Proper Fairings ASAP

How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?  

644 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?

• Confetti style
    • Clamshell style
    • Adjustable Options (eg: 1,2,3, or 4 clamshell pieces)
    • Do not care/unimportant

Look man I really dont want to have a big personal throw-down with you. This wasn't directed specifically at you--it's a general tone I've seen on the board from the barn to female kerbals and a whole bunch of other really minor issues that get blown into the end of KSP as we know it. Constructive criticism is cool and helpful, I just find the intense and totally unnecessary negativity to be a bummer sometimes. Squad is working really hard on this stuff and KSP is incredible. There's nothing like it really. Im just hoping we can have some perspective about these little tweaks, that's all.

You're wasting your energy. Some people will NEVER be satisfied. I tried to say it too when this whole nonsense started and people clearly did not like that. Which on its own is pretty strange as some got mad over my posts while at the same time others gave me rep for it.

I wish you luck trying, but it's easier to teach a rock to swim than to make them see wisdom.

I support having a clamshell separation, be it 2 parts or more (up to 4 maybe ? )

The confetti separation looks very messy and unrealistic to me.

(IRL Why would anyone even separate the fairing this way ? I just don't get it Oo)

Anyway i think that Harvester and the devteam are very smart, definitely enough to realize that this kind of separation is crazy weird, and im pretty sure that this issue will be fixed when 1.0 comes out. I bet i'ts gonna be adressed in tomorrow's Tuesday Devnotes.

Good news everyone! I knew I'd find it!

Felipe (HarvesteR): ...you can already place them in the editor and sculpt the fairing as you wish. The enclosure is subdivided into panels, which can break off individually or in groups, which means we can have full control over how the fairing will come apart once it’s jettisoned1... we can determine the number of panels, the amount (if any) of edge smoothing between panels of different angles, as well as a number of other parameters, on a per part basis...

So we will be able to decide if we want clamshell or confetti or clamfetti.

Crisis averted!

1. Bold added by me for emphasis.

Squad: Hey guys! We baked you a cake!

KSP Forum: BUT WE WANTED WHIPPED CREAM. WHERE IS OUR WHIPPED CREAM?!?

You're right. But.

The one issue where I have very strong feelings is part count. The confetti picture makes me fear the worst.

You're right. But.

The one issue where I have very strong feelings is part count. The confetti picture makes me fear the worst.

The fairing, as Ted explained in a post that was quoted earlier, is handled the same way broken off solar panels are. They won't affect your performance :)

The fairing, as Ted explained in a post that was quoted earlier, is handled the same way broken off solar panels are. They won't affect your performance :)

Hmm. That's neat. I guess the big question is, can you configure the fairings to separate just like IRL fairings, and procedural fairings separate? (large halves, or quarters, not tiny little segments.) Both options would be optimal, we can all agree.

Hmm. That's neat. I guess the big question is, can you configure the fairings to separate just like IRL fairings, and procedural fairings separate? (large halves, or quarters, not tiny little segments.) Both options would be optimal, we can all agree.

Crisis averted!

Yes. He didn't go through all the trouble of looking to be ignored.

Crisis averted!

Is there a link to this quote?

EDIT: Its from the 24th of Feb Dev notes.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111668-Devnote-Tuesday-Fairing-well

So basically, if anyone at Squad would have bothered to drop a quick clarification note to these questions (assuming they actually read them) nearly 100 posts and the associated angst might have been averted. Grrrrr. CRM is not just keeping track of my personal data.

Edited by Wallygator

So basically, if anyone at Squad would have bothered to drop a quick clarification note to these questions (assuming they actually read them) nearly 100 posts and the associated angst might have been averted.

We have recent evidence that refutes this hypothesis. See these devnotes from three weeks back. People immediately started asking whether camera shake could be turned off. HarvesteR did respond and indicate that not only could it be switched off, but that there would be a slider. What happened? People kept adding new posts to that thread asking whether it would be possible to turn camera shake off.

Why do they choose the ugliest pictures to share? Between the first fairing picture and the confetti picture, they could have shown us nice round fairings and x2 or x4 separation, but they opted to show us blocky fairings and confetti. Show us what your features are capable of, not the worst they have to offer lol.

Look man I really dont want to have a big personal throw-down with you. This wasn't directed specifically at you--it's a general tone I've seen on the board from the barn to female kerbals and a whole bunch of other really minor issues that get blown into the end of KSP as we know it. Constructive criticism is cool and helpful, I just find the intense and totally unnecessary negativity to be a bummer sometimes. Squad is working really hard on this stuff and KSP is incredible. There's nothing like it really. Im just hoping we can have some perspective about these little tweaks, that's all.

This. So much this.

Almost practically every move Squad makes is protested upon and bashed by many. Yes, the fairings have flaws with them and all that, but you all don't have to go "This is why we can't go to 1.0!! Squad is soo lazy!!"

Have you seen how dedicated they are to this game's success? I understand that - yes, Squad may have done the wrong move by releasing 1.0 too early, but why throw insults at them regardless how hard they try?

This is just their first game. They're not some sort of Nintendo. Try to be helpful instead of throwing insults at every single mistake they do.

Let's not get into judging people for liking different things, please. This is an aesthetic issue as far as I can tell, and aesthetics are very much a matter of opinion.

I was being a little sarcastic but text doesn't show that very well. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

This. So much this.

Almost practically every move Squad makes is protested upon and bashed by many. Yes, the fairings have flaws with them and all that, but you all don't have to go "This is why we can't go to 1.0!! Squad is soo lazy!!"

Have you seen how dedicated they are to this game's success? I understand that - yes, Squad may have done the wrong move by releasing 1.0 too early, but why throw insults at them regardless how hard they try?

This is just their first game. They're not some sort of Nintendo. Try to be helpful instead of throwing insults at every single mistake they do.

There are masses of topics which we are not allowed to suggest or discuss. So when there is a little bit of error or perceived issue then the entire community jumps on it in a frenzy.

This is normal behaviour for groups that are information starved. We all need to accept that the behaviour is natural and in many ways provides a positive influence to the game design - and yes sometime there will de dissenting voices and a bit of unwanted noise surrounding any topic.

SO (IMO) getting angry (in an attempt to stifle dialogue) at folks who are passionate about KSP is not a productive idea.

ON TOPIC: I am pleased with that the mechanics of the Fairing Design seem to be workable for mocking real world systems - I like it - WELL DONE TED! GOOD FORM!

There are masses of topics which we are not allowed to suggest or discuss. So when there is a little bit of error or perceived issue then the entire community jumps on it in a frenzy.

This is normal behaviour for groups that are information starved. We all need to accept that the behaviour is natural and in many ways provides a positive influence to the game design - and yes sometime there will de dissenting voices and a bit of unwanted noise surrounding any topic.

SO (IMO) getting angry (in an attempt to stifle dialogue) at folks who are passionate about KSP is not a productive idea.

ON TOPIC: I am pleased with that the mechanics of the Fairing Design seem to be workable for mocking real world systems - I like it - WELL DONE TED! GOOD FORM!

Well.. I guess you're right.

I'm relieved! Guess I'm going to use the fairings after all.

I've read that but assumed that this would only become effective once the fairing is jettisoned. What interests me more is how many parts it will be during launch, when it still has to be "of substance". Will every lego brick be a part, or will they be fused in some way? We'll find out soon enough, but of course I'm eager to know.

I've read that but assumed that this would only become effective once the fairing is jettisoned. What interests me more is how many parts it will be during launch, when it still has to be "of substance". Will every lego brick be a part, or will they be fused in some way? We'll find out soon enough, but of course I'm eager to know.

I specifically asked this in a devnotes and HarvesteR answered me. I'm looking for it now but I'm positive it's not "tons of parts" and I'm pretty sure he said that, until separation, it's one part.

Found it! It's one part.

There's only one part, which is the fairing as a whole. Fairing panels aren't independent parts, they're sub-objects of the fairing until you deploy them. A fairing that is 10 sections high and divided into 4 sides would have 40 panels, yes. How many objects this will produce on deployment depends on how they group together (that's next up on my to-do list actually).

As for how the broken-off bits behave after deployment, they are handled as solar panel pieces or engine fairings. They aren't fully persistent (which is good if you like your framerates to be a two-digit number). That doesn't mean they aren't solid objects, however. Point away from face.

Cheers

Also I find what I bolded intriguing. That implies there is possibly a way to group them so they are 2 parts.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I specifically asked this in a devnotes and HarvesteR answered me. [...] Found it! It's one part.

Hey, thanks!

Also I find what I bolded intriguing. That implies there is possibly a way to group them so they are 2 parts.

That has been covered in this thread here: You can define how and where it splits. The picture that spawned the debate was meant to showcase that the system allows for quite complicated setups.

That has been covered in this thread here: You can define how and where it splits. The picture that spawned the debate was meant to showcase that the system allows for quite complicated setups.

Was it? Like, a dev said it? I thought we were just "pretty sure."

Excuse me I have a dozen pages to peruse.

- - - Updated - - -

"Adjustable Options (eg: 1,2,3, or 4 clamshell pieces)" specifialy precludes confetti style. clamshell variations only.

Then the poll is invalid, because it does not have an entry for what I want which is a full range of options.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.