KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

So, from my perspective the 64bit engine works, even with my crapload of mods.

There are some fairly serious issues however. As has been pointed out, procedural fairings seem to have no separation force when staged. Also, they seem to not be protecting anything inside the fairings from air resistance.

I have FAR running, so that's a possible issue there, but I have had satellite solar panels blown off during launch even though they were shielded inside the fairings.

I've also seen the difficult right-click issue, but I think that's no big deal.

I've now confirmed the right-click issue does happen on 32-bit when forcing DirectX 11. There seems to be something there with Unity at some level that does not like DirectX11. I have not yet tested to see if I don't get it running 64-bit with OpenGL or DirectX 9. Again, there seems to be some very flaky things that occur that aren't necessarily due to the 64-bit version, but were discovered because we're trying new things to see if we can get it to work.

I think if we can fix the decoupler issue in 64-bit, I'll learn to live with any other bugs. By the same token, if we can fix the texture issues in DirectX 11 with the 32-bit client, I'll be ecstatic there too. That will save enough RAM to let me run everything I want without issue.

Edit: I may have jumped the gun on the DX11 thing with 32-bit. I need to do more testing.

No, the wobble when going from map to ship is definitely there in 32-bit DX11. I may have been running the wrong version for the 32-bit DX mouse click issue. I've got two folders open, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit, and I've not had the mouse issue on 32-bit again.

The only errors I've only experienced in the 64-bit that are not present in the 32-bit is possibly the mouse issue, and the decouplers. Everything else seems to occur in the 32-bit version, especially when running DX11. It is a shame, because the DirectX11 experience is far smoother, with better framerates and lower RAM usage. Of course, I haven't really had any crashes in the 64-bit version like others have.

I've never seen such instability as this! It seems no two players experience is exactly the same, which makes compiling a list of what works/what doesn't almost impossible.

I nuked my 64 bit install earlier today, because it had started crashing every single time I hit 6000 meters. The tried and true method of deleting mods in reverse order from how they were installed did not work..the crash remained. Reinstalled, and now things that did work together on my old install somehow do not now... this 64 bit thing is more like sorcery or witchcraft than any kind of exact science. You can't make a statement such as "mod X doesn't work with mod Y in 64 bit" because as soon as you do, someone will somehow make it run.

@Bloodbunny: the 6000m bug might come from a part, I had the same (randomly) with the AV-T1 winglet. It is caused by Unity and PhysX, apparently a mesh collider issue.

You need to search in your rocket a part you didn't used before. Hoping this is not a too important part (or replaceable).

I would advice not to spent too much time with bug tracking with this 64-bits trick, most of them might hopefully disappear with the next 0.24 update (or this could create more bugs/not work, I'm not sure of anything anymore with this).

And it makes it difficult to isolate 32-bits bugs.

Anyway, Since I found this, I didn't played with 32-bits, and my crashes rate has became close to null (my 32-bits install was heavily modded).

I didn't tested every part, though, like most of the B9 mod, and most of Interstellar's too.

But hey, 64-bits on Linux wasn't really better at launch.

So I found it very promising, I hope KSP will not stick with Unity 4.3.3 (in fact 4.5.1 should already be a great improvement, no need for Unity 5).

But let's face it, when(/if) an official 64-bits release came out, most of mods might still have those kind of glitches, and will need to be fixed.

Keep in mind this is just a generic Unity player attached to KSP with some ducttape. Not a game executable builded specifically for KSP.

Edit: removed the "wobbling" from the expected glitches.

Edit2: relevant video:

Edited by Lilleman

Keep in mind this is just a generic Unity player attached to KSP with some ducttape. Not a game executable builded specifically for KSP.

I believe that some mods are having bugs in the 64bit version, specificly because it is used with ducttape, and not a "native" executable build.

As I updated my RemoteTech2 yesterday I got the same crash reports from both installs, 64 & 32 bit with an Access Violation.

Also in question to the poll, how many ppl realy tried the 64bit hack with a clean install and not did the same like me, just take the heavy modded game and paste the dll and exe files?

Isn't the 32bit ksp exe also a generic Unity player?

\windowsstandaloneplayer\player_win.exe and \KSP_win\ksp.exe are the same size and have the same internal version numbers.

Isn't the 32bit ksp exe also a generic Unity player?

\windowsstandaloneplayer\player_win.exe and \KSP_win\ksp.exe are the same size and have the same internal version numbers.

I uninstalled Unity after doing this so can't check, but you can verify at a dos prompt if the files are exactly the same with the FC commad.

fc /b \windowsstandaloneplayer\player_win.exe \KSP_win\ksp.exe

(You may have to more fully path those but you get the idea)

If you get a huge string of garbage they're different. If they're the same it'll say "No differences encountered" or something similar.

They are not exactly the same, but this was expected (build version, icon file, etc).

These might only be minor tweaks with no impact on execution.

Didn't check every references to see if one was missing or invalid, tough.

@Bloodbunny: the 6000m bug might come from a part, I had the same (randomly) with the AV-T1 winglet. It is caused by Unity and PhysX, apparently a mesh collider issue.

Funny you mention the AV-T1 winglet, that was the EXACT part I had on the rocket. I assumed that since the rocket was all stock, that none of the parts would cause such an issue.

I have the 64 bit patch running on a clean install and everything seems to be running great!! This is awesome!! I can't wait to unleash the power of my fully armed and operational battle computer upon KSP!!

My computer has a AMD 8320 CPU, 8 Gb of 1833 RAM, and a GTX 760. Currently I launch KSP from a shortcut with -popupwindow. Would it be a good idea for me to force Direct3D 11 since I have a card that supports it? If so, would I add "-popupwindow-force-d3d11" to the end of my shorcut?

Edit: I backed up my clean 64 bit install, and put my previous gamedata folder (Sans Aggressive ATM) from a different install into my 64 bit install. When I tried to load up my old game, it end up in the Kerbal re-cruitment building and the game crashes. Also, I can confirm the right click bug. I am going to install one mod at a time now.

Edited by Rabada

So, from my perspective the 64bit engine works, even with my crapload of mods.

There are some fairly serious issues however. As has been pointed out, procedural fairings seem to have no separation force when staged. Also, they seem to not be protecting anything inside the fairings from air resistance.

I have FAR running, so that's a possible issue there, but I have had satellite solar panels blown off during launch even though they were shielded inside the fairings.

Turns out I was wrong about the fairings not protecting the contents. this was just a staging error on my part.

Would it be a good idea for me to force Direct3D 11 since I have a card that supports it? If so, would I add "-popupwindow-force-d3d11" to the end of my shorcut?

You may definitely try (if you will, don't forget the space between startup options), but it probably won't work (not completely, at least). In d3d11 it doesn't load all textures (leaving black marks on the floor of SPH, for example).

You may definitely try (if you will, don't forget the space between startup options), but it probably won't work (not completely, at least). In d3d11 it doesn't load all textures (leaving black marks on the floor of SPH, for example).

There are a few graphics glitches with dx11 but it has seems to have cured my KSP install of lag. (like during attaching Interstellar radiators in the VAB, KSP would hang for several seconds) Also, the shortcut only worked when I switched the order of the start up options around to become "-force-d3d11 -popupwindow"

It seems all decouplers have no separation force; it's not just Procedural Fairings. Right-clicking and picking "decouple" (vs staging) sometimes works.

Solar panels and antennas are not shielded by fairings if they're extended. That's a bug with the solar panel and antenna parts, not 64-bit or fairings. The parts are correctly marked as "shielded" by the fairings but they ignore that and break anyways based on the raw atmospheric values.

Basic program is working. Now I need some extra mods so my memory usage needs to grow. :) Any suggestion for high memory consuming mods?

Kw rocketry novapunch lack luster labs/LLL and bunch of other mods and tweaks

Sorrrry for replying this late!

I just record a part of me playing this and now it is gone :huh:

Edited by Joshwoo69
the dire derp

So running KSP with this installed seems to make my chrome unstable, in terms of not being able to click the URL Box or any of my tabs. lol

Right click first, then everything should work. I think its bug with how Unity handles mouse clicking.

EDIT: From the OP:

-Can cause some weird mouse behavior when switching to another application. A right-click anywhere on the screen seems to fix it.

Has anyone had a particular issue with RSS+PF cfg from the RSS thread? I personally am having trouble loading it, even though it works fine on 32 bit(though on 32 bit I only have RSS+PF installed cause of memory, and it works). normal RSS works fine on 64 bit as far as I can tell. The particular issue I have is that the textures are not loading, and I get a crash+null reference from the log when I try to go into the observatory or try to launch.

Has anyone else had this??

Atempted to use this to play 64bit KSP, my results are as follows:

Stock KSP, works fine tried to load into the kerbal recruitment place, but then changed to right scene. No other issues seen.

Modded Content, crashed on loading a stock autosaved craft file Will experiment more with modded content, but found that Helldrivers KSO mod works much better in 64bit.

Quick in dry tests only tried once with modded content may have been the soundtrack mod that made it crash as it added in a file to the mono folder. Will do more testing at a later time, and post results here.

I`ve had issues with not loading/appearing ingame

RemoteTech2

Procedural Wings

Procedural Parts

KAS

Tracks

MechJeb was abit, wonkey

B9 was so so

Lost alot of parts from other mods that were just invisible

Random crash while toying on a clean install and the moment I left the hanger the game just crashes non stop

Put the 32bit exe and mono.dll back from a full backup and it all worked ok

What is the difference that most of the mods don`t work?