[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

From the OP:

OK. Thanks. I think that it was not here during 1.2 and I did not read that again when I downloaded a new version. But this is even better, I can change 5x to 3x and 50 x to 32x which are halfway between 10 and 100 in logarithmic scale.

Tried this mod, but I already had so many installed that the game kept encountering the 32 bit max memory limit... Already have aggressive active texture management installed. Is there anything I can do to make this work

Install a Ubuntu partition and play with the stable x64 build.

I'm having an issue with OPM in relation to the Fine Print survey contracts in career mode. I can select survey contracts normally. However, when I go to the tracking station and then switch focus to a New Outer Planet or moon, all of my survey contracts get deleted. As did my 'Explore Sarnus' and 'Explore Slate' contracts. Are other people having this issue, or is it an interaction with my (many) other mods?

This is what I did. Got tired of being limited to what I can do by x32 and just did a small Ubuntu partition so I can use stable x64. Can't recommend this enough.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm noticing people are downloading 1.2.1, even though we got 1.3. Is there something about 1.3 that you're not liking, which is making you go back to a previous version or is there some other reason?

That seems odd, wonder why that would be.

Wrong. Okay this is going off topic of the planets plugin, but for the love of god, installing Linux is not the answer to everything for this game. I am someone that works professionally with Linux and UNIX for many years, I even went to college and learned UNIX. I tried Linux with KSP and my experience was downright awful. Ubuntu is not the answer to everything for KSP. I installed the Linux version of KSP and if anything, I had more problems with it than the windows including but not limiting to:

- problems installing graphical drivers to run games on linux, and even having to install hacks to force my game to use anti aliasing

- mods crashing

- other random graphical issues

- a problem where I basically couldn't pan the camera correctly

- not being able to right click on parts

I finally quit KSP on Linux when my game completely vanished and deleted itself from Linux on Steam for no apparent reason. I lost all my save/progress on that, luckily I had it backed up on Windows. Unless you know Linux really well and/or are willing to spend several days learning it yourself (Linux is MUCH different than Windows and if you don't like terminal you're gonna have a bad time) and potentially risking all of the above problems I have had, installing Linux just for KSP is not really worth it. I recommend this instead if you are having memory issues:

1) Installed texture manager the mod. There are different ways to set it up and it can drastically reduce RAM usage.

2) Use less mods. Don't complain cause you can't use hundreds of mods. I'm sure there are ones you don't utilize that often. Especially turn off the ones that improve the visuals. I only use the skybox one, clouds and atmospheres kill KSP and the game looks pretty nice stock already IMO.

3) Try running the game in OpenGL. There are launch parameters to start the game in Open GL instead, which is said to save up to a couple gigs of RAM for some people.

I just made it to Ovak, it's extremely low G environment actually made it a unique challenge to get into orbit, I almost smashed into the moon and then almost blew out of it's sphere of influence! It's kind of ironic actually. I retired my main interstellar ship/tugboat, it was a massive rocket with tons of fuel tanks I used originally for Jool 5. I redesigned my setup to have a small "apollo" style carrier to ferry my lander around to the Moons once I arrived at Sarnus in a bigger ship. That was a good call because I wouldn't have been able to shed velocity fast enough for the tiny gravity of Ovak with my older ship design!

Note I am playing this to the extreme right now; multi-year missions I require a "habitat" for the Kerbals so they have a place to live and I'm also using life support. Definitely a challenge given Sarnus's distance from Kerbin, had to pack about 7,000 days worth for food and use O2 and H2O recyclers. Looking forward to landing on the other moons.

2015_01_14_00006.jpg

2015_01_14_00002.jpg

I'm having an issue with OPM in relation to the Fine Print survey contracts in career mode. I can select survey contracts normally. However, when I go to the tracking station and then switch focus to a New Outer Planet or moon, all of my survey contracts get deleted. As did my 'Explore Sarnus' and 'Explore Slate' contracts. Are other people having this issue, or is it an interaction with my (many) other mods?

Not noticed that, but I haven't been playing extensive career mode with OPM. I'll try to look out for it next time I play.

I just made it to Ovak, it's extremely low G environment actually made it a unique challenge to get into orbit, I almost smashed into the moon and then almost blew out of it's sphere of influence! It's kind of ironic actually. I retired my main interstellar ship/tugboat, it was a massive rocket with tons of fuel tanks I used originally for Jool 5. I redesigned my setup to have a small "apollo" style carrier to ferry my lander around to the Moons once I arrived at Sarnus in a bigger ship. That was a good call because I wouldn't have been able to shed velocity fast enough for the tiny gravity of Ovak with my older ship design!

Really cool Sarnus exploration mission you've got there. On a side note, I just can't get over how great the rings look in every shot. They can make even the dullest scene pop.

I tried that, but there are some strange things in my disks. I made about 200 GB unpartitioned free space by using Windows 7's disk management tool. Windows show it and everything works perfectly. But when I open Linux (it was Mint) installation program it does not show that space at all. It says that there are some odd partitions which do not correspond to reality. I do not dare to make installation because I do not want that my Windows installation or data files are corrupted. I try to find some solution, but it is not topic of this discussion.

Update on resource mods: Karbonite and other Regolith-based resource mods work out of the box with OPM apparently. Did not know that. In the future a bit more customized support might come, but I'll need to delve deeper into that mod first and see what is necessary in that regard. ORS and Kethane will probably never be supported. ORS seems to be completely dead and Kethane isn't that alive either. If the situations of these mods changes, this point will be reconsidered but for now I don't want to devote time to supporting outdated mods.

BHjSU04.png

Biomes are coming along well. The maps are done and working in-game. We're experimenting with getting all science blurbs working and we'll supply at least generic blurbs (so non-biome specifics) for each experiment on each new moon. That's already a couple dozen lines we have to come up with and biomes would increase that by about ten times. This brings me to the question: would you, the fans of this mod, like to help us with some of the science blurbs for the new biomes that update 1.4 will add?

Biomes are coming along well. The maps are done and working in-game. We're experimenting with getting all science blurbs working and we'll supply at least generic blurbs (so non-biome specifics) for each experiment on each new moon. That's already a couple dozen lines we have to come up with and biomes would increase that by about ten times. This brings me to the question: would you, the fans of this mod, like to help us with some of the science blurbs for the new biomes that update 1.4 will add?

Sign me up, as I'm also helping with the Crowd Sourced Science team

Update on resource mods: Karbonite and other Regolith-based resource mods work out of the box with OPM apparently. Did not know that. In the future a bit more customized support might come, but I'll need to delve deeper into that mod first and see what is necessary in that regard. ORS and Kethane will probably never be supported. ORS seems to be completely dead and Kethane isn't that alive either. If the situations of these mods changes, this point will be reconsidered but for now I don't want to devote time to supporting outdated mods.

http://i.imgur.com/BHjSU04.png

More than happy to lend a hand (just finished a big project so I've lots of free time for the next month); PM me and I'll have a stab at it!

ok was doing a little messing around.

1. works fine with ors no errors

2. if interstellar installed u get ors errors cause interstellar cant figure out where the planets are to do is radiation and waste heat calculations.

3. i noticed when i hyperedited to the planeats i was getting a message in log saying cant find pqs for the planets/gass gaints.

4. kerbal engineer throws errors around the gass gaints since they have no biomes. its fine around the planets.

5. seems they are all missing a pqs so u get this in log but its not spamed its a 1 time thing Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Slate'

well thats what i found in testing. some problems like the kerbal enginner will be fixed when he adds biomes. the other needs to be fixed for mods that use pqs system to figure out where they are.

http://i.imgur.com/BHjSU04.png

As a note on the Regolith based resources, and the planets. Since Regolith resources are biome based, you wont see any dry spots on OPM planets until biomes are implemented.

So basically it means Karbonite, ore, etc. will be found anywhere on the planet ( with variations on concentrations though at least)

Once Biomes are implemented, you'll see resources spawning in some, but not others, just like stock planets.

Okay, noticed another thing -- the distance used to calculate the recovery % for money seems to be off. Maybe 10x high due to the RSS stuff? I don't know, but I was a few klicks west of KSC and got 50% return on a spent stage. Just FYI -- excited about my upcoming Slate base mission!

I have a suggestion. Minimum energy transfers to outer planets takes so much time that if you play simultaneous missions in inner solar system you get all the tech and millions on extra money before your craft encounters for example Urlum. But if there was flyby contracts to outer planets it would be fun to send very small and fast flyby probe during midgame and get points and money when you need them. You could also use interesting slingshot trajectories.

ok was doing a little messing around.

1. works fine with ors no errors

2. if interstellar installed u get ors errors cause interstellar cant figure out where the planets are to do is radiation and waste heat calculations.

3. i noticed when i hyperedited to the planeats i was getting a message in log saying cant find pqs for the planets/gass gaints.

4. kerbal engineer throws errors around the gass gaints since they have no biomes. its fine around the planets.

5. seems they are all missing a pqs so u get this in log but its not spamed its a 1 time thing Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Slate'

well thats what i found in testing. some problems like the kerbal enginner will be fixed when he adds biomes. the other needs to be fixed for mods that use pqs system to figure out where they are.

The moons have inherited the biomes of their templates, so its weird that KE thinks there are no biomes. The gas giants don't have or need PQSes, so you'd probably get the same issue around Jool. The Slate preset thing seems harmless, but I'll check it out nonetheless.

As a note on the Regolith based resources, and the planets. Since Regolith resources are biome based, you wont see any dry spots on OPM planets until biomes are implemented.

So basically it means Karbonite, ore, etc. will be found anywhere on the planet ( with variations on concentrations though at least)

Once Biomes are implemented, you'll see resources spawning in some, but not others, just like stock planets.

The moons have inherited the biomes of their templates (Gilly for Slate, Minmus for Ovok and Tylo for Slate), so that doesn't seem correct.

Okay, noticed another thing -- the distance used to calculate the recovery % for money seems to be off. Maybe 10x high due to the RSS stuff? I don't know, but I was a few klicks west of KSC and got 50% return on a spent stage. Just FYI -- excited about my upcoming Slate base mission!

That's a Kopernicus bug, which the devs are trying to fix but development of that mod is slow. I'll put it in the known bugs section of the OP.

I have a suggestion. Minimum energy transfers to outer planets takes so much time that if you play simultaneous missions in inner solar system you get all the tech and millions on extra money before your craft encounters for example Urlum. But if there was flyby contracts to outer planets it would be fun to send very small and fast flyby probe during midgame and get points and money when you need them. You could also use interesting slingshot trajectories.

Maybe I can figure something out using the Contract Configurator mod. It could trigger after you landed on the Mun pr something. By that point you could have the knowledge and tech to get a flyby going.

To all who volunteered for biomes, I'll try and set something and get back to you. How do you feel about a shared Google Docs spreadsheet? Those can be edited by multiple people and it would show which blurbs would still need to be filled in (although I wouldn't mind multiple blurbs for one setting). If anyone doesn't want to work with a Google product for some reason, I'd love to hear an alternative.

Edited by CaptRobau

seems that somewhere might be koperious doing it but it cant find the pqs for the moons which is causing the issue with interstellar. get this

Line 195208: Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Hale'

Line 325623: Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Slate'

Line 325644: Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Plock'

Line 325673: Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Ovok'

every time i go around them. this is another entry i noitced when its processign the moons Line 132527: pqsController = the pqs controller is empty.

im starting to wonder if kopernicus is having issues assigning a pqs to the moons

Maybe I can figure something out using the Contract Configurator mod. It could trigger after you landed on the Mun pr something. By that point you could have the knowledge and tech to get a flyby going.

To all who volunteered for biomes, I'll try and set something and get back to you. How do you feel about a shared Google Docs spreadsheet? Those can be edited by multiple people and it would show which blurbs would still need to be filled in (although I wouldn't mind multiple blurbs for one setting). If anyone doesn't want to work with a Google product for some reason, I'd love to hear an alternative.

I'm glad you mentioned Contract Configurator, I was going to suggest looking into that for custom contracts for OPM. The author is really active and open to suggestions and advice. As for biomes I think a google docs is a good idea. Should do just like the community science logs. This way we can get a nice collection of blurbs so you don't have many repeating.

- - - Updated - - -

seems that somewhere might be koperious doing it but it cant find the pqs for the moons which is causing the issue with interstellar. get this

Line 195208: Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Hale'

Line 325623: Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Slate'

Line 325644: Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Plock'

Line 325673: Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Ovok'

every time i go around them. this is another entry i noitced when its processign the moons Line 132527: pqsController = the pqs controller is empty.

im starting to wonder if kopernicus is having issues assigning a pqs to the moons

This is "normal" behavior I believe for Kopernicus, or maybe RSS. I'v seen this error pop up in pretty much every new planet that is created. I'v also seen the error appear in the RSS mod (the one that changes stock bodies to RSS) so it may be more related to RSS than Kopernicus. I don't think there is a workaround but I also think it's harmless for the most part. I'd try asking Nathankell.

borisbee i dont think its normal behavor due to fact without a pqs alot of mods will throw errors cause they cant read the height maps of the body u around.looking at all the errors i was getting from varous mods all seem to point to they cant figure out what body im around.

interstellar needs to know your hieight arounda body to process its radaion part. right now it throws errors around the moons cause it is missing part what it needs to know wheere it is. same with the acheivments mod it needs pqs input to know how high u are it was throwing erros same as intersteelar based on it is missing the part of the info i needs namely where the ship is.

all the errors i keep getting all point to 1 thing pqs missing which every planetary body needs far as i know

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.