KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

I think MachTemperatureScalar needs to be reduced (presumably to 1, as described earlier in this thread) before it can really get the bump. If you try to come in from LKO using otherwise unmodded KSP heatshields overheat and blow up before they've used all of their ablator.

That, or make a re-entry heat mod a recommendation/requirement.

Edited by Armisael

On 1/24/2016 at 0:41 PM, EatVacuum said:

It might be some odd mod interaction, the only other thing I can think of is that the drag cubes for the chutes might be messed up. Look for PartDatabase.cfg in the KSP root folder. rename it to PartDatabase.txt. Then launch KSP and it should build a new PartDatabase.cfg file so all your chutes should have the correct values. Hope that helps.

OK, I think you nailed it with this suggestion. After returning to stock aero and refreshing that file, the stable descent speed of the craft is 3.9 m/s. The upper atmosphere kindly slowed us down to parachute speeds without even exhausting the first heat shield this time. A stale parts cache is a highly plausible explanation for the many and strange failure modes of this craft.

Thanks very much! I had not heard about this file before, and it's now on my short list of things to try if I have problems while installing and uninstalling mods.

Hey folks,

I just installed 64k again, including the Kopernicus version that comes with it. I also installed the latest FAR. KSP version is 1.0.5 and the install is fresh. (renamed the original folder and revalidated the game files)

Now I have a problem with reentry heating. When reentering a mk1 capsule with a heatshield on a 120km x 40km orbit, I burn up suddenly before I even hit 60km. I think it should not be that way. ;)

Is there a way to fix that? Are some physics variables off?

1 hour ago, Sp4C3M0nk3Y said:

I have a problem with the command pods not slowing down enough in the atmosphere on reentry (I fixed my heat issue thanks @Joco223).  They are not slowing down enough for parachutes before I hit the ground am I doing something wrong? (no other mods just this and stock).

NathanKell posted a physics patch that is used in Realism Overhaul, it noticeably helps with aero physics. I will have to track that post down though.

Edit: Here's the post. It's used in conjunction with RealHeat (which I'd also recommend for 64k) but independent of it. Should just be able to drop that cfg into your GameData folder (provided you also have ModuleManager.)

Edited by MainSailor
Added link

That won't change slowing down, just how fast you heat up. The problem here is that KSP payloads generally have realistic mass for their use (~t for 1-person capsule, ~5-6t fully specced out 3 person capsule) but only 40% of the surface area, i..e 40% of the drag. That means you will have a lot of trouble slowing down.

To fix you can use Realism Overhaul, or you can just use https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/ROMini.cfg (a simple MM patch that gives a flat 1.6x scaling, and real TWRs/structural fractions/etc).

It's like SMURFF only it rescales too.

23 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

That won't change slowing down, just how fast you heat up. The problem here is that KSP payloads generally have realistic mass for their use (~t for 1-person capsule, ~5-6t fully specced out 3 person capsule) but only 40% of the surface area, i..e 40% of the drag. That means you will have a lot of trouble slowing down.

To fix you can use Realism Overhaul, or you can just use https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/master/ROMini.cfg (a simple MM patch that gives a flat 1.6x scaling, and real TWRs/structural fractions/etc).

It's like SMURFF only it rescales too.

Ack. This gives me a good push to get my patches and auxiliary scripts submitted as a PR. I will put it on my todo list, but it may be into the weekend before it hits (aka, gets worked on :P )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.