Is KSP dying?

bartekkru99

I've been seeing less going on recently, probably because it's late in the update cycle. When the new update comes out more people will be posting and commenting, and there will be new features that can be used for new craft on the Spacecraft exchange, new questions and discussions, new challenges, etc.

However, I really think that a lot of the "good ideas" for challenges and crafts have already been made. There are fewer unique things left to do, which won't change very much with a few new parts. The aero update will probably spawn loads of plane challenges, but nothing substantially different than what's already there. IMO, the updates that have probably made the most difference in recent history were Science, Career, and Biomes, since they introduced new mechanics that could be used for challenges and new things for players to try and stay interested in the game.

...Have you even *tried* the new career mode? They not only avoid hand-holding, they chop off your hands and won't let you upgrade back to andriod hands until you at least orbit Kerbin manually....

Does anybody here want *less* pretty explosions?..

Lastly, I think the "gamers" are more likely to keep trudging on to put a flag on every planet/moon...

Yes, I've tried career mode. It holds my hand by telling me what I have to do. Hand-holding doesn't mean "easy", it means "do this".

Explosions, hyper-graphics and other eye candy do not make good gameplay, just as popcorn doesn't make a good meal.

Yes, gamers will probably put A flag on every planet/moon, if they don't stop once the tech-tree is unlocked. Then they'll stop because they "won".

Putting it together - the more structured and directed a game, the more it appeals to the mass audience because it tells them what to do in order to "win". The very concept of "winning" in a non-adversarial game is counter-productive to long-term replay value and community though, in that once done, it's done. If I build a fleet to "win" KSP it'll always work. The replay value, for geeks, is doing it better next time - for a given (and user-selected) value of 'better'. That's something the geeks will stick at, not gamers dedicated to graphics.

Change of subject - Another vote for Homeworld, it's a forgotten treasure :-)

^^^^ This

If this thread had like 1 or 2 responses then the answer would be "yep, it's dying." We're on what... page 9?

Hardly. Dying doesn't mean gone.

All it tells us is that there is enough people to comment to get us to page 9. It certainly is an interesting topic.

All in all, come what may, everything must die at one point.

Slimming down perhaps, dying I doubt it.

The original hyper-enthusiasts feel like they've seen it all, and yet the game still hasn't officially launched. There's been rather too much time between early access and launch to allow a smooth growth, but I expect an influx of new players will happen with 1.0 when a bunch of review sites get hold of it :)

At 822 hours logged on Steam I think I can competently argue that one of the top things KSP has going for it is long term playability!!

This, the problem is that most long term players has done everything, you have done the grand tour, Eve accent is done with an standardized ship, landed an class E astroid at spaceport.

Stuff who could expanded gameplay like lots of new planets or constructions on an far more massive scale don't work because of engine and memory limits but even this would have had limited impact.

You get bored by most games after 1000 hours no matter that.

^^^^ This

If this thread had like 1 or 2 responses then the answer would be "yep, it's dying." We're on what... page 9?

This is page 3. Number of posts per page is adjustable.

Your post will always be #83 though.

This is page 3. Number of posts per page is adjustable.

Your post will always be #83 though.

Holy #*&@! I didn't know you could do that. Thanks!

But on my settings, this is actually page TWO! I take it all back. KSP IS dying!

I kinda have to post my own theory on this slowdown, in addition to the between-release-slump (and bear in mind, although my forums account isn't that old, I've been playing since the first public version, 7.something, and have lurked on the forums just as long): These forums have been here for years. Since the game started, I've gone through many changes - the largest being that I went through my 3 years of high-school, and started university. A practical (though sad) result of that is that I don't have time for everything that I used to do. My point is that I'm sure that many of the older/original players have also changed or have had their lives change while enjoying KSP and being part of the community, and it may just be a case of people moving on in life. Will the forums die out? No way. As others have written here before me, there will always be a core of KSP fanatics (for lack of a better term :) ), but also you will be seeing many new players, and returning old players.

Edited by eitan55
stupid typo...

This, the problem is that most long term players has done everything, you have done the grand tour, Eve accent is done with an standardized ship, landed an class E astroid at spaceport.

Stuff who could expanded gameplay like lots of new planets or constructions on an far more massive scale don't work because of engine and memory limits but even this would have had limited impact.

You get bored by most games after 1000 hours no matter that.

Yes, that was the part that I didn't say. After 800+ hours I'm just a bit burnt out out. It's no doubt the same thing for other people that have been playing that long and longer, there's not a lot of magic left. A new generation seems needed, but now that the game is close to release, it's in a lot of ways too much of a game, and not enough of a toy anymore, to maybe inspire the same type of discussion as it did, say pre-career mode.

The volume of responses to this thread certainly doesn't suggest it's dying though!

KSP only dies if you believe so...or at least that's what I like to think. My opinion? Absolutely not! KSP's community is getting bigger and bigger every day, and the growth I've seen even from when I joined (back in 0.20) is mind-blowing. Furthermore, KSP has gotten the attention of the world's largest space organizations, including NASA, the European Space Agency, and SpaceX. Wow! My only fear is that KSP will get too big, much as Minecraft has. In this case members are so far apart hardly anyone can communicate. The community tears itself apart and all relationships with the game are destroyed. KSP, being the amazing game it is, does not deserve in the slightest this type of fate.

Maybe I'm oblivious to the world around us, but to me KSP only continues to grow. My fingers are crossed it won't go too far, either.

EDIT: 1,000 posts! Woohoo! :D

"What's that, KSP? You're getting weaker? You're going to die? Oh no!

Wait...what? I can barely hear you.

You say that you'll get better if all the boys and girls out there just believe in kerbals?

Come on everybody! We can do it if we just believe!

Clap your hands if you believe in kerbals!

Clap your hands if you believe in version 1.0!"