[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

37 minutes ago, Rodhern said:

This might be a silly question, but then again maybe not. Do you know that you can rename the vessels from the star-button to the left of the name in the build list (one button click earlier than launch for a ship that is rolled out)?

Ok, silly me, i overlooked this one.  Would be nice if we could change the mission Flag aswell with in this window

28 minutes ago, Filigan said:

Ok, silly me, i overlooked this one.  Would be nice if we could change the mission Flag aswell with in this window

You should be able to change the mission flag by "editing" the vessel prior to rollout, changing the flag in the editor, and then saving the edits. It shouldn't affect build times or anything like that.

Thanks again @magico13 for a great set of mods; KCT + SR really add a lot to the game and give KSP some of the missing flavour from my other space-obsession: BARIS.

One thing that I do miss though is the 'Auto Saved' craft that stock KSP creates. I'm not really sure where that feature would be best wedged into. Perhaps on the 'Build' button, or 'Launch' button. Maybe nowhere. Have you thought about adding something like this into KCT?

1 minute ago, Death Engineering said:

Thanks again @magico13 for a great set of mods; KCT + SR really add a lot to the game and give KSP some of the missing flavour from my other space-obsession: BARIS.

One thing that I do miss though is the 'Auto Saved' craft that stock KSP creates. I'm not really sure where that feature would be best wedged into. Perhaps on the 'Build' button, or 'Launch' button. Maybe nowhere. Have you thought about adding something like this into KCT?

I believe it normally gets auto-created when you launch from the editor (not positive that it does when you launch from the Space Center), so the best place would be when simulating or when building. When you build a vessel, you can always edit it and then save it prior to launch. And when launching there's a hidden temp.craft file that gets generated. I could easily rename and move that temp.craft file to be the autosaved craft.

Where would people prefer an autosaved craft?

1) When simulating
2) When building
3) When launching
4) Somewhere else
5) A combo of the above
6) A combo of the above, but with different names (Auto-Simulate.craft, Auto-Build.craft, Auto-Launch.craft, etc)
7) It isn't needed, so nowhere

Well, I tend to have multiple craft in production simultaneously, often with similar designs. After a launch I find myself going back to 'edit' a craft that is in storage or partially assembled because a design improvement surfaces during the launch or mission execution. In these cases, I 'edit' the craft but don't always remember to 'save' the file before I commit the changes, causing me to have to re-do the modifications on the original source file again if I use the craft for another mission or as the base for a similar mission.

So.. for me, I'd like the 'auto save' to be at the 'Build' and 'Save Changes' step.   :)  

I'm having a problem and not sure why. KCT is forcing my launchpad to be level 0. If I spend the money to upgrade it, it shows the new one for a split second then reverts back to the crappy launch pad. If I disable the mod (just in the KCT menu) then it lets me upgrade, and if I enable it again, it DE levels my launchpad back to zero. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

I'm having a problem and not sure why. KCT is forcing my launchpad to be level 0. If I spend the money to upgrade it, it shows the new one for a split second then reverts back to the crappy launch pad. If I disable the mod (just in the KCT menu) then it lets me upgrade, and if I enable it again, it DE levels my launchpad back to zero. Any ideas?

KCT forces all buildings to take time to upgrade by default. Are you waiting the required amount of time? If you really don't want that feature you can disable that feature in the settings.

Edited by magico13

On 2/28/2016 at 5:03 PM, magico13 said:

Ah, I'll look into it when I get a chance. It seems Kerbal Konstructs is broken with both KCT and StageRecovery based on some reports. Since the mod hasn't been officially updated I haven't given it much priority.

Actually, KK just officially updated, and I was using that version & got the bug again.

22 hours ago, magico13 said:

7) It isn't needed, so nowhere

For me, this. Please make this optional if you implement it. When I realized I was finally rid of that major annoyance after I started using KCT, the euphoria was real. The mere idea of the dreaded "Auto-saved ship" coming back to invade my beloved KCT is causing me all kinds of grief right now.

Well, if you couldn't tell by now, I'm exaggerating a little. I would still be greatly annoyed if it wasn't optional, and slightly annoyed if it wasn't off by default.

By the way, what is the current best-practice workaround for craft that have been recovered to storage spawning above the VAB ceiling in the editor, making them effectively un-editable? I'm currently manually correcting the saves, but since this is highly error-prone, potentially breaking my career later on if some critical mistake doesn't cause any symptoms until way later, I'd rather not keep doing that...

Open the KCT button, and under VAB or SPH scroll down to between your construction queues and your warehoused ships.  There will be a full width button saying "Recover to X".

When you hit that, your vehicle will be removed, and it will be added to the warehouse list with a cooldown timer just like if you had chosen 'rollback' for something on the pad.

Once the recovery timer expires, you can edit, refuel, and repair, then launch it again as normal.

Brief Bug Report: Even though it's kind of dumb, and realistically, I don't expect KCT to be able to handle this sort of thing, but I figured I'll mention it anyway in the off chance you get nugget of useful information out of it (assuming you don't already know this). Trying to unlock the entire tech tree at once (and all the parts) via the in-game cheat menu with KCT active causes KCT to throw null refs in the log, and you get stuck in the RnD screen. Forever. Can't even exit to the main menu, or to KSC, or save the game, nada.

If you want me to file an actual bug report, I can (or at least provide my log), but considering it's easy to reproduce, understand, and avoid...meh. And again, no, I don't except KCT do handle this sort of behavior, I'm just trying to give something back, in the off chance you might find this brief, and kind of silly, report of interest.

Cheers.

Some nullrefs, if you're curious, and to save you the trouble of requesting the log (they're basically all related to Saves or Tech, such as these two, with slight variations):

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_TechItem.DisableTech () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Events.TechDisableEventFinal (Boolean save) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Events.TechDisableEvent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at RDController.CloseButton (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) EZInputDelegate:invoke_void__this___POINTER_INFO& (POINTER_INFO&)
  at UIButton.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AutoSpriteControlBase.OnInput (POINTER_INFO ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UIManager.DispatchHelper (.POINTER_INFO& curPtr, Int32 camIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UIManager.DispatchInput () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SpaceCenterCamera2.InputCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SpaceCenterCamera2.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTimeData.OnSave (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScenarioModule.Save (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ProtoScenarioModule..ctor (.ScenarioModule module) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.Updated () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSCPauseMenu.doSave (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSCPauseMenu.drawSaveDialog () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MultiOptionDialog.drawContent (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

4 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Trying to unlock the entire tech tree at once (and all the parts)

FYI: when you do that it doesn't even stick. Once you exit the save they revert to being locked. If you want to unlock the whole tree at once AND have it work with KCT, download my modlet TreeToppler from the modlets thread in my signature.

10 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

While focused on the craft you want to recover open the KCT button, and under VAB or SPH scroll down to between your construction queues and your warehoused ships.  There will be a full width button saying "Recover to X".

Fixed that for you. And me.

When I first set up KCT I turned off the button for the flight scene. I was looking for something like rollout/rollback from the SpaceCenter view. Because I assure you that sometimes, on rare occasions, it does show up then and there, so I was looking for ways to make it happen consistently. Never occurred to me that I might miss out on something by not having KCT in the flight scene.

On 1.3.2016 at 3:01 PM, MaxRebo said:

By the way, what is the current best-practice workaround for craft that have been recovered to storage spawning above the VAB ceiling in the editor, making them effectively un-editable? I'm currently manually correcting the saves, but since this is highly error-prone, potentially breaking my career later on if some critical mistake doesn't cause any symptoms until way later, I'd rather not keep doing that...

Since we're on the topic of recovering craft to storage, does really nobody have any advice on how to best deal with the above?

2 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

Since we're on the topic of recovering craft to storage, does really nobody have any advice on how to best deal with the above?

What are you changing in the save? I can probably set KCT up to change it automatically when you recover. I haven't run into that problem very often so I haven't ever needed to fix it.

In an affected KCTVessel, I offset the y-coordinate of each ShipNode/PART.pos by a nice round value so that the root part is below y=~50 or so. I've had values higher than 100 in there... I guess ideally, ShipNode.size (plus some safety offset) could be leveraged to consistently get any vessel in a reasonable position, but it's a pain to do by hand - if you could insert some logic somewhere to handle that automatically that would be greatly appreciated...

This is a pretty cool mod! I'm having fun using it. :D

A question though: When you recover parts, are you meant to get refunded for them or can I reuse the parts? There's an inventory of parts but I'm not really sure how it works. :(

4 hours ago, MaxRebo said:

In an affected KCTVessel, I offset the y-coordinate of each ShipNode/PART.pos by a nice round value so that the root part is below y=~50 or so. I've had values higher than 100 in there... I guess ideally, ShipNode.size (plus some safety offset) could be leveraged to consistently get any vessel in a reasonable position, but it's a pain to do by hand - if you could insert some logic somewhere to handle that automatically that would be greatly appreciated...

I've added an issue on GitHub and will try to get it fixed next release. I don't think it will be too difficult to fix, but I won't know until I try. Worst case scenario I write something that iterates through the node and fixes all the positions in the save file.

19 minutes ago, yorshee said:

This is a pretty cool mod! I'm having fun using it. :D

A question though: When you recover parts, are you meant to get refunded for them or can I reuse the parts? There's an inventory of parts but I'm not really sure how it works. :(

Yes, to both! You're still refunded like Stock, but there's also an inventory that keeps track of which parts you've recovered. It's a little counterintuitive but you still get the funds back for the parts in the inventory, they just affect build times. The inventory is one of the original features and pre-dates the existence of funds! (KCT was first written for 0.23, funds were added in 0.24 a few months later)

Basically: when you recover a vessel it behaves exactly like the Stock game, except the parts also get copied into the inventory. When you build vessels using parts from the inventory, they take less time to build. You can also "scrap" vessels instead of recovering them which also refunds the cost and adds the parts to the inventory. That's basically it!

Edited by magico13

16 hours ago, magico13 said:

FYI: when you do that it doesn't even stick. Once you exit the save they revert to being locked. If you want to unlock the whole tree at once AND have it work with KCT, download my modlet TreeToppler from the modlets thread in my signature.

aha! so it's not a flaw, it's a feature...sneaky sneaky. :lol: (joking)

I only needed it temporarily to test/screenshot a later part and my mm config to unlock it wasn't working, so that was plan B, but the moment has passed. Thank you though.

13 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

aha! so it's not a flaw, it's a feature...sneaky sneaky. :lol: (joking)

I only needed it temporarily to test/screenshot a later part and my mm config to unlock it wasn't working, so that was plan B, but the moment has passed. Thank you though.

I'm not 100% sure on this or not, but I think if you disable the tech unlock times feature of KCT it might work. Haven't tested it though but it'd be worth a shot if you have to do that again in the future.

First, I LOOOOOVE this mod.

Second, I seem to have found an incompatibility with KCT. Specifically, I find that when I Take Command spawns Kerbals in a seat, that craft has a problem. When it goes over about 2.5 m/s (across the ground, like a rover; up like a rocket, doesn't matter) the game resets it to the ground, rotated 90 degrees (so lying flat if a rocket) and then KCT spawns a ton of exceptions. Sometimes the game recovers (from the exceptions, and sometimes not). This only happens after KCT builds something over time. It does not happen if using KCT's simulation feature.

It does not happen with normal command pods, unmanned craft. It does not happen if I spawn a kerbal in a normal pod then move him over to the seat. This is happening on an install with only KCT, Take Command, and GCMonitor.

Logs: KSP.logplayer.log

Has anyone else encountered this?

I've crossposted this on the Take Command thread also.

Playing on Linux x64

2 hours ago, Wercho said:

First, I LOOOOOVE this mod.

Second, I seem to have found an incompatibility with KCT. Specifically, I find that when I Take Command spawns Kerbals in a seat, that craft has a problem. When it goes over about 2.5 m/s (across the ground, like a rover; up like a rocket, doesn't matter) the game resets it to the ground, rotated 90 degrees (so lying flat if a rocket) and then KCT spawns a ton of exceptions. Sometimes the game recovers (from the exceptions, and sometimes not). This only happens after KCT builds something over time. It does not happen if using KCT's simulation feature.

It does not happen with normal command pods, unmanned craft. It does not happen if I spawn a kerbal in a normal pod then move him over to the seat. This is happening on an install with only KCT, Take Command, and GCMonitor.

Logs: KSP.logplayer.log

Has anyone else encountered this?

I've crossposted this on the Take Command thread also.

Playing on Linux x64

New information: It's not Take Command, it just seems to happen anytime the vessel moves for the first time with a Kerbal in the command seat. Specifically, to further test this I created a vehicle with 2 EAS-1 command seats and a normal cockpit. Put only Jeb in the cockpit on launch. The vessel is fine if I first drive it somewhere, then move Jeb out to one of the seats. Then it works normally. However, if I move Jeb to a command seat first (not with a mod, just by EVA), and then start driving the vehicle goes bonkers as described in my first post. This is a pretty strange bug, I think.

On 3/6/2016 at 8:38 PM, Wercho said:

it just seems to happen anytime the vessel moves for the first time with a Kerbal in the command seat.

That's really strange. KCT doesn't really do much in flight so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'll take a quick look at the log and will let you know if I see anything helpful.

Edit: Nope, definitely a KCT related issue. It's running into an error when trying to figure out how much time launchpad reconditioning should take because of the kerbal in the chair (it converts the vessel back to a craft file, but the kerbal in the chair is unsupported). I'll see if I can try to come up with something really quick. Edit 2: try this .dll and let me know if it avoids the problem (it doesn't fix it, it should just catch the error and avoid it)

Unrelated:

Small update to 1.3.2. It's just a hotfix that @NathanKell threw together to fix an issue regarding vessel size limitations in the spaceplane hangar. If you're not using the SPH then there's no rush to update. Next full update will be for 1.1. I might not get a chance to really add anything new though for that update, but I'll try to get some bug fixes in. The next few months are going to be busy (writing a Masters Thesis, graduating, moving, getting married, and starting a new job all by the start of July).

Edited by magico13