Counting down the days: 5

SQUAD

OMG the aerobreaking calculator just got confused!

So... what's my Jool and Eve aerobreaking gonna look like now? It's gonna suck when my spacecraft goes boom so far from home o.0

I can't be the only one thinking this...

Either that spaceplane is coming in way too hot, or air intakes aren't really rated for reentry. I'm going to assume the former, as air intakes are pretty much a requirement for SSTO spaceplanes. Although it would be neat dynamic if you had to close your intakes for them to survive reentry.

They would need to add an auto-configuring action group and key for all intakes if that is a requirement.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

So... what's my Jool and Eve aerobreaking gonna look like now? It's gonna suck when my spacecraft goes boom so far from home o.0

Even with the calculator (and the Trajectories mod) F5/F9 "simulations" are SOP for all aerobrakings. This not changing is just one of the few things I am sure of with 1.0

(Except at Jool. Aerobraking there is harder and less beneficial than using gravity assists)

What we know now...

1) female kerbals clamber with a smile

2) fairings get built in angular bits

3) shock cone intakes have lower heat tolerance than mk4 cockpits

4) the squad video editing program can't handle anything more than 9 seconds

I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your server.

4) the squad video editing program can't handle anything more than 9 seconds

Maybe it's shareware. ;)

No, seriously. That plane is simply coming in too steep. You can see that by the amount of FIRE! Aerobraking can still be done. The experimental team will take care of that ... and Scott Manley is on the experimental team. No way they are going to balance it in a way that breaks aerobraking and spaceplane reentry.

So the cockpits have higher heat tolerances (possibly a LOT higher) than whatever was behind that cockpit.

...interesting.

That's quite logical, I guess. The cockpit is quite heavy, and probably has additional heat tiles. Tanks are basically flying explosive barrels with paper-thin walls, so no wonder they explode easily.

That is exactly the sort of thing the heat shields are for. Don't worry, it won't be as hard as it seems.

you do know they just reenacted columbia dont you?

Columbia had a hole in the wing, and as far as I can tell, that thing had no wings. Also, Columbia didn't have air intakes.

Can someone enlighten me regarding the words "Master Improved"? Huh?

Did they mean Faster, vaster, vastly??? But Master? I don't get it. Ok it's morning here, coffee yet to take hold...

They are telling you that in 1.0 you get to mater the improved aerodynamics.

Edited by Alshain

Can someone enlighten me regarding the words "Master Improved"? Huh?

Did they mean Faster, vaster, vastly??? But Master? I don't get it. Ok it's morning here, coffee yet to take hold...

"Master" is a verb, not an adjective or adverb.

Maybe it's shareware. ;)

No, seriously. That plane is simply coming in too steep. You can see that by the amount of FIRE! Aerobraking can still be done. The experimental team will take care of that ... and Scott Manley is on the experimental team. No way they are going to balance it in a way that breaks aerobraking and spaceplane reentry.

Yes. Trust in the Manley.

That's quite logical, I guess. The cockpit is quite heavy, and probably has additional heat tiles. Tanks are basically flying explosive barrels with paper-thin walls, so no wonder they explode easily.
It also depends on what's in the tank for heat to transfer to. I'm betting that tank was bone-dry. Looks like the new system is working pretty well.

I've been playing with DRE for a long time and spaceplane reentry is not that hard. You just have tu stay in the upper reaches of the atmosphere for as long as possible. You enter half the planet away from KSC and gradualy slow down. If done correctly you will see no flames at all.

I've been playing with DRE for a long time and spaceplane reentry is not that hard. You just have tu stay in the upper reaches of the atmosphere for as long as possible. You enter half the planet away from KSC and gradualy slow down. If done correctly you will see no flames at all.

I would like to see you re-enter with no flames at all. I've been using DRE as well and never achieved such a thing. I've set up aerobraking from 65km and had to go around like 40 times to land and still get flames. I ran out of fuel and barely got it back into atmo with final burn.

The only way that is possible is if you have plenty of delta-v left and burn all your speed off when your coming in, keeping it just below the fire speed.

I ran out of fuel and barely got it back into atmo with final burn.

I wonder how you got your periapse out of the atmo in the first place.

When I aerobrake, I use the trajectories mod to find the periapse that will barely capture me into a higly eliptic orbit. Then I wait a few orbits withou doing any burns. Every time I pass though the atmo at periapse, my apoapse is lowering a little more. My periapse stays in the atmosphere the whole time and is dropping very slowly.

With spaceplanes, the problem is that they are "too" aerodynamic. I deliberately pancake them in the upper atmosphere to get more drag and slow down more. Later, on final reentry, I use the lift of the plane to not fall into the thicker parts of the atmo. Then I do the same maneuver that the real Space Shuttle did. I turn left and right to get a higher angle of attack (and thus more drag) without raising my tractory. When I'm slow enough, I just descend further.

I would like to see you re-enter with no flames at all. I've been using DRE as well and never achieved such a thing. I've set up aerobraking from 65km and had to go around like 40 times to land and still get flames. I ran out of fuel and barely got it back into atmo with final burn.

The only way that is possible is if you have plenty of delta-v left and burn all your speed off when your coming in, keeping it just below the fire speed.

With DRE if you can bleed to 1600m/s before you hit 40Km it can be done. That's with DRE on normal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.