[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

7 hours ago, TrooperCooper said:

I'd suggest to uninstall Tweakscale if you want to play RP-0.

Isn't that the rescaled fin bug? Or is there a new levitation bug? If it's the fin bug, all you really have to do is increase their mass (strength) to offset the negative weight until the dv with the part is lower than without it.

Edited by algeo

4 minutes ago, algeo said:

Isn't that the rescaled fin bug? Or is there a new levitation bug? If it's the fin bug, all you really have to do is increase their mass (strength) to offset the negative weight until the dv with the part is lower than without it.

Oh I already noticed this bug. I came to the conclusion that it was rescaling fins and I was right.

4 hours ago, algeo said:

Ah didnt know about that workarround. Thanks. :)

23 hours ago, wonderwulf said:

Hello all, I recently started an RP-0 playthrough and so far am thoroughly enjoying it. It is difficult, but rewarding. Right now I am having a problem with the x-ray detector overheating inside of a procedural fairing while trying to fulfill my first satellite contract. I see that its maximum temperature is ~450K which it reaches pretty quickly. Has anyone else had issues with parts overheating inside of a fairing? I'm not sure what to do about it, short of finding the appropriate config file and upping the max temperature of the part to that of the Sputnik part. Any suggestions?

Am having exactly the same problem and I can't progress in my career because of it. If I use the normal sputnik its too heavy and I don't have enough delta v .

3 hours ago, Kingbowie said:

Am having exactly the same problem and I can't progress in my career because of it. If I use the normal sputnik its too heavy and I don't have enough delta v .

I just did that contract, the core did not overheat. It did immediately show an overheat bar that stayed there the entire time, but it never went to more than 20% full (that was when I staged in the upper atmosphere). Once in space there wasn't any problem. At what point does it overheat? How fast is the rocket?

On 14.5.2016 at 8:31 PM, NathanKell said:

Can anyone else confirm the Tiny Tim issue? I am not aware of any problem with it.

I really don't know why you are having wing issues. Again I suggest going back to just the mods marked 'required' or 'recommended' in the RP-0 ckan listing, perhaps in a fresh KSP install just to be sure.

I think I will wait another couple days before trying again. Can't really play without Science Alert anyways ;-)

btw the Tiny Tim booster has 'Tank Type' "** not found**". If installed, it will have a node with a question mark in the staging list, but only during flight. It's also sort of working, but no flame or exhaust plume.

This might be a really stupid question, but has anybody tried transfering their savegames from a 1.05 ckan RP0 install? Any issues I should be aware of?

I already learned about the tweakscale fin bug and I know the soviet engine pack seems to be working but can anybody confirm if the FASA pack works without issues? I'm not using any fancy parts, just the engines and launch towers.

Finally, a big thank you to the modders for making this happen! Even though it crashes every 5 flights and it takes about 10 minutes to boot due to memory issues, I have had an absolute blast playing tons of KSP thanks to you guys! Cheers all around

@Nobody6 I have no such issue. I think you have a problem with your RealFuels installation. Make sure you have RF (and its dependencies, Community Resource Pack and Solver Engines) installed, and you do _not_ have Modular Fuel Tanks installed.

@android65 as the changelog states, that should work fine.

On 5/15/2016 at 1:17 PM, wonderwulf said:

Hello all, I recently started an RP-0 playthrough and so far am thoroughly enjoying it. It is difficult, but rewarding. Right now I am having a problem with the x-ray detector overheating inside of a procedural fairing while trying to fulfill my first satellite contract. I see that its maximum temperature is ~450K which it reaches pretty quickly. Has anyone else had issues with parts overheating inside of a fairing? I'm not sure what to do about it, short of finding the appropriate config file and upping the max temperature of the part to that of the Sputnik part. Any suggestions?

Having the same issue. I've noticed if I just sit on the launch pad the heat slowly goes up but when I launch it will slowly go down. However, the overheat gauge never goes away. Once I hit 20km it'll start going back up again and explodes at 35km.

I'm on fresh install of only RP-0 and it's dependencies/recommendeds. The exact craft had no problems before updating a couple days ago. Unfortunately ckan updated 4 or 5 mods and I don't know which ones they were.

15 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Nobody6 I have no such issue. I think you have a problem with your RealFuels installation. Make sure you have RF (and its dependencies, Community Resource Pack and Solver Engines) installed, and you do _not_ have Modular Fuel Tanks installed.

All checked. Anyway, let's try again!

@NathanKell

1. Clean Install.
  2. add CKAN
  3. select RP-0    ->    auto-select RSS Textures (8k)
  4. Install adds: Module Manager, Realism Overhaul, Advanced Jet Engine, FAR, Mod. flight Integrator, Solver Eng., KJR, RealChute, Real Fuels, Community Resource Pack, RealHeat, Real Plume, SomeScreen, Stock Extensions, Firespitter, Contract Configurator, Custom Bar Kint, Deadly Reentry, Ven's Stock Revamp, Comm. Tech Tree, RSS, Kopernicus
  5. Reccommendations add: KCT, Taerobee, SCANsat, KerbalRenamer, ShipManifest, CLS, HangarExtender, MechJeb2, B9 wings Fork, Proc. Fairings and Parts, KSCSwitcher, RemoteTech, SemiSat.RW, TACLS Config, TextureReplacer, Toobar

at least that was the plan, ckan now fails to install anything. It will download lots of stuff and it seems to install things, but in the end I always end up back at the RSS texture selections screen and nothing has been added to the GameData folder. If I want to check the logs, CKAN just crashes and quits. GREAT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAKE 2 (actually 3 or 4)

1. wiped the folder, copied KSP 1.1.2 into it
  2. added CKAN
  3. installed mods "backwards": first Kerbal Engineer then Realism Overhaul, Real Solar System and last RP-0 (all with their dependencies).
  4. created the "NonNoRP0" directory in hopes to hide many parts
  5. load the game, trick didn't work (Why anyone?)
  6. Build Sounding Rocket
  7. Selecting the "Tiny Tim Booster" from the parts list immediately crashes the game
Edited by Nobody6
Added new try

On 5/13/2016 at 2:10 AM, Three_Pounds said:

Could it be that support for universal storage was dropped or is currently broken? I have it installed, but parts are not showing up. I have the non-rp0 parts hidden with the Gamedata/NonNoRP0 trick.

Can you elaborate on this trick?  I'd love to hide the non-rp0 parts.  Nevermind...found it a few pages back. 

Also, RSS/RO/RP-0 is SO MUCH harder.  But way more rewarding, took me a week to finally get into orbit.  Finally getting past the urge to chuck my laptop everytime I start up the second stage and get "vapor in feedlines".  This way of playing certainly has more problems to solve and more to learn about.  Very good. 

Edited by jdub3350

1 hour ago, leudaimon said:

Just create an empty folder in the gamedata folder, named NoNonRP0 (Yeah, looks like witchcraft, but it works!)

It does seem like witchcraft, but I tried it at lunch and it definitely worked! 

@Nobody6 since no one else has reported these problems, I continue to have no choice but to think it's an install issue, sorry.

@jdub3350 MM may be close to witchcraft, but it's not quite witchcraft. It's that I set things to hide if the NoNonRP0 mod is installed, and MM builds its modlist from, amongst other things, folders in GameData.

Lol I've got it all working now, but found another wonderful problem,   vapor in fuel lines.... but mine is a bit different, I get while Ive been in a state of acceleration for a good while and around 15k to 22k, and my engines crap out with a quarter to half a fuel tank left .  No staging.   I use a set of 4 tiny Tim's on launch after I've got the areobee started up to get me power blasted thru lower atmo and drop them in less than 3 seconds after ignition around 200m.     So I'm in a steady burn all the way up and fuel is very stable to said altitude then rapidly almost a nano second it goes unstable and craps out.    On a smaller model not as tall I was able to burn to 30k no issues at an apoapse of 36k.   I'm trying to break atmo and hit space but I'm stuck at 36k...   any ideas?  

Yes these are sounding rockets 

Hey guys, I'm noticing many duplicate engines in seperate nodes of the Tech tree, around 5 F1 engines, and 2 separate RS25-D (one in modern rocketry and one in refined rocketry, as 2 examples but there are many more. Is there a way I can safely prune some engines so I'm not quite so overwhelmed in the engine section of the VAB/SPH and in the tech tree? I have 2 part packs that add engine parts- the Near Future Propulsion pack and FASA's engines.

23 hours ago, bopok said:

Having the same issue. I've noticed if I just sit on the launch pad the heat slowly goes up but when I launch it will slowly go down. However, the overheat gauge never goes away. Once I hit 20km it'll start going back up again and explodes at 35km.

I'm on fresh install of only RP-0 and it's dependencies/recommendeds. The exact craft had no problems before updating a couple days ago. Unfortunately ckan updated 4 or 5 mods and I don't know which ones they were.

I have this problem too.

2 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Check your burn times. Make sure they're not greater than your engines' rated burn times.

Well that kinda makes senses, except the smaller rocket seems to burn longer..... hmmm I'll try that and check into it... I'll post results

12 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Nobody6since no one else has reported these problems, I continue to have no choice but to think it's an install issue, sorry.

That crash seems to have cured it... at least nothing has gone wrong since that so far. The non rp-0 parts are gone, too.

Something else I noticed (Bug or feature?):

I use cursor keys a lot move my view. Now, if I have the context menu, of say a procedural tank, opened many of its parameters will randomly(?) change if I do that. Kind of annoying.

Probably intended on the other hand is that the context menus stay in place were they popped up, but irritating if you're used to move them into a better place by moving the camera. Guess I'll have to re- (or un-) learn that.

Edited by Nobody6

On 14.05.2016 at 9:57 PM, Kerbonaut257 said:

So I recently downloaded RO and RP-0 and all the mods and am having fun failing miserably at rockets again. However, what is the point of testflight? I made a rocket with a thrust plate & 8 aerobee engines in symmetry, and I can't even get past 10,000 meters without one of the engines failing??!? And the rest fail soon after the first! And I have 10,000 du (data units??) on it, so I've got the max data on the part, which makes me think it won't ever get more reliable. Why are they failing so much? how the heck am I supposed to play the game if the engines fail within a minute of ignition? Am I missing something?

I'm definitely considering just removing testflight because it's not fun. Unless I'm missing a way to improve the reliability so that stuff doesn't fail after literally one minute.

In addition. What do I do with all the parts that say "nocost" on them?? I don't understand the footnotes in the part descriptions.

On 14.05.2016 at 11:10 PM, Three_Pounds said:

Every technological product is designed and built with a life span / operation time in mind. It's 50s for the Aerobee. They aren't supposed to fire longer than that. I imagine at this point, debris is building up on the nozzle altering the exhaust gas flow, parts of the engine might start to overheat, valves are degrading ect.

From what I can gather, you aren't supposed to go anywhere with the first few tech nodes. It's the early 1950's and capable rocket systems are still in development. So spend your science and timewarp forward a year or two. You'll have some early upper stage engines and simple lifter engines along with some basic avionics available. :)

In a challenge, NathanKell got to orbit with just the starting node and a 40 ton rocket.  So it's possible to do quite a bit.

However, another reason to play with testflight is balance - many engine advances increased reliability, and the aerobee is actually far too good without the short burn limitation.   Switch to useing the A-4 for your lower stage rather than 8 aerobees and you should be able to do suborbital flights pretty easily.   If you need more science, launch sounding rockets from a variety of sites to get more biome data.

19 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

Can you elaborate on this trick?  I'd love to hide the non-rp0 parts.  Nevermind...found it a few pages back. 

Also, RSS/RO/RP-0 is SO MUCH harder.  But way more rewarding, took me a week to finally get into orbit.  Finally getting past the urge to chuck my laptop everytime I start up the second stage and get "vapor in feedlines".  This way of playing certainly has more problems to solve and more to learn about.  Very good. 

This usually happens to me during early flights when I was staging while still in (relatively) thick atmosphere.  The negative G's from drag makes the propellant unstable fast.  You might want to try 'hot staging' like the russians do, where you start firing the engine before you drop the next stage.  Most engines in RP0 have a spool up time anyway.

1 hour ago, Maxsimal said:

This usually happens to me during early flights when I was staging while still in (relatively) thick atmosphere.  The negative G's from drag makes the propellant unstable fast.  You might want to try 'hot staging' like the russians do, where you start firing the engine before you drop the next stage.  Most engines in RP0 have a spool up time anyway.

I've had the best luck with separation motors so far, but I might give that a shot too.  I should have clarified the only reason I've had less of a laptop tossing desire is because I've mostly figured it out, haha. 

Next up...trying to do a Mun flyby. 

Edited by jdub3350

Sorry for all the questions, this all is still pretty brand new to me.  Is the a way to pare down the RP-0 folder in gamedata so that I can use just the contracts from the mod?  I think they are really well done.  That being said, so is the rest of the mod, I am just thinking of ways I could play while utilizing the RO but not RP-0 parts packs.  Nit picky I know.