Counting down the days: 5

SQUAD

<figure data-url="https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgXAkepo5YS8" data-orig-height="304" data-orig-width="540" data-provider="youtube" class="tmblr-embed tmblr-full"><iframe id="youtube_iframe" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gXAkepo5YS8?feature=oembed&enablejsapi=1&origin=https://safe.txmblr.com&wmode=opaque" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="304" width="540"></iframe></figure>

Don't we already get camera shake? If you go in chase mode, it always makes me dizzy.

That isn't "camera shake." It's a consequence of the camera being nailed into a specific place relative to the craft, and the craft shaking (I assume you have SAS on and are likely telling the craft to hold a specific direction, like prograde or something).

This is shake added to the camera when things are happening, like when something explodes on re-entry. If done correctly (like here) you don't notice it, but get that feel that things are going down.

Nice shake.

That isn't "camera shake." It's a consequence of the camera being nailed into a specific place relative to the craft, and the craft shaking (I assume you have SAS on and are likely telling the craft to hold a specific direction, like prograde or something).

This is shake added to the camera when things are happening, like when something explodes on re-entry. If done correctly (like here) you don't notice it, but get that feel that things are going down.

Additionally, the chase cam is supposed to be reworked and a lot more comfortable to use. :)

So the cockpits have higher heat tolerances (possibly a LOT higher) than whatever was behind that cockpit.

...interesting.

I think it's an anti-frustration feature. It'd be annoying if slightly too little shielding ruined a new player's first return mission, similarly to the high crash tolerances for the same. Or maybe SQUAD is too attached to their Kerbals.

Well, I better start training with stock re-entry. :P

Which is why Sandbox is still useful. A great way to train before attempting anything on Career mode. And yes, I have used the Deadly Reentry mod a few years ago and that alone was deadly.

So that was the intake (whatever you call it) that blew up first, right? Because it was unprotected? Then the command module? Inconclusive?

First the Intake, prob because it has the lowest resistance/is at the front, next one was eitehr the module behind the cockpit, or the planes tail. The cockpit is traditionally a bit tougher than body parts, so I assume that's why it survives longer.

edit: Or maybe open intakes are more vulnerable to heat than closed ones? Might be a factor too.

So that was the intake (whatever you call it) that blew up first, right? Because it was unprotected? Then the command module? Inconclusive?

No. It is conclusive that first the intake exploded, then whatever was behind the command module (cockpit) exploded. The command module (cockpit) never exploded through the duration of the video.

No. It is conclusive that first the intake exploded, then whatever was behind the command module (cockpit) exploded. The command module (cockpit) never exploded through the duration of the video.

Hopefully it won't be the case that the middle of your craft blows up when it's pointed straight into fiery death like that. Intuitively, you'd think the cockpit would be deflecting a lot of the heat outward or something, and that something directly behind it and not bigger than it wouldn't explode. But maybe it was the tail or something on the sides or something else entirely.

Either that spaceplane is coming in way too hot, or air intakes aren't really rated for reentry. I'm going to assume the former, as air intakes are pretty much a requirement for SSTO spaceplanes. Although it would be neat dynamic if you had to close your intakes for them to survive reentry.

My thinking (without any experience in FAR) is to try a shallow re-entry angle, slow rate of descent, perhaps reducing re-entry heating. If that's not possible with a "more conventional" space plane design, another thought I have is to plan for some shielded docking ports up front, fly out as normal, then dock with some prepared heatshield parts, for re-entry. Jettison them when the worst is over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.