[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

1 hour ago, nickrulercreator said:

Help with loading.

So I installed the mod (I just dragged the unzipped folder into the GameData folder) and loaded up KSP. As the game was loading it got stuck. The line it got stuck on was Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/mk1-2CommandPod/Mark1-2Pod 

I tried quitting KSP and relaunching it, same thing. I then tried to see if it was something wrong with the game, so I temporarily removed the mod from the GameData folder, and launched KSP. It worked fine. 

I don't know if I did something wrong. I have a mac, but I've seen other users on youtube use a mac with RO. 

What should I do?

Hey  Nickrulecerator

i had the same thing happen a few times as well, did you remove the whole mod and try relaunching KSP? also what os are you on? if your running a mac you can also try to clear the saved application state tsp file. you can try moving the part that stalled and put it in the part folder KSP/Parts, this has worked for me as well.

when i had this problem i removed the part that stalled and relaunched to see if its just the part conflicting or the mod its self. i could not find answered for this problem back when this happened so i just removed that part and played as it was never there. i hope this helps I'm still new to this game i a lot of ways. 

@Phineas Freak Yep, RCS really should fail to work if its propellant isn't highly pressurized. My aim was to make SovlerEngines and ModuleEnginesRF generic enough that they would work for both engines *and* RCS, thereby not having to duplicate code.

In other news, forgot to update the OP. 10.7.3.

• SSTU updates.
  • Fix Pyrios atmo curve.
  • Radiator fixes
  • Add Castor 4.
  • Fix MMRTG.
  • Fix Able and Delta drag cubes.
  • Fix Voyager antenna range.
  • Fix gimbal for AJ10-137 (SPS) using VSR model.

I can't find information about some possible incompatibilities of RO with some other mods like Enhanced navbal  and  KRUS docking camera for example. My install of RO works just fine with all of the recommended and some of the suggested ones. However when I add  Enhanced navbal and/or KRUS docking camera (via CKAN or simply by adding the mods to gamedata) nothing happens. The KSP Addon Version Checker shows the same number of mods as before. Also, nothing shows in game for those 2 new mods. They seem to just be completely ignored. They are compatible with 1.0.5 according to CKAN. 

KSP: 1.0.5 (Win32) - Unity: 4.6.4f1 - OS: Windows 8.1  (6.3.10586) 64bit
Filter Extensions - 2.4.1.3
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.5.4
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts - 0.40.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.4.8
Connected Living Space - 1.2.0.1
Contract Configurator - 1.9.1
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.3
Deadly Reentry - 7.3.1
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.5.4
Firespitter - 7.1.5
RasterPropMonitor - 0.24.2
Kerbal Construction Time - 1.2.3
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5
KW-Rocketry-Community-Fixes - 0.4.3
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.1.2
Procedural Parts - 1.1.11
RCS Build Aid - 0.7.6
RealChute - 1.3.2.6
RealismOverhaul - 10.7.3
RealSolarSystem - 10.4.1
RemoteTech - 1.6.9
Saturatable RW - 1.10.2.1
SCANsat - 1.1.4.5
SolverEngines - 1.14
TextureReplacer - 2.4.11
TAC Life Support - 0.11.2.1
VenStockRevamp - 1.9

I mean that nothing seems to change between having those mods in gamedata and not having it in game data. I just whent ahead and installed all the supposedly compatible docking port alignment mods out of the three on CKAN, only the Docking Port Alignment Indicator by NavyFish seems to be loaded. I do have the Toolbar mod. I it just not showing in the list generated by  KSP Addon Version Checker I don't know why.

Hey guys,

I've recently started a RSO game following Scott's series. I've loaded exactly the same mods as he has, which are:

Realism Overhaul with all it's dependent and recommended mods

Realistic Progression Zero with all its required and recommended mods

Ambient Light Adjustment

Texture Replacer

TweakScale

PersistentRotation

Kerbal Engineer

FASA

Here is the actual modlist with versions and all that jazz:

X6QqRtT.png

Now, the thing is I can't get my sounding rockets to send science data. I usually build them with the sounding rocket avionics module, and science data is transmitted without any problems, as long as they are on the launch pad. The second I launch them, I can't transmit anything, despite having power, being mere meters away from my transmitting station, and being otherwise able to control the rocket as usual (I can stage through the avionics module).

I've been trying to tackle this problem for a few days, but I'm getting around to admitting defeat. Any ideas about  what is happening?

Am i able to use other engines from other mods? (Space Y,etc.) I really want to make bases on other planets and i can't really see how engines from this mod are able to do it. (Or they can?(Never used RO before))

3 hours ago, Joco223 said:

Am i able to use other engines from other mods? (Space Y,etc.) I really want to make bases on other planets and i can't really see how engines from this mod are able to do it. (Or they can?(Never used RO before))

I highly suggest using the Advanced Gemini Lander Engine (From the Gemini section of the FASA parts pack) on your landing craft you make in Realism Overhaul. I use one ore more of those engines on most of my landers This engine has several advantages over other engines that make it well suited for landing craft.

1: It has infinite ignitions

2: I does not require Ullage: No need to worry about settling your fuel tanks.

3: It has a very wide throttle range: Trying to land a craft using any other engine besides this and the Apollo Lunar descent engine can be a pain, as you will pretty much have to perfectly time a suicide burn. However with the Advanced Gemini Lander Engine you can throttle it all the way down to 11% minimum, this gives this engine a much more stock like feel.

4: It is fueled by hypergolic fuels: Cryogenic fuels like liquid hydrogen have a nasty habit of boiling away and emptying from your tanks, hypergolics don't. Also this engine has pretty good ISP and TWR for a hypergolic engine, (311 VAC ISP)

5: Its small, so its easy to fit into your designs.

It appears to me that this gemini lander engine is pretty much a giant RCS thruster. Its pretty much my general purpose engine for most craft in space.

Gemini Lander Engine is good, but very low-thrust. Makes it all but useless on bodies that aren't moons, even when using many multiples of the engine.

I have two wishes for engines that I haven't found yet:

- High-thrust, much larger version of that Gemini engine for landing heavy payloads and also for deep-space heavy-payload maneuvers. There is one high-thrust hypergolic engine in the game but it can only be fired once and no throttle. The only other real option is the Apollo Service Engine but it is unthrottleable and the thrust is still very low for heavy payloads (anything bigger than an Apollo mission), so there isn't really any option for manned deep-space missions right now.

- Super-high-thrust 1st-stage engine - something as big and powerful and expensive as 20x F-1A's, for launching really big payloads. The lag from huge numbers of F1's right now makes it impossible to launch very large vehicles like this. Would love to see something like the Sea Dragon Rocket engine made compatible with RO.

Are there any 3rd-party options compatible with Real Fuels for either of these scenarios?

Also, I can't get the NERVA to work properly. I understand it has limited use cases, but its Isp in practice seems to be closer to 250 in a vacuum rather than the claimed 900+, at least according to Kerbal Engineer when building the vehicle. I can't find any usage scenario - even high-dV - where it would outperform any conventional engine. And I wish it allowed fuels other than Hydrogen, like real nuclear engines (they are flexible in fuels), so they could be used with less/no boiloff for deep space maneuvers (the only scenario they should be useful for, anyway).

And one last thing... the ion engine is useless. The RO wiki suggests using it in conjunction with the Orbit Manipulator mod, but that mod doesn't seem to exist anymore for recent versions of KSP, making the engine unusable.

3 hours ago, dasbin said:

Also, I can't get the NERVA to work properly.

I have found the Nerva engine useful but awkward. First of all, use Balloon cryo tanks, this will reduce the dead weight in your tanks by quite a bit.

I have only really found one use for the Nerve engine. I used it on the third stage of a NOVA style rocket. The first stage was something like 8 F1 engines, and the second stage used 2 or 3 M1 engines. These two stages together got me to about 8500 d/v. The third stage was 10m wide by 30 or 40m tall with only a single Nerva engine. I remember It had a 20 minute burn time. I used the third stage to circulize the orbit and then on the next orbit I used it to push about 80-100 tons to Mars

Edited by Rabada

Didn't find any threads for RealHeat, so I'm asking a question about it here.

@NathanKell Is RealHeat compatible with DeadlyReentry?(Or, will any of them disable some features while the other one is installed?)

I'm using some DRE features (heatshielded fairing, etc.) while installing RH for some realistic heating in RSS, and I suffer from some strange heating at about 100km in the atmosphere, where the pod(SSTU Labs' Orion pod, without RO) started to overheat without ablating its ablator. (No image, I'll post them once I meet it again when playing.)

Is there any way to fix it?

Edited by 01010101lzy

3 hours ago, 01010101lzy said:

Didn't find any threads for RealHeat, so I'm asking a question about it here.

@NathanKell Is RealHeat compatible with DeadlyReentry?(Or, will any of them disable some features while the other one is installed?)

I'm using some DRE features (heatshielded fairing, etc.) while installing RH for some realistic heating in RSS, and I suffer from some strange heating at about 100km in the atmosphere, where the pod(SSTU Labs' Orion pod, without RO) started to overheat without ablating its ablator. (No image, I'll post them once I meet it again when playing.)

Is there any way to fix it?

RealHeat is definitely compatible with DeadlyReentry. The purpose of RealHeat is to modify the thermal model to be more accurate, while DeadlyReentry adds g-load limits for the crew, structural integrity modification for overheated parts and more. No features are enabled or disabled if both of these mods are installed.

I would imagine that without using RO the pod will not be patched to be compatible with RSS (RO also modifies the thermal parameters like specific heat capacity, maximum part temperature, skin temperature etc.). So, if the pod is not already configured for RSS/RO then you will need to make it compatible.

The SSTU Orion is compatible with RO btw.

2 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

RealHeat is definitely compatible with DeadlyReentry. The purpose of RealHeat is to modify the thermal model to be more accurate, while DeadlyReentry adds g-load limits for the crew, structural integrity modification for overheated parts and more. No features are enabled or disabled if both of these mods are installed.

I would imagine that without using RO the pod will not be patched to be compatible with RSS (RO also modifies the thermal parameters like specific heat capacity, maximum part temperature, skin temperature etc.). So, if the pod is not already configured for RSS/RO then you will need to make it compatible.

The SSTU Orion is compatible with RO btw.

I am just wanting to play a kerbalized (with RF) experience in RSS, and I have already got a code like this in my MM patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[ModuleAblator|ModuleHeatShield]:AFTER[DeadlyReentry]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem,!RealismOverhaul]{
    @MODULE[ModuleAblator|ModuleHeatShield]
    {
        @name = ModuleHeatShield
        // Globally, the base is 5. Consider making this 8.75 for all but Mk1pod
        @lossConst *= 0.0008
        @pyrolysisLossFactor *= 50
		@reentryConductivity = 0.01
		@ablationTempThresh = 1000
    }
}

But the problem is, will the heating effect of RH add on to the heating of DRE?

Problem solved, the strange overheat was caused by a KSP heating issue.

Edited by 01010101lzy

My KSP RSS RO install gets stuck at FASA and AIES when loading. I dont really want to remove them because thay are so cool. I have almost all mods installed from suggested mods for RO and im using 64-bit workaround. I suggest im hitting the memory ceiling (But i don't know how that would work because im using 64bit workaround). Any Suggestions? 

-EDIT-

BTW Im using windows and the nyan cat that goes at  the bottom of loading screen is going super fast so i think it cant load the parts

-EDIT2-

Is there a way to make engines from other mods work with RF? Like some MM confing or something? And also because i made some engiens myself in the past, how do you set up the part.cfg to use RF instead of standard LFO?

Edited by Joco223

1 hour ago, Joco223 said:

im using 64-bit workaround.

Are you aware why there is a 64 bit workaround? Its because the authors of several mods were so fed up with the massive amounts of problems and bug reports caused by 64 bit so they decided to make it so that their mods disable themselves in 64 bit. Then someone decided to go against the wishes of the mod authors and re-enable many of the mods in 64 bit using a work around. By installing the 64 bit workaround, you are circumventing the wishes of the mod authors who have put an incredible amount of time and effort into providing you quality content for free.

Yeah, 32 bit ksp limitations suck, but the 64 bit buggyness sucks even more. And there are a lot of ways to lower your RAM usage in 32 bit KSP. I have parts from both FASA and AIES along with parts from a ton of other mods running in 32 bit KSP with forced openGL mode, and its only using 1.5 gb of memory.

Or if that doesn't work for you, just be patient, there is a good chance that a much less buggy version of 64 bit KSP will be released at some point after KSP gets upgraded to Unity 5.

1 hour ago, Rabada said:

Are you aware why there is a 64 bit workaround? Its because the authors of several mods were so fed up with the massive amounts of problems and bug reports caused by 64 bit so they decided to make it so that their mods disable themselves in 64 bit. Then someone decided to go against the wishes of the mod authors and re-enable many of the mods in 64 bit using a work around. By installing the 64 bit workaround, you are circumventing the wishes of the mod authors who have put an incredible amount of time and effort into providing you quality content for free.

Yeah, 32 bit ksp limitations suck, but the 64 bit buggyness sucks even more. And there are a lot of ways to lower your RAM usage in 32 bit KSP. I have parts from both FASA and AIES along with parts from a ton of other mods running in 32 bit KSP with forced openGL mode, and its only using 1.5 gb of memory.

Or if that doesn't work for you, just be patient, there is a good chance that a much less buggy version of 64 bit KSP will be released at some point after KSP gets upgraded to Unity 5.

I know that this is 64-bit and its a bit unstable, but im asking beacause i tested fasa and aies only with RSS+RO on 32-bit game and it still gets stuck loading parts. Also, i installed mods using CKAN

AND mod doesn't disable itself. It just gets stuck at the loading screen at that part

Edited by Joco223

39 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

I know that this is 64-bit and its a bit unstable, but im asking beacause i tested fasa and aies only with RSS+RO on 32-bit game and it still gets stuck loading parts. Also, i installed mods using CKAN

Well, if it helps I can confirm that I was able to get KSP to start with both FASA and AIES installed via CKAN, with no issues, your problem probably lies elsewhere. Your issue is probably difficult to pinpoint without the proper log files and such.

14 minutes ago, Rabada said:

Well, if it helps I can confirm that I was able to get KSP to start with both FASA and AIES installed via CKAN, with no issues, your problem probably lies elsewhere. Your issue is probably difficult to pinpoint without the proper log files and such.

Ok it looks like im hitting the memory cap with mods. I deletd FASA and AIES and now its getting stuck with other mods. I will try to reinstall everything and if that doesnt work i will lower the mod count

-EDIT-

I't still doesn't work but i think i may have found the problem. When it gets stuck at loading a part the debug screen says this:

[Exception]: MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ModuleEngines.Flameout'.

What may be causing this?

Edited by Joco223