KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

(On x64, I'm assuming that using doubles should be just as fast as floats on x86.)

It doesn't really work like that. 64bit is more about memory addressing and pipeline width, and even then it's more relevant to integer operations than floating point, SSE predates AMD64, and that provided 128bit registers.

Speed wise, there'll be little difference on the same processor, the calculations themselves will most likely be slower, longer floating point numbers take longer to work on.

• 2 weeks later...
I just released a new version of my Harder Solar System configs that adds 64K support if anyone is interested. The config simulates axial tilt on Kerbin by rotating the entire solar system (like how RSS does it for Earth), increases the inclinations of Dres and Eeloo relative to the ecliptic to be more like Ceres and Pluto, changes the inclinations of Mun to about 5° to be like the Moon's and Minmus to 0.5[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]°[/FONT][/COLOR], and increases Jool's mass to be more realistic relative to the scale.

[URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/137931"]Link to Thread[/URL]

I should add that I tested on 1.0.5, and my specific changes are verified to work with the 1.0.4 version of 64K. This does not mean 64K is playable with the latest Kopernicus/KSP. Edited by stevehead

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Dermeister said:

Is this being worked on to work with the current KSP version? or is this abandoned in favor of Real solar system?

It works on 1.0.5 if you use the version of Kopernicus that comes with it. The public github repository hasn't had any commits since August, so I assume that there's no ETA on updating to the version of Kopernicus that current RSS is using.

64k isn't deprecated in favor of any other mod; it's just a little hard up for contributor time right now. Updating might be a good way to learn Kopernicus if anyone is interested.

I just pulled a fresh copy of KSP, Kopernicus, and 64K and it seemed to work for me. At least Kerbin loaded up fine and in the tracking station nothing looked out of place at first glance. Anything specific that breaks? Also, post up some logs if it doesn't work.

Not going to promise miracles, but I might be able to at least get it working...

Wow, this is an actually nice mod. I'm very happy it works with AVP and OPM

I have a question though; I'm not sure how to get scatterer to properly get scaled and work with this. 

I also have a problem with OPM and the planetary rings. The rings spawn in, but they're inside the planet in the original position. How can I scale up the rings? 

1 hour ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

Wow, this is an actually nice mod. I'm very happy it works with AVP and OPM

I have a question though; I'm not sure how to get scatterer to properly get scaled and work with this. 

I also have a problem with OPM and the planetary rings. The rings spawn in, but they're inside the planet in the original position. How can I scale up the rings? 

You can use the UI in scatterer to adjust the height of the atmosphere. I'm not sure if that fixes everything, but I think it helps. I'll be someone out there already has a config for it. If not, I'll give it a try some time. Keep in mind that scatterer is very much in active development, so it's got a lot of bugs, and goes through a lot of changes. 

2 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

You can use the UI in scatterer to adjust the height of the atmosphere. I'm not sure if that fixes everything, but I think it helps. I'll be someone out there already has a config for it. If not, I'll give it a try some time. Keep in mind that scatterer is very much in active development, so it's got a lot of bugs, and goes through a lot of changes. 

Thanks. I tried playing around with it, but I can't seem to get the right size. Does anyone happen to know what I need to do? I even tried multiplying it by 64 and by 6.4 and nothing worked. 

Also, what about the rings?

51 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I'm futzing about with the 64-bit workaround (yeah, I know, bad user! No support for u!) anyway, what's the highest resolution texture for Kerbin available?

8k is highest unity can allow AFAIK

55 minutes ago, Svm420 said:

64K comes with textures for kerbin. So if you rename your texture to that name and overwrite the file it will work as it should. That's the easiest method

That's what I did and it seems to work great :)

4 hours ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

Thanks. I tried playing around with it, but I can't seem to get the right size. Does anyone happen to know what I need to do? I even tried multiplying it by 64 and by 6.4 and nothing worked. 

Also, what about the rings?

I don't know about the rings for OPM. Iirc there was a thing about Scatterer not working in RSS currently, so maybe it's the same for 64k. I currently use an older version of Scatterer (pre-multi planet support) because it provides the effect I want, and that seemed to work pretty well for 64k out of the box as far as I was concerned. All I had to do was change the mapscaleview or something to 6.4. I know this is sorta useless, unless you can get your hands on the older version. It should be on KerbalStuff.

This video is filmed in 64k with the setup I just described:

Edited by MrMeeb

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

That's what I did and it seems to work great :)

I don't know about the rings for OPM. Iirc there was a thing about Scatterer not working in RSS currently, so maybe it's the same for 64k. I currently use an older version of Scatterer (pre-multi planet support) because it provides the effect I want, and that seemed to work pretty well for 64k out of the box as far as I was concerned. All I had to do was change the mapscaleview or something to 6.4. I know this is sorta useless, unless you can get your hands on the older version. It should be on KerbalStuff.

This video is filmed in 64k with the setup I just described:

<Video Snipped>

Nice video! 

I gave scatterer a try and it works, it's just that I have no idea what size I need to scale it up to for it to work? The oceans work fine, which is nice, and the atmospheric scattering too. But once you go to space or the map view you don't see anything. I'm just wondering what's the scaling size.

And OPM is what I'm mainly trying to figure out. The planets were scaled, which is great! Here's the planet's rings inside it's self (please don't mind the crappy quality, I forgot to make the game save better screenshots):

Imgur isn't working. Here's the link to what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/HW1U9Ci.jpg

Edited by Mr Betelgeuse
Imgur image removed due to formatting.

5 hours ago, Svm420 said:

64K comes with textures for kerbin. So if you rename your texture to that name and overwrite the file it will work as it should. That's the easiest method

OK this is embarrassing, um... any idea where I can find a nice 8k Kerbin texture? My source seems to have evaporated... :blush:

OK so 2 questions.... Where can I get an engine mod ( efficiency mod for stock kerbal engines) so that the Engines performs as it should for a 64k Kerbin? I don't want to use real fuels. Also where can I get the cloud mod for 64k? I've tried the standard cloud mod  what's it called... the 1 that adds lights and cities... I din't like the fact it adds cities ect plus the clouds looked all weird on 64k... yet in the youtube video a few posts above.. his clouds look nice...

OK so 2 questions.... Where can I get an engine mod ( efficiency mod for stock kerbal engines) so that the Engines performs as it should for a 64k Kerbin? I don't want to use real fuels. Also where can I get the cloud mod for 64k? I've tried the standard cloud mod  what's it called... the 1 that adds lights and cities... I din't like the fact it adds cities ect plus the clouds looked all weird on 64k... yet in the youtube video a few posts above.. his clouds look nice...

My clouds (and city lights) texture are from the KSP Reneissance Compilation, but I think the key point is that I'm using the old version of EVE. Funny that...both scatterer and eve I'm using old versions :P I edited the cloud heights a bit by bringing up the menu in game with alt-n (not entirely sure that's the right key...try it). To remove the city lights try deleting the city lights textures or config files.

For engine mods, I think the thing you might want is ISP Difficulty Scaler. I haven't tested it yet as a way to make engines work in 64k, but if you can figure out how to use it, I don't see why it wouldn't work; it modifies the efficiency of engines after all. Give it a go and get back to me if it works :)

14 hours ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

Nice video! 

I gave scatterer a try and it works, it's just that I have no idea what size I need to scale it up to for it to work? The oceans work fine, which is nice, and the atmospheric scattering too. But once you go to space or the map view you don't see anything. I'm just wondering what's the scaling size.

And OPM is what I'm mainly trying to figure out. The planets were scaled, which is great! Here's the planet's rings inside it's self (please don't mind the crappy quality, I forgot to make the game save better screenshots):

Imgur isn't working. Here's the link to what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/HW1U9Ci.jpg

For scatterer, look in the config file and try changing scale values from 1 to 6.4. The multiplier for all the planets in this mod is 6.4, so putting 6.4 as the multiplier for scatterer could work. 

(I can't see the screenshot (darn school wifi blocking imgur)) 

I don't know how Kopernicus (how OPM works I think) works at all, but there might be some numbers in a config file for the rings somewhere that you can, again, multiply by 6.4. 6.4 is the magic number here :P 

have you tried asking about the rings in the OPM thread?

For engines, and simplicity, I think you want either SMURFF, or ROMINI. I've only attempted SMURFF, and it handles the going up part great, but as always it's the coming down part that sucks :P hopefully I will have a chance to try ROMINI in the near future. 

2 hours ago, komodo said:

For engines, and simplicity, I think you want either SMURFF, or ROMINI. I've only attempted SMURFF, and it handles the going up part great, but as always it's the coming down part that sucks :P hopefully I will have a chance to try ROMINI in the near future. 

SMURFF??? ROMINI???

I have used this with the latest version of Kopernicus and it works fine, why not update to 1.0.5 on CKAN so I don't need to manually add it in to my gamedata and have CKAN not detect it? I've had not a single problem aside from the space one where it freezes in career, but that was a while ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.