[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

It would appear so. Science Career should work fine, as would Sandbox

Strange though.... as I have just completed three Tarsier Space ChemCam (basically collect surface sample) contracts on three of Sarnus' moons. Having followed this thread, I figured I'd try to switch screens as many times as possible. I even went so far as to autosave and reload and then quit and restart the game at various points, yet the contracts still persisted and I was able to complete in exactly the same way as if it were all Jool stuff.

One thing that is for sure is that the disappearing contract bug is happening to me 100% of the time when trying to make Contract Configurator contracts involving OPM planets.

So.... either it happens a lot (and it has happened to me in other saves) but not all the time, or maybe there is a mod incompatibility issue confusing things?

I am no expert though.

From the sound of it, it's probably not related to the solar panels. Two large solar panels would give you power even in Jool orbit. Only beyond that would it be troubling even with the big ones. And it would right itself once it was deinstalled, but that didn't happen. So it sounds like it's Interstellar's fault.

So after doing some more testing it appears my solar panels are charging the batteries. I have two of the largest stock solar panels on my ship in Jool's SOI and they're generating 0.63 charge per second (each) but my remotetech antennas are draining at a rate of ~5 charge per second. Does that 0.63 charge per second figure seem reasonable?

So after doing some more testing it appears my solar panels are charging the batteries. I have two of the largest stock solar panels on my ship in Jool's SOI and they're generating 0.63 charge per second (each) but my remotetech antennas are draining at a rate of ~5 charge per second. Does that 0.63 charge per second figure seem reasonable?

considering kerbin SMA is 13 599 840 256, and jool's is 68 773 560 320, and considering that a Gigantor XL Solar Array (which I'm supposing is the one you are using) generates 18c/s from kerbin's orbit, following the inverse-square law it should be producing 0.7034 charge/s when in orbit around Jool

Stock power curve is actually very bad ad simulating the inverse-square law, giving you way more power than you should get (or at least it was last time I checked)

So either they improved it or you have some .cfg in your mods that chages the stock power curve to a more accurate one

I actually use my own power curve which follows the inverse-square law pretty close, this way I can plan in advance how many solar pannels to put on a satellite.

I never went farther than duna with solar tho.

Edited by Sigma88

Hello,

So here I am 5AM cause I wake up and have ideas for fixes in my game...

Because I probly wont use MCE (but I will also probly look at it again I forget why I am not using it), this post:

One thing that is for sure is that the disappearing contract bug is happening to me 100% of the time when trying to make Contract Configurator contracts involving OPM planets.

My post earlier about templates...and one poster said the only multiple template used was off of JOOL...why not use JOOL to make the contracts (for now) to Sarnus, Urlum, (Plock, which in my system I deleted (I have enough to test for now and I couldnt think of anything useful for it; that and memory - wait Plock isnt a JOOL template) and I guess I should look at all the planets/moons and check for multiple templates; so use JOOL then set contract to go to JOOL (in the background) but put the OPM planet in the discription; yes you could pass the contract on JOOL but we would have to voluntarily go to the OPM planets; it should still pass the contract as well as not cause Contract Confgurator problems...?! Just a thought; I havnt got to testing CC as I been still busy with a few stubborn parts that just dont want to work; this is tops on my list afterwards. This idea/format would be the same for the templated moons; ie Tekto templated after Laythe so make the contract off of Layth but use Tekto in the description (??)...

As fot POWER and Solar Panels etc...I plan on doing a Live Stream on this subject when I get Interstellar/WarpPlugin setup...

OPM 1.6 has a Solar Panel Power Curve Adjustment; I want to look at that and real world simulation; I am basing this on gameplay time to get to the planets; Duna seems fine (for my gameplay which is using STOCK KSP size Kerbol System and seems to have the same distance (?)/times to get to Duna anyways). It also seems to me that people have done the research on Solar Panel useage far out and away from the SUN.

Light drops off as the square of the distance...so power probly does the same thing; this Power Curve (key settings?) probly has this in mind or should have for realism; thus a need for nuclear power out in deep space as well as recyclable power; something I just thought of; so far in my research WasteHeat could be used to add to Electric Charge...somehow...a liitle off topic...

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

As fot POWER and Solar Panels etc...I plan on doing a Live Stream on this subject when I get Interstellar/WarpPlugin setup...

OPM 1.6 has a Solar Panel Power Curve Adjustment; I want to look at that and real world simulation; I am basing this on gameplay time to get to the planets; Duna seems fine (for my gameplay which is using STOCK KSP size Kerbol System and seems to have the same distance (?)/times to get to Duna anyways). It also seems to me that people have done the research on Solar Panel useage far out and away from the SUN.

Light drops off as the square of the distance...so power probly does the same thing; this Power Curve (key settings?) probly has this in mind or should have for realism; thus a need for nuclear power out in deep space as well as recyclable power; something I just thought of; so far in my research WasteHeat could be used to add to Electric Charge...somehow...a liitle off topic...

Cmdr Zeta

I have made a cfg to simulate the inverse-square law, if you want I can share my calculations.

What I did is set the power curve points at the semiminor and semimajor axis of all planets in the stock and OPM system, this way when you are around a planet the power you get is as close as you would expect.

I worked on the assumption that the solar panels work always with the same efficiency, converting all the light they get into electric charge. I don't think this is true in real life, but I think it's a fair approximation for a game.

My post earlier about templates...and one poster said the only multiple template used was off of JOOL...why not use JOOL to make the contracts (for now) to Sarnus, Urlum, (Plock, which in my system I deleted (I have enough to test for now and I couldnt think of anything useful for it; that and memory - wait Plock isnt a JOOL template) and I guess I should look at all the planets/moons and check for multiple templates; so use JOOL then set contract to go to JOOL (in the background) but put the OPM planet in the discription; yes you could pass the contract on JOOL but we would have to voluntarily go to the OPM planets; it should still pass the contract as well as not cause Contract Confgurator problems...?! Just a thought; I havnt got to testing CC as I been still busy with a few stubborn parts that just dont want to work; this is tops on my list afterwards. This idea/format would be the same for the templated moons; ie Tekto templated after Laythe so make the contract off of Layth but use Tekto in the description (??)...

This would not help with the issue. The contract system is not failing because it's making missions to Sarnus or making missions to Jool. It could be making missions to anywhere, but it still has to loop over the CelestialBodies the game has loaded to find a destination. That means all of them, even if it's putting together a contract to go to Kerbin. Right now there are either duplicate body indices, or more bodies in memory than are actually in the list of celestials, which is causing an error.

Besides, you typically want to address the actual problem, not the symptoms.

Well, can you please try and fix this in the next update, Capt? Cause this kind of ruins the mod for me and a lot of people. :(

I don't think this is an OPM bug, I think is an issue with one of the mods OPM is using.

So I fear capt has nothing to do with it.

Except changing completely OPM to make it indipendent from those mods, which is not very likely I'd say

Really? SO no way to fix it? That's a shame. ;.; I really don't want to abandon this mod. Do you have an idea which mod is causing it?

If you read the last pages people are suggesting that it may be an issue with how kopernicus creates planets using stock bodies as a template.

I have absolutely no idea if this is what is causing the problem. I usually play science so I'm not really familiar with career

Does anyone know if the disappearing contracts is something that will always happen to a game, or is it something that at times can and at other times won't happen. Because I've been testing it in both 1.6 and my WIP of the future 1.6.5 and in the former they did disappear while in the latter they didn't.

Does anyone know if the disappearing contracts is something that will always happen to a game, or is it something that at times can and at other times won't happen. Because I've been testing it in both 1.6 and my WIP of the future 1.6.5 and in the former they did disappear while in the latter they didn't.

For me every time I accepted an OPM related contract, it, along with any other contracts I had active, vanished upon scene changes, every time.

If I had no OPM contracts active, I did not have an issue.

But...have you tried with the new KopernicusTech release? 0.13 was released last night. I just overwrote my directories with that new release and accepted a few different OPM contracts and tried all the usual things that would normally make them vanish and they did not.

I don't know if it's a fluke, or something in the new KT release fixed it, I'll definitely test it more. I switched vessels, went back and forth between the space center and in and out of buildings and the contracts remained. Previously any one of those actions would wipe the contracts away but not now. Hopefully whatever they did fixed the issue? It may be too early to start celebrating but I was super happy to see the contracts remain after testing it for a few minutes :)

I don't know about the contracts bug, but using the new KopernicusTech 0.13 release fixed the bug I was having where rings and the shape of Ovok and Hale weren't being loaded :D

(I had a workaround but now I don't need it)

Well I spoke too soon.

I don't know how/why the contracts didn't vanish after the first, initial launch of the game with KopernicusTech 0.13, but now on subsequent game launches they disappear like before. I also still cannot see Sarnus rings or Ovok in it's correct shape from a desktop icon launch :(

...have you tried with the new KopernicusTech release? 0.13 was released last night. I just overwrote my directories with that new release and accepted a few different OPM contracts and tried all the usual things that would normally make them vanish and they did not.

I don't know if it's a fluke, or something in the new KT release fixed it, I'll definitely test it more. I switched vessels, went back and forth between the space center and in and out of buildings and the contracts remained. Previously any one of those actions would wipe the contracts away but not now. Hopefully whatever they did fixed the issue? It may be too early to start celebrating but I was super happy to see the contracts remain after testing it for a few minutes :)

This is my experience also. I kept a backup of old KT stuf to switch in out in too, seems that (for me at least) using the latest KT has solved some contract issues. Haven't tested with Contract Configurator yet though.

Interestingly, I also installed Trans-Keptunian and the OPM rings lost their custom appearance. A hit I'll take if it means more outer planets and contracts to go with them

- - - Updated - - -

Well I spoke too soon.

I don't know how/why the contracts didn't vanish after the first, initial launch of the game with KopernicusTech 0.13, but now on subsequent game launches they disappear like before. I also still cannot see Sarnus rings or Ovok in it's correct shape from a desktop icon launch :(

This is not happening to me.

This is my experience also. I kept a backup of old KT stuf to switch in out in too, seems that (for me at least) using the latest KT has solved some contract issues. Haven't tested with Contract Configurator yet though.

Interestingly, I also installed Trans-Keptunian and the OPM rings lost their custom appearance. A hit I'll take if it means more outer planets and contracts to go with them

- - - Updated - - -

This is not happening to me.

I've copied my install, and trimmed out all other mods except E.V.E., DDSLoader and TextureReplacer in case it was a mod conflict, and the vanishing contracts issue persists. The thing I'm most puzzled about is how the issue seemed fixed the very first time I fired up the game after the new KopernicusTech update, then it went back to SNAFU.

I am still not having any more contract issues - I have not yet checked out beyond Sarnus though (not sure if that really matters, but bugs can be odd things sometimes). I am, however, still having issues if the contract in question is tied to a planet with Contract Configurator - such as those that include the line 'targetBody = Sarnus' and/or its OPM added moons - nothing any OPM devs can do about that, but still true nonetheless. As a point of note, these contracts work fine if you change all the values to Jool and moons.

Generated contracts (if OPM modded these in, I am unaware) - such as 'Explore Tekto' - are not (it seems) giving me issues. This includes autosave loads, game reboots, and screen changes of every description.

I'm running KSP 32bit on Win 8.1.

Trying to make my own based off ones like those, yes. So using that type of code makes contracts disappear when you put in OPM planets.

But none of the current CC packs (currently) touch non-stock planets so they are compatible with OPM

I've tried switching to the latest version of kopernicus tech, and while it's not 100% fixed it does make a difference. Contracts (even for the outer planets) are surviving switching views etc. The one-time "Explore planet" contracts are still broken though. They vanish on switching views, and they also mess up the drop down contract view in the main screen. At least they don't take all the other contracts with them any more which makes things rather more playable.

Unfortunately I've already found an unrelated new bug after updating Kopernicus. Aerobraking into Urlum, which was working fine before, now results in decelerating at about 30g the moment the atmosphere registers.

After my topographic map of Slate...

A topographic map of Wal ! The equatorial mountains are REALLY visible.

jahTDYH.png

My goal is to try to get the topographic ScanSat maps of every OPM moons.

EDIT : My 100th post!

Edited by Elowiny

After my topographic map of Slate...

A topographic map of Wal ! The equatorial mountains are REALLY visible.

http://i.imgur.com/jahTDYH.png

My goal is to try to get the topographic ScanSat maps of every OPM moons.

EDIT : My 100th post!

I'm currently sending scansat missions all over the system as well, I hoped they would introduce also a color map for the planets and moons but seems like that's not going to happen. I would love that

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.