isn't surrounded by anything, it is its own fairing.

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/East_Europe_2/Proton/Fairings/Proton-Almaz.htm

(some minor errors again, like "Saljut2" (which was an ALMAZ IIRC), compare with this image, but shows the basic idea quite good)

saliout%202%20cosmos%20557.jpg

The brighter grey part to the far left is the base, the dark one (with the SALJUT 2 witing on it) is the actual saljut station and the white parts to the left are the only jettison-able fairing parts. You can see the covers of the actuators that separate the fairing halves just where the holding arm is attached, they are quite identical with other fairings. Just some pushers. (could be the hinges, too if I think about it. The bulge in the top part could not be cleared if it would split top/bottom)

Edited by InsaneDruid

25 minutes ago, InsaneDruid said:

Ah I see.

You mounted the TKS quite realistic. In the real world, this is not a girder-like structure, but actually, the fairing base, which is usually just 583mm in height is extended to  2250mm.

That means, the actual fairing itself which can be jettisoned, doesn't encapsulate a TKS craft completely, but just reaches to the ring in the TKS double cone. The fairing and the TKS are mounted to the extended fairing base.

Here is a link with drawings and dimension of the multiple fairings used for different TKS variants. You can see the difference between structure (the longer fairing base) and the actual fairing itself. http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/East_Europe_2/Proton/Fairings/Proton-TKS.htm (though Kwant is wrong as its missing the FGB that was used as a spacetug).

You can also clearly see this on assembly and starting images of various proton flights.

Zarja and its extended fairing base:

iss_fgb_254_back_bottom_1.jpg

Priroda being encapsulated:

TKS_fairing.jpg

Zarja on the way to the launchpad (note the position of the holding clamp, this is where s3 ends)

145668458614856851.jpg

A TKS/VA (short FGB) with extended fairing base mounted.

TKS_23.jpg

Compare it to the (green) fairing base used in the exomars mission (standard PLF). This images also shows the location of the holding clamp nicely again.ad_199489176.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&st

DOS based vessels, like the Almaz, Saljut, MIR core and Zvezda, also use an extended "fairing" base, but this time, the fairing only reaches down to the beginning of the largest diameter of these parts at max Even less on some launches. The Part of the largest diameter itself isn't surrounded by anything, it is its own fairing.

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/East_Europe_2/Proton/Fairings/Proton-Almaz.htm

(some minor errors again, like "Saljut2" (which was an ALMAZ IIRC), compare with this image, but shows the basic idea quite good)

saliout%202%20cosmos%20557.jpg

The brighter grey part to the far left is the base, the dark one (with the SALJUT 2 witing on it) is the actual saljut station and the white parts to the left are the only jettison-able fairing parts. You can see the covers of the actuators that separate the fairing halves just where the holding arm is attached, they are quite identical with other fairings. Just some pushers. (could be the hinges, too if I think about it. The bulge in the top part could not be cleared if it would split top/bottom)

Wow, thank you for this! Looks like I've got some (possibly difficult) redesigning to do. I hope I can find a way to make it work. After all, replicas are about tiny details that no one will notice, but they are there anyway :P