Has anybody seen the Aero-overlay in SPH ?

SkyRex94

Hello and Moin,

So in a DevTuseday some time ago there was a mentioning of a aero overlay in the SPH, similar to FAR but more user friendly easier and intuitive.

Has anybody seen it in any of the streams?

I'm currently thinking if I can reduce my Modload for 1.0 and FAR is a candidate to go if the new Aero is realisitc (enough)

We get mach effects, check

proper lift and shape calcs, check

Flaps and airbrakes, check

Well scott manley said its not fully realistic with a little 'easiness' in there, speaking of mainly high mach numbers and Aerodynamic stress, well I'm fine with that as long as it feels real (which the Beta Atmo doesn't) , but I have to test this myself

P.S.

-DRE will probably go for sure, I play with my own RSS config so I think a 4500m/s reentry might just feel right with the stock Reentry heat (and the difficulty slider)

- I will probably still use KW fairings, because I like the way they seperate, AND I want to have to deal with the Debris and not having them magically dissappear

- I think AJE and KIDS can go , now since the engines will work more realisticly (Thrust changing, basic jet engine not working at higher machs and so on)

- Atomic Age will go to, since the NERVA finally only uses LF

- Adjustable Landing gear MIGHT go to, if I can build good enogh planes with all the new gear

so potentially shaving off 6 Mods with 1.0

Cheers

The new aero is supposed to be realistic, just in the kerbal style: More forgiving and it allows you to do crazy stuff you wouldn't be able to in real live. Like Mach 2.5 on ground level and only melting at Mach 3. FAR will stay the was to go for realistic aerodynamics, and the new devbuild is apparently very promising.

That said, i'm looking forward to the new stock aero. Especially the new chase cam looked sooooooo fun. :D

I didn't see the overlay yet. Strange actually, I just forgot it, and the COL marker was just the same as usual. Also couldn't see more buttons.

Wot, I love those aerodynamic overlays! Really makes me wonder why they hide soooooo insanely interesting stuff in the debug menu. I understand that squad doesn't want to bother new players with a boatload of numbers, but there should be a better way.

Maybe continually unlocking info buttons by techtree might be the way to go.

Edited by Temeter

Why Squad, WHY!!! Why this plus dv plus heat is in the debug menu? Hidden essentially....

Well, TBH, with the "we don't want to scare costumers by showing numbers or complicated looking stuff" stance the devs have, it is a victory already that we have that stuff at all. The aero stuff especially is jarring, given the publicity they gave to that feature in the devnotes ...

That said and quoting the guy KSP-TV chose to open the 1.0 pre-release marathon ( a certain Das Valdez :D ) "not having a dV display showing up in the game is the kind of stuff that makes people to simply drop a game out " . Both of this features could probably not be front page when building stuff, but they should be far more easily accessible than going to what is basically a hidden cheat menu. IMHO they could easily had tucked them in a "[+]More..." button in the ship intel if they are so adamant in that people to not have them showing up at first load ...

I believe the OP's question was about the SPH stability overlay that Harv talked about (and showed) in the dev notes. Since there's been no mention of it since Max mentioned things might get cut, and it's not been seen on any streams...

I believe the OP's question was about the SPH stability overlay that Harv talked about (and showed) in the dev notes. Since there's been no mention of it since Max mentioned things might get cut, and it's not been seen on any streams...

Actually I thought there WAS a note somewhere that said the Overlay would specifically not make it... I forget exactly where though... (may have been something semi-obscure like a post by Maxmaps in the "should we drop features?" thread)

It's a shame that Squad has no control over when they release their game.

yeah, especially since they are an indie studio... The feature drop feels a bit EA there. Well, i think we will get those features sooner or later !

Well... I guess. It's not like someones holding them at gun point though.

It is a business though. If the suits on the top floor want it done, it gets done. ...but, seriously, we have no way of knowing. Max says they set their own dates, but this one felt pretty set in stone. Even Scott Manley said that Ted said it was a "hard deadline" on the 48 hour 1.0 stream extravaganza.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.