[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

thats by bug catcher that I've had up in my save game for months (i had to reload a quicksave yesterday when i screwed up some things thats why the flight time is only at 38 mins). I'm not too sure if theres some random factor that could contribute to the bug happening, howerv in the last couple months I've never lost a ship to it...and that net has survived numerous tweaks, reinstalls of both NH+kopernicus, installation and removal of other mods and also lots more stuff that i probably forgot about. I move this save game when KSP changed version 3 times, so it even survived all that! If theres a reliable way to force the issue happening I really have no idea

http://i.imgur.com/DWs6pxS.png

I'm already dissecting that for a Remote Tech network!

What I would suspect is an issue with Kopernicus and New Horizons updates. In particular I wouldn't be surprised if it's caused when somebody uses the "wrong" Kopernicus version for a given NH version, which KillAshley kind of can't do by definition unless you specifically test under more than just one version.

I'd also note that you have a range of inclinations and radii, but all those orbits look pretty much circular. If orbital elements matter then you might want some elliptical orbits in there.

What I would suspect is an issue with Kopernicus and New Horizons updates. In particular I wouldn't be surprised if it's caused when somebody uses the "wrong" Kopernicus version for a given NH version, which KillAshley kind of can't do by definition unless you specifically test under more than just one version.

I suppose that could be, but I just clicked on the link in the OP to get to the Kopernicus thread and download it.

Is there a specific version of Kopernicus I should be using?

I should have one from a point before it got ejected, but I'll have to look when I get home.

Be warned I have a pretty heavily modded game, but I think the station is mostly stock. I may have put an itinerant storage bay or some such thing on it.

that shouldn't be a problem, at worst I could just copy the orbital parameters to another craft :)

So... I accepted a (mod) contract to get materials, goo, multispectral and soil moisture (DMagic Orbital Science) data from around Arin. And I didn't read the bit where it said "if no science data remains you must return the experiments".

In short, I need to get about 0.5 tons of science payload to Arin, and back, within 6 years. The time probably isn't an issue, but it's too heavy for an ion engine, and I max out at 2.5m chemical rockets. I do have nervas at least. TWP says I'll need ~2200m/s to get there, and 3200 to get back; excluding circularising, but I would like some spare. I've knocked aero heating down to jack all, specifically because massive rockets and insertion burns bore me, so I can reasonably say I need 0.5 tons of payload with a minimum of 6km/s in the tank or better. And it's got to cost less than 300,000 roots.

Given that I have to come back, I'm really tempted to send a crew... but my personal rules of play state no less than 3 kerbals when going interplanetary. Which makes it rather hard. I'm eyeing up something basic like;

cI6tAYe.jpg

...but it's not exactly graceful (even after adding nosecones) and uses over half the budget. I'm using Modular Fuel Tanks to remove all the oxidiser and dedicate those grey tanks to pure LF, but even so... ugh. I feel like I can do better.

Anyone want to suggest some ideas? This sort of delta-v doesn't come up much in stock. I used to do SSTOs that could go to Mun and back, but NH is a whole new ballgame xD

Anyone want to suggest some ideas?

Right now I'm a very big fan of using a Nuclear tug. I think my next one will be 4x orange tanks of pure liquid fuel with 4 LVN rockets. Dock your actual vessel to it and use KIS/KAS to strut the 2 ships together and you can easily have enough fuel to bring your other ship wherever it needs to go and back home, then just refuel the tug and use it for the next mission.

This is my first tug, no orange tanks but plenty of fuel. The central column the other ship docks to is pure oxidizer in case the lander vessel needs a fuel boost between missions, as there is plenty of liquid fuel. I also have a small manned ship in the bottom center to house my engineer, I decided to bring one with every long range mission so if needed they can affix spare parts to other craft or detach and rendezvous wherever they may be needed.

ve85nGV.jpg

Anyone want to suggest some ideas? This sort of delta-v doesn't come up much in stock. I used to do SSTOs that could go to Mun and back, but NH is a whole new ballgame xD

Gravity assists. Use Eve, Laythe, heck even Atell could give you a boost or slow you down!

Right now I'm a very big fan of using a Nuclear tug.

I am starting to think that the right answer is to send the transfer stage to orbit separately from the crew ship, yer. Alternatively, I could send something to Arin alongside that would top up for the return journey. Maybe if I gave the orbiter ~4km/s and a docking port it'd come out more reasonable.

Beginning to want a probe in equatorial orbit around every planet, so's I can use them to practise manoeuvre node planning and get some certainty over the delta-v requirements. Could send some pretty minimal things out on the cheap...

Welp, I've got a fairly rudimentary Galactic Neighborhood config working. License is Creative Commons, same as Galactic Neighborhood and New Horizons. It's not particularly good (it just works with NH to replace the stock system with the NH system), but hopefully it'll hold out until if/when a better one's released.

Link

How did I manage to do that :o I stranded Bob on Aptur, with a mere 60 m/s left in his lander. I was biome hopping but I thought I had loads of delta-V left, I don't know where it all went. Maybe on inefficiently hovering around trying to find a flat spot to land. Seriously, what kind of place has craters with bottoms that are on a slope?

Now I need to decide whether to send a rescue ship or have Bob EVA back. I do have Vanguard EVA chutes, but the idea of re-entering in a spacesuit is worrying. Then again encountering Aptur on a timely basis is a bit of a nuisance and Bob doesn't have any noms.

How did I manage to do that :o I stranded Bob on Aptur, with a mere 60 m/s left in his lander. I was biome hopping but I thought I had loads of delta-V left, I don't know where it all went. Maybe on inefficiently hovering around trying to find a flat spot to land. Seriously, what kind of place has craters with bottoms that are on a slope?

Now I need to decide whether to send a rescue ship or have Bob EVA back. I do have Vanguard EVA chutes, but the idea of re-entering in a spacesuit is worrying. Then again encountering Aptur on a timely basis is a bit of a nuisance and Bob doesn't have any noms.

Reentry in a spacesuit is extremely worrying; back in 1.0.2 I tried a reentry from low Laythe orbit in a command seat and Val burned up before reentry effects even started to appear. Despite the fact that she was shielded by the rest of the ship. Don't do it.

Can you try to get him on a Kerbin intercept and send up a well-timed shuttle to rescue him?

Don't, just, just don't. I tried EVAing from low orbit, and even that was too much with Reentry heating at 100%. From Aptur, Bob wouldn't have a good time of it.

So, I think I've noticed a trend to my Mun-escaping satellite: it does that when it's unfocused, after a fast and lot of timewarp (using KCT, so timewarps are frequent)

Am I correct in waiting to update to the latest version of kopernicus on the matter?

Also, is the Aptur 3 contract from here? (the one where you have to visit 3 bodies on the Sonnah system with a single ship) Because it just completed itself by switching to different ships orbiting said systems... my voyager-style multi-planet probe is looking very sad and useless with all that extra fuel in its kerbin parking orbit... oh well, at least I have one more impactor for the mun impact contracts!

I'm quite intrigued by the contracts I'm getting to get atmospheric data from Sonnah... does that mean a plane will work in its atmosphere?

So, I think I've noticed a trend to my Mun-escaping satellite: it does that when it's unfocused, after a fast and lot of timewarp (using KCT, so timewarps are frequent)

Am I correct in waiting to update to the latest version of kopernicus on the matter?

Also, is the Aptur 3 contract from here? (the one where you have to visit 3 bodies on the Sonnah system with a single ship) Because it just completed itself by switching to different ships orbiting said systems... my voyager-style multi-planet probe is looking very sad and useless with all that extra fuel in its kerbin parking orbit... oh well, at least I have one more impactor for the mun impact contracts!

I'm quite intrigued by the contracts I'm getting to get atmospheric data from Sonnah... does that mean a plane will work in its atmosphere?

If you want I can pm you a cfg that I've written to check if my theory about the bug is correct

If you have a reliable way to reproduce the issue than I would like to know if my change will fix it

How did I manage to do that :o I stranded Bob on Aptur, with a mere 60 m/s left in his lander. I was biome hopping but I thought I had loads of delta-V left, I don't know where it all went. Maybe on inefficiently hovering around trying to find a flat spot to land.

Aptur seems to be made of solid nickel-iron (the science defs suggest it is massively ore-rich). It's radius and orbital velocity are pretty small, but it seems to have more on-the-surface gravity than Minmus, where you'd expect it to have less. You really don't want to have to hover over it for long. Best advice is wide landers that can handle a 20 degree incline or more ^^

EDIT: what the hell, the KSP forums have no spoiler tags?

They do, but they need text. Try

{spoiler=this is the title of a spoiler}here is some stuff inside the spoiler{/spoiler}

here is some stuff inside the spoiler

:)

Aptur is half the size of Minmus, but has twice the gravity (0.1g compared to 0.05g).

It's not really any easier than Mun, is it... I guess the return trip is easier, if you're Kerbin-bound afterwards. Still, if the Mun ejection bug gets resolved, it'll be a toss up as to which of the two I want to put my mining setup...

On the up side, Sonnah captures loads of asteroids for easy tapping :]