Proper Fairings ASAP

How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?  

644 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want fairings to separate in 1.0?

• Confetti style
    • Clamshell style
    • Adjustable Options (eg: 1,2,3, or 4 clamshell pieces)
    • Do not care/unimportant

Just blink? Seriously? Is it really to much to ask that Squad produce similar or better work than unpaid modders? Maybe I just expect to much from the companies I support.

So much of this!

I hope they release a mini patch to add clamshells. We don't want to wait months for another patch..

And "better" is subjective. You think it's horrifically worse. I think it's different and would prefer clamshells, but will happily use the stock fairings and be happy to check yet another must-install mod off the list.

Finally someone who understands.

So much of this!

I hope they release a mini patch to add clamshells. We don't want to wait months for another patch..

I second this motion. All in favor say 'aye', all against say 'nay'.

I'll happily 'aye' both of those things. I just hope the first patch also has dV readouts.

Seriously? I can't believe this. How could they screw up something so easy?

Did you guys see the limit on how long each fairing segement is? It's ridiculous! Even if they couldn't fuse the segments together, at least let them be longer than one meter! :mad

Almost as disappointing was the Flea booster, which is another 1.25m SRB instead of a much more useful 0.625m one. They also decided to nerf the already useless RT-10. Why SQUAD?

Edited by Giggleplex777

Yes, I'm being serious. Nobody's shown how the fairings work interstage (because they're too busy being "funny" and making sure Val is in every command pod) but if you can keep the vomit down during fairing separation I think it'll work perfectly for a Saturn V replica.

And "better" is subjective. You think it's horrifically worse. I think it's different and would prefer clamshells, but will happily use the stock fairings and be happy to check yet another must-install mod off the list.

I approve this posting. Thank you very much. Also: "nay" to overreacting and drama from the usual suspects.

I am pretty sure that there will be some different styles to chose from in relatively short time. Give them a break, seriously.

Nobody's shown how the fairings work interstage

Not in detail, but someone (Das?) did how basically how it would work. In addition to closing a fairing in a point at the top, you can close it on the outside of a part, so it can work as an interstage fairing, it's just the minor details we don't know.

I second this motion. All in favor say 'aye', all against say 'nay'.

Nay!!! I am a horse!

Jokes, but seriously I like the explosion fairings. I hope they add the option to switch between. Then every one can be happy. =)

I approve this posting. Thank you very much. Also: "nay" to overreacting and drama from the usual suspects.

I am pretty sure that there will be some different styles to chose from in relatively short time. Give them a break, seriously.

This, precisely. Add my 'nay' vote.

Honestly, if SQUAD were to prove they could walk on water in July, there are those who would criticise them for not being able to swim. Lighten up.

This, precisely. Add my 'nay' vote.

Honestly, if SQUAD were to prove they could walk on water in July, there are those who would criticise them for not being able to swim. Lighten up.

Honestly, I think many of the communities concerns are justified.

Given the fact that they're non-persistent debris, having a fairing explode in ten million pieces is less of a concern at this point. As Red Iron Crown pointed out, the benefits of the stock fairings will outweigh the less-than-desired separation for me; and as 5th horseman said, it means one mod less I need to worry about. It'll be nice to have clamshell separation but given what, based on the 1.0 videos, is offered right now, I'll be more than happy with it.

After seeing stock fairings in the preview videos, I think I would continue to use Procedural Fairings mod instead.

First of all, stock fairings look stupid when they explode like a frag grenade.

Second, while I understand the decision of making them non-persistent debris, I still don't like it. ProcFairings require you to be careful with separation - or you may end up with too many debris. I've actually had several close calls with some fairing debris that were separated too late; I like such things.

Did anyone mention how ridiculously heavy the fairings are? a small 1.25m fairing weighs ONE TONNE. Fairings are meant to be as light as possible, not made of solid lead.

After watching some streams I've noticed that crafts acceleration doesn't increase at all when they've jettisoned, even on tiny craft with huge fairings. I think that the weight is on the base part so jettisoning the fairing doesn't reduce the mass.

I hope I'm mistaken though...

Did anyone mention how ridiculously heavy the fairings are? a small 1.25m fairing weighs ONE TONNE. Fairings are meant to be as light as possible, not made of solid lead.

That does seem a bit excessive. The Atlas V 401 has a payload fairing mass of between 2-2.5t, and that's at a 4m diameter.

http://www.spaceflight101.com/atlas-v-401.html

- - - Updated - - -

After seeing stock fairings in the preview videos, I think I would continue to use Procedural Fairings mod instead.

First of all, stock fairings look stupid when they explode like a frag grenade.

Second, while I understand the decision of making them non-persistent debris, I still don't like it. ProcFairings require you to be careful with separation - or you may end up with too many debris. I've actually had several close calls with some fairing debris that were separated too late; I like such things.

I agree. Fairings should be persistent, to make players actually care about debris and the consequences of creating it.

That does seem a bit excessive. The Atlas V 401 has a payload fairing mass of between 2-2.5t, and that's at a 4m diameter.

http://www.spaceflight101.com/atlas-v-401.html

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Fairings should be persistent, to make players actually care about debris and the consequences of creating it.

Yup way too heavy.. Oh god I hope they give us more control over the fairings.. Or its back to custom fairings..

Ive actually seen a few couple of benefits to these fairings.

1- No debris, less parts, less lagg no damge due to seperation

2- good for faked explosions.

However 2 peice fairings would be nice and i always have my debris on unlimited and never have more than 5 peices of debris, also if your having to worry about fairings leaving space debris, your not dropping them early enough.

Ive actually seen a few couple of benefits to these fairings.

1- No debris, less parts, less lagg no damge due to seperation

2- good for faked explosions.

However 2 peice fairings would be nice and i always have my debris on unlimited and never have more than 5 peices of debris, also if your having to worry about fairings leaving space debris, your not dropping them early enough.

You do realise the round-8 has been saved right? :')

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.