[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Oh well look at that... It does seem to be happening even with EVE removed... Lemme grab a fresh copy and make sure this one didn't break or something.

Edit: Should've done more troubleshooting before reporting.... Fresh copy fixed it. Sorry about that blackrack :P

Edited by Nhawks17

44 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Oh well look at that... It does seem to be happening even with EVE removed... Lemme grab a fresh copy and make sure this one didn't break or something.

Edit: Should've done more troubleshooting before reporting.... Fresh copy fixed it. Sorry about that blackrack :P

No worries.

On 12/19/2015 at 1:19 AM, Nhawks17 said:

I get this sometimes, especially when I load Laythe and Jool, the game slows to a crawl. I usually just reboot the game and it sorts itself out next time I load the scene.

@blackrack I am experience NullRefs when inside the loading distance for Jool. I first noticed it when I was trying to apply Scatterer effects to an OPM Gas Giant and it was NullRef'ing and slowly the game down to a couple of FPS. In the same install I thought, maybe its the same around Jool and it was. Created a clean Vanilla install and installed Scatterer, MM and HyperEdit, threw a capsule in orbit around Jool and the same thing was happening.

It shows in the log that Laythe is loading correctly but not Jool. Logs attached: http://pastebin.com/qUmmzcJS

It seems that this is tied to Gas Giants only?

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

@blackrack I am experience NullRefs when inside the loading distance for Jool. I first noticed it when I was trying to apply Scatterer effects to an OPM Gas Giant and it was NullRef'ing and slowly the game down to a couple of FPS. In the same install I thought, maybe its the same around Jool and it was. Created a clean Vanilla install and installed Scatterer, MM and HyperEdit, threw a capsule in orbit around Jool and the same thing was happening.

It shows in the log that Laythe is loading correctly but not Jool. Logs attached: http://pastebin.com/qUmmzcJS

It seems that this is tied to Gas Giants only?

Is this a new bug or new to the latest version only? Does it happen with gas giants every single time?

I honestly cannot comment as to whether it is new or not but it is using v0.02182 but it would appear that GregroxMun and NHawks17 experienced something similar, posts dated 18th/19th Dec. 15. It does happen every single time I enter an orbit around a Gas Giant within its loading distance.

Could it be something to do with the fact they have no PQS for Scatterer to affect? No idea... at this stage I am just leaving Scatterer off Gas Giants and removing the included Jool configs for the time being as, like was said, it tanks FPS down to like 1 or 2.

Might be worth asking @GregroxMun and @Nhawks17 if it was an 'identical' issue.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

I honestly cannot comment as to whether it is new or not but it is using v0.02182 but it would appear that GregroxMun and NHawks17 experienced something similar, posts dated 18th/19th Dec. 15. It does happen every single time I enter an orbit around a Gas Giant within its loading distance.

Could it be something to do with the fact they have no PQS for Scatterer to affect? No idea... at this stage I am just leaving Scatterer off Gas Giants and removing the included Jool configs for the time being as, like was said, it tanks FPS down to like 1 or 2.

That's what I was thinking too.

I can't test it myself right now but could you give this quick .dll a try? https://mega.nz/#!HBRDUagB!eMI3cHpBsPSeZltbRshNCgVGr9HWGXYUynme_oZo2CU

Could you also check if it fixes the black sun during sunsets/sunrises that looks like an eclipse?

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

at this stage I am just leaving Scatterer off Gas Giants and removing the included Jool configs for the time being as, like was said, it tanks FPS down to like 1 or 2.

Just tested with stock 0.02182 and with "fixed" .dll and same results with Jool... NullRefs marathon with fps ~0-2. Is there any other temporary tricks than removing Jool config or what does this exactly mean "leaving scatterer off for Gas Giants"? Thanks! :)

Edited by Murdox

There is another problem with gas giants that have rings. I am Running Outer Planets Mod, and scatterer makes the planets appear in front of the rings as shown in the pictures below. Did not know what settings to apply, if any. Removing the entire scatterer folder fixed the problem though.

13 hours ago, blackrack said:

Is this a new bug or new to the latest version only? Does it happen with gas giants every single time?

I'm working on a kopernicus pack, and my game is almost running with negative fps when i try to apply scatterer to a gas gaint.

On 04.01.2016 at 1:36 AM, Nhawks17 said:

Yeah I should also add that I never noticed the sun bug before on any version I've used, but all that matters is that it isn't there now :P 

I've seen this bug, and I confirm, that with new dll it is fixed.

BTW, Another minor glitch related to EVE: Scatterer disables city lights at 160 km:

Spoiler

GlHj4q6.png

Interesting thing about it is that Dynamic Texture Loader solves the problem. Here are two logs of what's going on, in case you have a possibility to look at it:
Without DTL
And with it

On 1/4/2016 at 9:02 PM, Poodmund said:

Same issue. Loaded my ship orbiting Laythe, and the framerate drops to some powerpoint-styled.

Disabled Laythe, and no change.

Disabled Jool, and everything is smooth again.

So, since this thread severely lacked images of Eve, I sent a probe there specifically to observe the famous emerald sunset with Scatterer enabled. Here are the results:

You hear that? That's my jaw shattering against the floor. Now with some fiddling with EVE I'm sure we can obtain this sort of sunrise:

Now, how to change the way the effects scale with altitude? Is changing config point altitudes enough? I want to get the effect from picture 2 and 4 to show up at 1 bar altitude instead of ground level (approx 10-12 km).

On 5/1/2016 at 6:18 AM, SkyKaptn said:

There is another problem with gas giants that have rings. I am Running Outer Planets Mod, and scatterer makes the planets appear in front of the rings as shown in the pictures below. Did not know what settings to apply, if any. Removing the entire scatterer folder fixed the problem though.

I will fix this soon.

59 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

So, since this thread severely lacked images of Eve, I sent a probe there specifically to observe the famous emerald sunset with Scatterer enabled. Here are the results:

You hear that? That's my jaw shattering against the floor. Now with some fiddling with EVE I'm sure we can obtain this sort of sunrise:

Now, how to change the way the effects scale with altitude? Is changing config point altitudes enough? I want to get the effect from picture 2 and 4 to show up at 1 bar altitude instead of ground level (approx 10-12 km).

Great screenshots, well done. It's also pretty cool that nassault gave Eve green sunrises in that old video from way before we had atmospheric scattering.

Anyway, not sure which effect you're talking about but if you're talking about the really intense fog-like haze that's mie scattering, if you want to change at which altitude it shows up you'll have to fiddle with the config tool and change particle height. Keep in mind however it will cause plenty of artifact lines unless you get the values right, also, what may look right at 10 kms high will look like total overkill at sea level, but you're welcome to try anyway, config tool is linked in the OP, you'll have to copy the .raw files generated to scatterer's folder and the settings into the planet config file. In the future I may have a solution to generate configs directly ingame which should make fiddling with this sort of thing much easier. You can change the mie scattering general strength (mie G) and directions (beta_msca) too

31 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

How do we do that?

Not sure why that happens but sometimes switching ships or reloading a game fixes it. And sometimes it's the EVE ocean shaders interfering with it.

Edited by blackrack

56 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Great screenshots, well done. It's also pretty cool that nassault gave Eve green sunrises in that old video from way before we had atmospheric scattering.

Anyway, not sure which effect you're talking about but if you're talking about the really intense fog-like haze that's mie scattering, if you want to change at which altitude it shows up you'll have to fiddle with the config tool and change particle height. Keep in mind however it will cause plenty of artifact lines unless you get the values right, also, what may look right at 10 kms high will look like total overkill at sea level, but you're welcome to try anyway, config tool is linked in the OP, you'll have to copy the .raw files generated to scatterer's folder and the settings into the planet config file. In the future I may have a solution to generate configs directly ingame which should make fiddling with this sort of thing much easier. You can change the mie scattering general strength (mie G) and directions (beta_msca) too

Ok, got one more question then: what are the physical meanings of HR and HM exactly (the half heights)? I suppose one of them is the altitude at which pressure drops by 1/2 (that is 50% of mass is below it and 50% above it) but what about the other one?

2 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

Ok, got one more question then: what are the physical meanings of HR and HM exactly (the half heights)? I suppose one of them is the altitude at which pressure drops by 1/2 (that is 50% of mass is below it and 50% above it) but what about the other one?

The other one is for aerosol particles, the particles that scatter light uniformly at any wavelength, the mie scattering thing we were talking about.

OK, I get it.

I tried to recreate the Emerald Sunrise with EVE+Scatterer but for now EVE 2D cloud layers render in front of Scatterer's effects and are not subjected to them, so it looks like I'll have to wait.

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Not sure why that happens but sometimes switching ships or reloading a game fixes it. And sometimes it's the EVE ocean shaders interfering with it.

I was encountering this 'glitch' if my first loaded, active vessel was one that was landed by ocean. However, if I loaded a craft in orbit first and then switched to the landed craft, the ocean behaved fine. It can be solved as you say above though, just switch craft and then come back and its fine.