The Rocket Printing Hype Train Thread

Whirligig Girl

TBH this is nothing that couldn't be done before ... it just required that you knew a bit of 3D modelling programs and that you had a 3D printer handy.

It was certainly possible before, but a lot of work has gone into making it easier. Dasoccerguy has spent dozens of hours working on it, and even then, it's not a trivial task to get from the raw model in Blender to something printable. Then of course, you have the cost of the 3D printer itself and the materials.

http://i.imgur.com/zkRd8MM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And it looks like 1.0 will have a new texture for decouplers.

That is so cool. I really love the yellow color of the craft: does the 3d printer take mods like KerbPaint?

Also, the detail on the nose, that fuzzy stuff? I didn't know that 3d printers could even do that!

It almost looks edible.

Oh, wait a minute... :)

In all seriousness, that's really cool Gregrox! I want to 3d print my own banan-errr-rocket now. :wink:

-Upsilon

Is the material like the Full Color Sandstone offered by Shapeways? Or is it ABS?

I've read many complaints about the "rough" nature of 3D printed objects, but I've also heard of the acetone vapor smoothing method - essentially, expose the printed model to heated acetone fumes, such that the surface partially dissolves and forms a smooth finish.

Or would that cause the structures / colors to run?

Such rocket. Much texture. Wow. So space. ;)

That is so cool. I really love the yellow color of the craft: does the 3d printer take mods like KerbPaint?

My guess is that's actually a white balance problem. 500 space bucks says it was a Canon camera. Decent picture, nice flash....white balance? That's a thing?

Unfortunately I tried to work my photo wizardry to fix that, but my photo wizardry dates back to a time when windows was called 'XP' and didn't suck (well, it did, just less), and Corel AfterShot Pro was called 'Bibble' and didn't suck (sure, it's not Photoshop or ACR, but it also wasn't a massive security risk nor two thousand dollars).

Apparently only click-white works now for ASP on jpegs (yes, a RAW file would be so much better to white balance, but one wasn't provided!). Bibble had no problems with manual trim for white balance. /golfclap for Corel, the buy-and-wreck company. EA Mk II!

My guess is that's actually a white balance problem. 500 space bucks says it was a Canon camera. Decent picture, nice flash....white balance? That's a thing?

You realize I was referring to the banana on the right of the image, for scale... right? :)

http://i.imgur.com/zkRd8MM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And it looks like 1.0 will have a new texture for decouplers.

- - - Updated - - -

But no official conclusion.

Is it 1.0? the antenna looks more like the old 0.20 design and you can not use octo2 alone without an reaction wheel on a probe.

The RTG is a bit to short but this might be the printer.

I tested it with the new antenna and octo, it has 4 km/s left in orbit. Works well but has too high TWR especially on upper stage, I would replace the upper stage engine with an 909 as its only used to circulate anyway and would have 5.5 km/s left where. Yes making the probe heavier would help even more but would not look so good.

You realize I was referring to the banana on the right of the image, for scale... right? :)

Ah, I see. No, no I didn't, the horrid white balance basically filled my eyes with yellow, so it's hard for me to even realize there's a banana there. I actually suspect the banana is in fact not ripe yet, and that the poor white balance turned it yellow.

Seriously though, I shoot Canon gear, and that looks like Canon white balance or lack thereof (and it really is bad, the $1500 semi-pro bodies I use have less white balance capability than your typical smartphone).

TBH this is nothing that couldn't be done before ... it just required that you knew a bit of 3D modelling programs and that you had a 3D printer handy. In fact the fact that this follows 48h later of a reddit/KSP forum posting explaining exactly what you needed to do to export .craft files to a 3D modeling program format in a mostly friendly way makes me wonder ... :D

And here was I thinking that we would get some Space X/Roscosmos/ESA/JAXA parts ... :/

I was hoping for an ESA or SpaceX post too...

Oh well, I seem to be the minority that feels this is dumb as hell lol.

Per the AMA on reddit, prices range from 100 to 200 dollars. I think I'll pass...

edit: Specifically it's a "Small", "Medium", and "Large" size, for 99, 140, and 200 dollars respectively, all including shipping.

Edited by NovaSilisko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.