[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

the BDA config file in the BDarmory directory lets you adjust load distance ingame, by default i think it's set to 5km (5000m in the file) and i find it works well setting it to around 30km(30000m in the config) this generally works, but as you can read in earlier parts of this thread, there's still a lot of problems with various loading distance mechanics.

I mean not loading distance but distance at which AI recognizes other vessel and going to shoot it instead of doing circles. I believe this distance maximum is 3,5 or 4,5 km.

Edited by 1valdis

I mean not loading distance but distance at which AI recognizes other vessel and going to shoot it instead of doing circles. I believe this distance maximum is 3,5 or 4,5 km.

Ask and you shall receive. I made a quick little fix that makes the pilot AI's extend range config file configurable instead of using a hard coded value of 4km. I sent BahamutoD a pull request, but until it makes it to the official version, here's a custom dll for you. Replace BDArmory/Plugins/BahaTurret.dll with the one I linked, and add MAX_PILOT_EXTEND_RANGE to BDArmory/settings.cfg and you should be good to go.

..Now that I think about it, I probably should've made it a tweakable value on the pilot itself..

EDIT: Made it a tweakable on the pilot AI part instead. Updated version here.

EDIT2: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Add MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE to BDArmory/settings.cfg instead.

Edited by Yski

I don't think that's what he was talking about. He meant the max guard view distance. Right now, for seeing targets further than 3.5km they need to use radar, but they will engage if they detect a distant enemy on radar.

The pilot extend range you edited in the pull request was the distance a pilot will fly away from a target in order to get a better starting point to run an air to ground attack.

The pilot extend range you edited in the pull request was the distance a pilot will fly away from a target in order to get a better starting point to run an air to ground attack.

*facepalm* No wonder it worked so easily. I didn't actually test if my planes would chase far away targets on an unmodified .dll :blush:

On the bright side, there's already MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE that can be configured via the settings.cfg file, though it's missing from it by default.

I decided I would play Kerbal Space Program and I saw the update for BD Armory so I downloaded it. Now whenever I try to load the game it freezes while loading the chaff dispenser and I have to force the game closed. I went in the files and removed the chaff dispenser so I can play the game but when I use the howitzer, abram's cannon, and flare the dispenser they are missing textures. Also the .50 cal turret is bugged out and won't work. P.S. im using the 32 bit version.

Okay so will MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE push AI to fly to the enemy and engage him from a bigger distance? What a value should be with this setting? Say 10000 (if it's in meters) is OK?

And what is about ground AI? Is there any possibility to let them driving around?

Edited by 1valdis

Okay so will MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE push AI to fly to the enemy and engage him from a bigger distance? What a value should be with this setting? Say 10000 (if it's in meters) is OK?

And what is about ground AI? Is there any possibility to let them driving around?

MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE controls how far away the AI will detect targets without radars etc, and once it detects a target, it should fly to it. The value is in meters, 3500 by default if I recall correctly, so 10000 should work fine.

Alternatively you could put radar receivers on your planes have a large radar detection dish giving the AI targets from somewhere nearby.

Edited by Yski

...push AI to fly to the enemy and engage him from a bigger distance? What a value should be with this setting? Say 10000 (if it's in meters) is OK?

Alternatively you could put radar receivers on your planes have a large radar detection dish giving the AI targets from somewhere nearby.

If you use the datalink (err, radar data receiver) on your fighters and make a rover with the EWR (Early Warning Radar, aka: Large Detection Radar), you will have set up a proper GCI (Ground Controlled Intercept) system. If you add an AWACS equipped plane to the mix, you would have an airborne early warning and control picket system for extra authenticity.

You could take it even further and include a SAM (Surface to Air Missile) site with a TTR/FCR (Target Tracking Radar/Fire Control Radar: aka TWS Locking Radar) and your attacking force would have to have a Wild Weasel component to it, requiring a calculated air cover and SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defences) mission prior to the airstrike... and you'll have recreated all military aspects of a challenge and solution typical of Air Superiority through Power Projection Doctrine.

Which, as it turns out, isn't an easy thing to pull off... but it is so, so fun to try! :)

If you use the datalink (err, radar data receiver) on your fighters and make a rover with the EWR (Early Warning Radar, aka: Large Detection Radar), you will have set up a proper GCI (Ground Controlled Intercept) system. If you add an AWACS equipped plane to the mix, you would have an airborne early warning and control picket system for extra authenticity.

You could take it even further and include a SAM (Surface to Air Missile) site with a TTR/FCR (Target Tracking Radar/Fire Control Radar: aka TWS Locking Radar) and your attacking force would have to have a Wild Weasel component to it, requiring a calculated air cover and SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defences) mission prior to the airstrike... and you'll have recreated all military aspects of a challenge and solution typical of Air Superiority through Power Projection Doctrine.

Which, as it turns out, isn't an easy thing to pull off... but it is so, so fun to try! :)

The prospect of doing so just

gave me a kerbalgasm.

In a word, yes. The easiest way would probably be a small kOS script, it already has support for infernal robotics parts, so pointing something at a target with them shouldn't be too difficult.
I'm not sure kOS can obtain mouse coordinates at the moment. There are other possibilities though but at the moment kOS can't know what the weapon manager/BD is targeting when targets are set by clicking the radar or targeting pod or guard mode. If you added a "Current Target Name" field to the right click menu of the Weapon Manager kOS could read it and know which vessel to act on. IR tracking missile racks and all sorts of other things would become possible.

Once we get the scenario system working we could set up maps like that for people to do!

Combine it with Raster Prop Moniter and do a full IVA mission with trackIR and you will have the DCS kerbal Space Program.

MAX_GUARD_VISUAL_RANGE controls how far away the AI will detect targets without radars etc, and once it detects a target, it should fly to it. The value is in meters, 3500 by default if I recall correctly, so 10000 should work fine.

At the moment, you don't even need the data receiver for AIs. Once a radar picks up an enemy, it automatically gets added to the AI's target database.

what about a manned module, like the science lab, that links multiple radars together, instead of just having it in the gui. That would add an extra element to gameplay, because if one side destroys the other's targeting control center, that team would no longer have to worry about linked radars, such as an AWACS provides. Also, if you were to have a location marked on one vehicle's gps through the targeting pod, others could target it as well, but again, only if you have a targeting/fire control center to patch through the connection.

I feel like this is completely nonsensical... Its really frigging late and I'm tired...

So what about space combat?

I mean specifically, we need a few things:

- To start with, the Space Maneuvering Missiles in BD Armory need an upgrade. The AI targeting needs improvement and upgrade to current targeting standards. Possibly RCS and overall fuel supply needs improvement to handle longer ranges

- There currently is no way to use the AI to pilot craft in space. This needs addressing, if possible. I foresee the possibility that it may require setting up specific ranges and speeds that the A.I. will consider suitable for combat maneuvering. As in - the A.I. can only handle maneuvering for intercept or pointing a ship within those restrictions. Such as restricting maneuvers that will drop an A.I. piloted craft too low and intersect atmosphere or raise the orbit too high and wind up on escape velocity, or use too much fuel combined with the above, etc, etc. I accept that it may not be possible to solve this without player input.

- Guard mode I think needs longer loading range options for space. Both visually and with radar. In practical terms 20-25 miles radar range is WAY too small for practical use in space. Optical acquisition would in theory be far more useful. Though one could argue the semantics in a scientific sense - radio waves are simply another form of light just farther along the radiation spectrum from visible light. What range for determining a threat is practical? Does anyone think that light speed delay should be a factor at extreme range?

Offhanded thought - anybody ever play the original Traveller Pen and Paper RPG? Specifically their version of space combat? The one that actually had you do the MATH for delta-V calculations for both spaceships AND missiles? They simplified it in later editions to the level of "space opera" but that early version might be instructive for how KSP space combat - particularly the kind that Macey Dean and other stock space combat people use in various Youtube videos.

Any word on this hyperedit thing? Or am I stuck not being able to do anything?

Just gotta wait till I fix it.

I decided I would play Kerbal Space Program and I saw the update for BD Armory so I downloaded it. Now whenever I try to load the game it freezes while loading the chaff dispenser and I have to force the game closed. I went in the files and removed the chaff dispenser so I can play the game but when I use the howitzer, abram's cannon, and flare the dispenser they are missing textures. Also the .50 cal turret is bugged out and won't work. P.S. im using the 32 bit version.

Check your BDArmory installation and/or reinstall it.

Edited by BahamutoD

Hey Baha any chance we can get a phalanx style CIWS in addition to the goalkeeper?

The Phalanx is a Vulcan on a mount similar to the goalkeeper. So, just use some creative IR and a Vulcan minigun, plus some plates and stuff, and you have a Phalanx.

It will even be armored and take multiple hits!

The Phalanx is a Vulcan on a mount similar to the goalkeeper. So, just use some creative IR and a Vulcan minigun, plus some plates and stuff, and you have a Phalanx.

It will even be armored and take multiple hits!

That's not quite the same.....

I added this to a copy of the abl config and took the turret stuff out. The camera works, but I haven't tested it with targeting yet. Due to the ABL's model, you only get around 45* of view

MODULE

{

name = ModuleTargetingCamera

cameraTransformName = fireTransform

eyeHolderTransformName = eyeHolderTransform

zoomFOVs = 40,15,3,1

gimbalLimit = 90

}

Edited by randomusername1